Clunking

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Hi,I have a slight clunking noise on my 81 c3 when going from park into gear,, could it be the u joints or gearbox mountings etc,runs fine once in gear, thanks

antijam

CCCUK Member
As Emc suggests, this is just the first thing to get checked since it's a fairly common problem on C3's and particularly noticeable in auto cars.. As you have realised there are several other possible sources of a clunk but since the drive is OK once in motion it shouldn't be something needing immediate attention.

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Thanks,yeh,,goes through the gears,kickdown ok with no noise, clunking etc,,so will check it out when weather permits

Emc

Supporting vendor
Simple job , if it is the cushions gone bad
Disconnect the driveshaft at the diff this will give clearance to remove the bolt
Undo the fixing bolt a wrench will be needed to hold the bolt
Remove upwards
Fit new upper cushion
Refit the bolt
Fit the lower cushion and torque up
Refit the driveshaft

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Done more research on this,,could it be the anti clunk spring in the th350 gearbox that could be the problem too,,,hope not,,,

langlj00

Busy user
I assume the 'clunk' is whilst the car is stationary.
Could be a number of things:
Most likely the rubber cushion at the front of the Diff. but mine was good and eventually solved when I replaced the driveshaft U-Joints.
Does it happen going into forward and reverse gears?
If it happens as you pull away, it could just be the brake pads moving, the original calipers allow a little slop that can produce noise when going from forward to reverse (or vice versa).

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How about jacking the ass end up and blocking the front wheels
Have someone put tranny and out of gears and someone at ass end see if they can focus in where the knock is coming from ?

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Yeh good point,can only assume like other users have said more than likely front diff bushes or drive shaft / half shafts u joints

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
How about jacking the ass end up and blocking the front wheels
Have someone put tranny and out of gears and someone at ass end see if they can focus in where the knock is coming from ?
I would be wary of doing that. With the wheels off the ground the half shafts will be drooping at an angle that the UJ’s are not happy working at which could result in damaging them.
Perhaps keep the car on the ground and use an inspection mirror to check the diff snub.

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Already thought of that,,will prob take it to a mates indipendtant Jag/landrover garage in Sheffield who has a lift,I'm hoping it's just the front diff bushes

Alben78

Well-known user
From memory, and it was some time ago, if it's the drive shaft joints once the rear is in the air it's pretty obvious where the problem is if you rotate the wheels by hand. They seem to show a rusty residue on the spiders as well.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I would be wary of doing that. With the wheels off the ground the half shafts will be drooping at an angle that the UJ’s are not happy working at which could result in damaging them.
Perhaps keep the car on the ground and use an inspection mirror to check the diff snub.

Do not tell anyone but I have done this several times for testing, had my 1999 C5 up to 140 MPH in my driveway :)

Those living near me bitched, I told them to wear earplugs ! :)

Budgie

CCCUK Member
If it's the u joints on the half shafts or drive shaft would it not clunk each time you pulled away from stationery?,it only happens when putting into reverse or drive from stationery