corvette models wanted

kentvette

CCCUK Member
A useful link, thanks! I don't need any more Corvette models, :rolleyes: but I saw a few good looking Land Rover Defender items in very small scale, ideal for my next little "project"! (y)

Roscobbc

I acquired an `in period` 1/18th scale Monogram kit from the US via Ebay of a 1980 -82 C3 . It is mint and in the box and parts still sealed in their polythene bags . It is even moulded in correct yellow body colour like your car Derek . I just haven`t got round to building it yet .
Perhaps best not to build it? - could be worth more. Trick perhaps is to buy two of the same model - one to build and display - one to keep for best value?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Indeed, good advice. Always buy two if your into building rather than collecting. If you do build a kit, always keep the old box. Your be surprised how much they can be worth.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
It has always been thus that unbuilt models in good condition boxes are where the collectors value is but I get more enjoyment out of building them and then having them on display . I do always keep the boxes though . I have every box salted away for my considerable collection of railway locos , wagons , carriages etc . plus all the Oxford die cast model vehicles on the layout . I know that all my railway models would ultimately be worth far more if kept in mint condition but many of them have been super detailed and weathered to add realism .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Looks like it’s a 1/25 scale promo. They are well made and good value. Sometimes tho they can warp over time. The older Johan promo models were notorious for doing that.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Looks like it’s a 1/25 scale promo. They are well made and good value. Sometimes tho they can warp over time. The older Johan promo models were notorious for doing that.
Which post are you referring to ? you have lost me . :unsure:

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I look forward to seeing what your next little `project ` is . :unsure: I have a1 : 76 scale Series 1 Landy on the layout .View attachment 10806
Nice! I've just ordered the "First Overland" double set, among others! Some of us are old enough to remember seeing the First overland programes on TV and it's what got me wanting a Land Rover in the first place.

I might be speaking to you for some "build advice" later!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Nice! I've just ordered the "First Overland" double set, among others! Some of us are old enough to remember seeing the First overland programes on TV and it's what got me wanting a Land Rover in the first place.

I might be speaking to you for some "build advice" later!
No probs matey , happy to help if I can . I have owned several different makes of 4x4 `s but never a Land Rover . My wife did buy me an off road experience course some years ago that was run by a company that ran demo`s for JLR and trained crews for overseas aid convoys . It was awesome fun and they had me doing stuff in a Defender that defied the laws of physics ! Also back in the 70`s I worked for Anglian Water Authority and was given a `pool car` one day . It was a rather tired old Series 2 short wheel base rag top and was a smile a minute to drive . :D

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have every box salted away for my considerable collection of railway locos , wagons , carriages etc . plus all the Oxford die cast model vehicles on the layout . I know that all my railway models would ultimately be worth far more if kept in mint condition but many of them have been super detailed and weathered to add realism .
Why am I not surprised that you are a railway modeller? I'm currently (slowly) building a layout in my loft. At the moment its very early days and slow moving due to limited time available for everything in life - its just all baseboard at the moment. I've dug out my childhood trains and track and got 3 of the engines working (out of 6 in total) and restored some track. Two engines seem to have motor issues I need to investigate, and the other broken one all works fine except the driven wheel linkages on the steam loco seem to be out of sync / broken and thus it gets stuck where one wheel wants to go one way, and the linkages turn another wheel the other way. Many things to do, but its a long term project just for fun.

May have to pester you for layout help later on down the line as I'm a complete novice and just making it up as I go along :D

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Captain, After 31 years of playing with the 12 ins to the foot scale railway I now keep myself amused with the 00 gauge version . :) I did toy with the idea years ago of building a layout in the loft but the trusses are A frame type so severely hamper space . I have to make do with a 7 ` 6" long `fiddle yard` style layout in my Den ( aka third bedroom).
It still took 10 years to complete though !!! Cars and working on the full scale locos taking up so much time . Had a few frustrations with the build at times but hugely enjoyable overall . The out of sync linkages are called coupling rods and part of what is collectively known as the pistons and valve gear motion . It could be the worm gear drive from the motor worn and caused a driving wheel to slip out of sync . I have had this happen on older models . Or simply a coupling rod screw dropped out .
I have a Mainline Models GWR liveried Collett 0-6-0 No. 3205 that is hardly used and virtually mint despite having bought it at a Swap Meet many years ago . Its free to a good home if want it . No box I`m afraid though ! I only bought it because because it was a loco I worked on when I first joined the Severn Valley Railway but is not `in period` for my late 1950`s era layout . It just sits in a cupboard as my display cabinets are nearly full and I still have 6 more model loco kits to build ! Plus a 1980 Corvette C3 and a Hertz Shelby Mustang to build . Even lock downs didn`t get that lot built . :(
PM me if you are interested or want to chat more about your layout . Happy to help . DSCF3284.JPG

Roscobbc

What ever happened to the '00' guage Hornby 'live steam' engines? - are they still marketed? - are they any good?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Ross , not sure if the `live steam ` are still made by Hornby . I would have to research . I know they were rather complex and very expensive . Maybe the H&S police decided having a small bomb running around your living room was too dangerous . :ROFLMAO: . DCC control and `smoke and sound effect ` is the `thing` these days but are over £200 a loco .:eek:. Below 8213649860_6e1b77b35d_z.jpg is genuine smoke & sound effect as we left Glasgow Central in May 2000 on the return leg to London of the `Laird of Stranraer ` rail tour . I bet the clean air brigade loved us . :LOL: I was on the second loco but the boiler went a knacker at Locerbie and we had to come off the train there and get towed home by a diesel loco . :cry:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I have a GWR liveried Collett 0-6-0 that is hardly used and is not `in period` for my late 1950`s era layout.

Pity you didnt go for late 1940's/ early 50's.. you could have had it half repainted and some workmen with brushes.
I guess the Corvette owners club must be of a certain age.. i and the family went on the Jacobite three years ago.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Pity you didnt go for late 1940's/ early 50's.. you could have had it half repainted and some workmen with brushes.
I guess the Corvette owners club must be of a certain age.. i and the family went on the Jacobite three years ago.
Do you mean like thisDSCF3200.JPG half painted garage ? The Jacobite a fantastic journey isn`t it ? Wife and I did it few years ago needless to say ! Fantastic scenery all the way and an awesome test for the loco and crew . As you say , most of us are of a certain age . Probably means old farts . :LOL: