Dashcam set up on C3

Oli

CCCUK Member
Hey - basic curiosity, is anyone here running a dashcam on their C3?
if yes, what does your set up look like?
not sure myself if I should get one (maybe I should stop watching those youtube clips!!!!)
cheers

Roscobbc

If there is something that irritates me intensely in a car - it's stuff like mobile phone holders, boxes of tissues (what's that all about), sat nats, dash cams, hanging dice, footballs or crap hanging from the rear view mirror - window and club stickers too - when we had to display tax disc's it would be tucked down on the very bottom left hand corner of the screen........or behind the rear view mirror. So James perhaps look at something that either replaces the current mirror, clips on top of it or is small enough to fit behind it.........or fit something in the front grille?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If there is something that irritates me intensely in a car - it's stuff like mobile phone holders, boxes of tissues (what's that all about), sat nats, dash cams, hanging dice, footballs or crap hanging from the rear view mirror - window and club stickers too - when we had to display tax disc's it would be tucked down on the very bottom left hand corner of the screen........or behind the rear view mirror. So James perhaps look at something that either replaces the current mirror, clips on top of it or is small enough to fit behind it.........or fit something in the front grille?

The more stuff on the dash, the faster my 1999 C5 goes :)
And a good reason not to have any passengers !

RebelStockShifter.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have a dashcam in my daily car. The wires are hidden in the ceiling panel, running down behind the pillar panels and into the fusebox. The only bit of cable you see is where it comes out of the ceiling into the dashcam itself - which I mount on the passenger side of the rear view mirror, so that from my perspective when driving I can hardly see the dashcam.
I have been meaning to put it in the Vette with the temporary "cigar lighter" power source, but I haven't yet. Keep forgetting.

Oli

CCCUK Member
I have a dashcam in my daily car. The wires are hidden in the ceiling panel, running down behind the pillar panels and into the fusebox. The only bit of cable you see is where it comes out of the ceiling into the dashcam itself - which I mount on the passenger side of the rear view mirror, so that from my perspective when driving I can hardly see the dashcam.
I have been meaning to put it in the Vette with the temporary "cigar lighter" power source, but I haven't yet. Keep forgetting.
That’s pretty close to what I have in mind. Not a massive fan of gadgets (unlike certain C5 owners above ….!) and the previous owner of my C3 already had parking sensors installed with a small unit on driver side bottom corner of windscreen. Fairly good job and all wires hidden but still… not wanting to accumulate. I have not made up my mind yet, but I dont have much time left to decide if I put a dashcam on my Christmas list or not.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
There's a few on amazon and ebay that clip onto the rear view mirror so you can't really see it. You'll have to work out how to hide the wires or maybe find a wireless one.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That’s pretty close to what I have in mind. Not a massive fan of gadgets (unlike certain C5 owners above ….!) and the previous owner of my C3 already had parking sensors installed with a small unit on driver side bottom corner of windscreen. Fairly good job and all wires hidden but still… not wanting to accumulate. I have not made up my mind yet, but I dont have much time left to decide if I put a dashcam on my Christmas list or not.
Parking sensors on a C3 ???? It`s all part of the charm wondering where the heck you can park it ! :LOL:

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Hey - basic curiosity, is anyone here running a dashcam on their C3?
if yes, what does your set up look like?
not sure myself if I should get one (maybe I should stop watching those youtube clips!!!!)
cheers
I fitted a mirror dashcam to my 75 C3. This has forward and rear recording, and will remain on if wanted, and can be used as a rear view mirror camera, or the reflection works as well as a mirror.
It can attach to the existing mirror but I made a bracket to carry the dashcam on the windscreen mount. This looks better and it is very similar to the standard mirror in size and appearance. The wiring is hidden.
I have mounted the rear camera in my number plate area.

60739738-2D3F-421C-8CBB-4A36CD86D024.jpeg330E0A0B-0BC2-4AB4-81DA-457B428AAF4A.jpeg4A097757-E2BA-456C-81B6-52E675891A89.jpegF3A0EA27-E8CE-461F-A23D-97B7ED4AF108.jpeg

Roscobbc

Nice and neat install. What make/model is that? - I can see what appears to be the rear camera in the number plate surround but what are the other two things? Led reversing lights?

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Nice and neat install. What make/model is that? - I can see what appears to be the rear camera in the number plate surround but what are the other two things? Led reversing lights?
Model is Jansite - 10” Stream Media Rearview Mirror Dashcam.

Yes, reversing LED lights.

0C9A64CF-F909-4DA4-B277-225F3D51BCA4.jpeg

Roscobbc

Presumably this and similar units only record video (and not audio?) - I like the idea that some show vehicle speed on the display.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Presumably this and similar units only record video (and not audio?) - I like the idea that some show vehicle speed on the display.
My Nextbase dashcams I have in my daily drive and the newer model I put in the wife's car both do video and audio recording as standard. It records speed and location etc as well as it has a lot of fancy stuff I don't use (voice recognition and commands, wifi, guard mode so it stays on recording when you leave the car, etc etc). I have the screensaver set on both dashcams so they go blank after 30 seconds - that way they don't distract me when driving, and crucial for when driving at night. One of the other options I think is for the "screensaver" to go into "speedo" mode so it just displays your speed.