Drag racing anyone?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Someone brought the new e-mustang to brooklands american day it was a total eye sore in my opinion.

Screw Mustang and Ford

Was a reason I jumped to the Corvette in 1974 as I had 1970 Boss 302, was supposed to be a racer
Took it to drag strip and first time I red lined the engine the pistons cracked :-(
Ford went with aluminum pistons for that 302 and had half skirted pistons that would crack
Would not stand up to its warranty, so I had to pay for the repairs

Took to drags again and again those pistons cracked, F Ford and their crap
Before that I had a 1969 Mach I 350 which had crap heads that had lousy coolant flow and engine would overheat :-(

Roscobbc

Screw Mustang and Ford

Was a reason I jumped to the Corvette in 1974 as I had 1970 Boss 302, was supposed to be a racer
Took it to drag strip and first time I red lined the engine the pistons cracked :-(
Ford went with aluminum pistons for that 302 and had half skirted pistons that would crack
Would not stand up to its warranty, so I had to pay for the repairs

Took to drags again and again those pistons cracked, F Ford and their crap
Before that I had a 1969 Mach I 350 which had crap heads that had lousy coolant flow and engine would overheat :-(
Back in the day - I seem to recall the issues with Boss 302 pistons cracking. I'm guessing that few manufacturers would honour a warranty once the car has been on the race track. I'm guessing it would have had other things changed, like headers etc. Interesting fact that I had the opportunity during the last couple of years to buy back the '71 429 SCJ Mustang I originally bought when it was 10 years old. Very original other than headers and wrong colour paint it only had 58K miles on it. This was probably 3K miles more than when I sold it 30 years ago. It had what sounded to me like a bad camshaft (supposedly solid lifter stock) but later turned out surprisingly to be a detached piston skirt (much like your Boss I guess?) - was your '69 Mustnag a 351 Windsor or Cleveland?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Back in the day - I seem to recall the issues with Boss 302 pistons cracking. I'm guessing that few manufacturers would honour a warranty once the car has been on the race track. I'm guessing it would have had other things changed, like headers etc. Interesting fact that I had the opportunity during the last couple of years to buy back the '71 429 SCJ Mustang I originally bought when it was 10 years old. Very original other than headers and wrong colour paint it only had 58K miles on it. This was probably 3K miles more than when I sold it 30 years ago. It had what sounded to me like a bad camshaft (supposedly solid lifter stock) but later turned out surprisingly to be a detached piston skirt (much like your Boss I guess?) - was your '69 Mustnag a 351 Windsor or Cleveland?

Hi Roscobbc

My '69 Mach I 351 CI had the Windsor heads, and they had the cooling flow issues where the Cleveland was supposed to have solved that problem

The issue was with the Boss 302 was half skirt pistons,
they would crack right where the skirt sides ended as they were a weak point for aluminum design back then :-(

I should have done is back in 1969 of all nameplates is Rambler had the AMX which had a sweet 390 CI and the manual 4 speed tranny that was a real bullet.
A buddy of mine bought one, and I drag raced it a few times, and it was a sleeper and no one thought a Rambler would have any balls :)