Ethanol Protection

SESH

CCCUK Member
Lifted from the Esso website......................https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels-faqs

What is the ethanol content of your fuels?
The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).
There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 and 99 grade petrol).
Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland or NW England.
The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist. We understand that this is confusing if you are looking for zero % ethanol fuel, but as advised we can confirm that our Supreme Unleaded fuel supplied in areas except those listed (Devon, Cornwall, Teeside, Scotland and NW England) is ethanol free.

Our Synergy Fuels:
  • Diesel
  • Supreme+ Diesel
  • Unleaded
  • Supreme+ Unleaded
  • Supreme+ 99
Esso fuels

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for the clarity SESH but as Roscobbc says , got to find some first ! As I keep banging on , Esso stations are rarer than hens teeth in my part of this Sceptic Isle :mad:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The Corvette has a neoprene type lining in the fuel tank (from '78 on they all do),

Thank you for confirming that point Stephen, I questioned this before somewhere and received conflicting information - probably due to the many previous years that did not contain the neoprene in the tank.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Thank you for confirming that point Stephen, I questioned this before somewhere and received conflicting information - probably due to the many previous years that did not contain the neoprene in the tank.

I think some of the confusion stems from the fact that 78 - 82 replacement tanks do not have a lining. Corvette Central (for example) recommend the use of a "POR15 gas tank sealer" in their 78 - 82 replacement tanks, as they do not come with the lining that the originals had.

Roscobbc

Thanks for the clarity SESH but as Roscobbc says , got to find some first ! As I keep banging on , Esso stations are rarer than hens teeth in my part of this Sceptic Isle :mad:
I have a couple of Esso garages locally - oddly Shell garages (and VPower), once at fairly rare sights now seem to have taken over other petrol station sites.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Lifted from the Esso website......................https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels-faqs
What is the ethanol content of your fuels?
The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).
There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 and 99 grade petrol).
Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland or NW England.
The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist. We understand that this is confusing if you are looking for zero % ethanol fuel, but as advised we can confirm that our Supreme Unleaded fuel supplied in areas except those listed (Devon, Cornwall, Teeside, Scotland and NW England) is ethanol free.

That's interesting. I wonder if the same applies here in Europe, given that its an EU standard. I'll have to try and discover something. But it fits in with the labelling on the pumps here.

oldmemberl68

CCCUK Member
Thanks Sesh for taking the time to do some reseach the update us
i will defo try it if i can locate a station even if i have fili up some jerry cans and bring it home

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Talking to a couple of members at the weekend about this topic, they are using “Valvemaster”. It is made by Castrol and comes in two flavours, both have the essential ethanol stabilizer (and valve seat protection If that is a concern). The “plus” version has friction modifiers which they claim gives 3% increased acceleration! It doesn’t alter the fuel octane.
I think I shall try some of the Valvemaster plus. It will work out cheaper than filling up with Esso Supreme 99 as I have been. I’m probably not benefitting from higher octane. I’ll see if I can notice any performance improvement from the friction modifier.

1BED1DE3-B492-4767-9828-5BB6B33E43F4.jpeg

Roscobbc

That sounds worthwhile - so for example instead of 0-60's in 5.00 seconds it'll be 4.85 sec's for the same 'dash'. I'll have some of that. Seriously though it must worthwhile considering for the stabiliser content. I haven't tried the Esso Supreme yet (to compare with Shell V Power Nitro) or compared prices.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Shouldnt this thread (or a new one with SESH post #21 as post #1) be made a sticky thread on this forum for the benefit of anyone who wasnt here in Nov 2020?
I have only ever used E5 in my Vette, initially because i didnt know there was an issue and more recently because i went to the one local ESSO in search of E0 and couldnt find it so i put more regular E5 in, not knowing that the Supreme pump labelled E5 was actually E0. Had i known i could have switched to ethanol free sooner.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That sounds worthwhile - so for example instead of 0-60's in 5.00 seconds it'll be 4.85 sec's for the same 'dash'. I'll have some of that. Seriously though it must worthwhile considering for the stabiliser content. I haven't tried the Esso Supreme yet (to compare with Shell V Power Nitro) or compared prices.

Oh yes, every tenth counts and I'm hoping it's not taking me that much time to get to 60 anyway!

The premium high octane fuels are getting so expensive now. I know you need it in your car Ross because of your compression, but Millers VSPe (sounds like a Brandy) dosed into regular octane fuel might work for you though because it is supposed to increase the octane rating by 2 points?

These premium fuels won't be able to remain ethanol free after September though will they?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Very good point!..
will they or not?.. does anyone (including the Government) know?
Well actually I can’t find anything to suggest that E5 is going to change at any time soon. E5 is 0% to 5% ethanol and only Esso it seems have chosen to go at the 0% end of the scale for their premium fuels. They (Esso) could change their minds about that at any time thought I suppose.

Last edited:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Well actually I can’t find anything to suggest that E5 is going to change at any time soon. E5 is 0% to 5% ethanol and only Esso it seems have chosen to go at the 0% end of the scale for their premium fuels. They could change their minds about that at any time thought I suppose.

According to Gov.UK, Regular unleaded will become E10 and Super unleaded will remain E5.
So will regulations dictate that E10 is between 5% & 10%?.. or will it actually be 10%?
And will E5 still be allowed to be between 0% & 5%?..
who knows!

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Be interesting to know if the classic insurers see an increase in fire claims due to fuel leaks.
Classic insurance premiums will rise if they do.

Roscobbc

Oh yes, every tenth counts and I'm hoping it's not taking me that much time to get to 60 anyway!

The premium high octane fuels are getting so expensive now. I know you need it in your car Ross because of your compression, but Millers VSPe (sounds like a Brandy) dosed into regular octane fuel might work for you though because it is supposed to increase the octane rating by 2 points?

These premium fuels won't be able to remain ethanol free after September though will they?
Perhaps its something I'll have to look in to Andy. I need to give Esso Supreme a try - it should be as good as Shell - will need to get lower on the fuel level - didn't want mix brands.

Alben78

Well-known user
Most parts of the US of A have been using 10% ethanol in their fuel since 2008, some even earlier. Trawling through some of the forums it looks like there were a few stories of carb and fuel line problems at first and then nothing. So unless they all had carb re builds with ethanol resistant parts or ran on low ethanol fuels there seems to be no apparent problems since the intro of ethanol. From my limited experience it’s not a regular discussion point on the early vehicle forums either. Maybe someone could do a better search and see what turns up?