Ethanol Protection

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Most parts of the US of A have been using 10% ethanol in their fuel since 2008, some even earlier. Trawling through some of the forums it looks like there were a few stories of carb and fuel line problems at first and then nothing. So unless they all had carb re builds with ethanol resistant parts or ran on low ethanol fuels there seems to be no apparent problems since the intro of ethanol. From my limited experience itโ€™s not a regular discussion point on the early vehicle forums either. Maybe someone could do a better search and see what turns up?

Thats mildly reassuring, my car has probably been run on E10 for twelve years then (plus a year on E5).
I will still be switching over to ESSO Supreme as of tomorrow evening.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Ive just seen this post on the CCCUK Facebook page...
Will Stevenson - I have personally spoke to a regional manager at esso and he told me that all their super is E free, but all pumps have 5% on them just in case there is a supply issue and a delivery is not E free.
Thats a different take on it, i read on this forum somewhere that it was a regulatory requirement that 'up to 5%' (including 0%) had to display E5.
If this ESSO regional manager is to be believed then its ESSOs choice to put E5 on the pump just in case a tanker delivering to Scotland or Cornwall gets lost and ends up in Bedford.

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
I think some of the confusion stems from the fact that 78 - 82 replacement tanks do not have a lining. Corvette Central (for example) recommend the use of a "POR15 gas tank sealer" in their 78 - 82 replacement tanks, as they do not come with the lining that the originals had.
Cheers for the info, just ordered a new tank for my 78 which i'm picking up the weekend as the liner in my old one was split so looks like i will need to get some ๐Ÿ‘