Exciting day - rebuild of 78 coupe

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The panels might have distorted a little if the car has been jacked up with the panels locked down in its earlier life . I read somewhere a while back that if you have glass panels ( as I do) and you don`t release the tension on the latches before jacking , the glass can crack due to the slight twist in the chassis / bird cage .

johng

CCCUK Member
I have a pair of tatty tops here you are welcome to if yours are warped. You would need to strip and paint them and swap your trim and seals and hardware over tho. 👍
Thanks for the very generous offer, but I'm hopeful of finding a way to seal mine up. If not, then a little water leak can be part of the "character" of an old car

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for the very generous offer, but I'm hopeful of finding a way to seal mine up. If not, then a little water leak can be part of the "character" of an old car
But think of all that aerodynamic drag at speed if you don`t fix it , it might cost you 0.000025 seconds per lap !

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
No probs, a friend with a 68 locally was telling me how a few years ago he did a weekly commute between the isle of wight and cornwall in his 76 vette , when it rained the water used to blow up the screen, straight under the top and into the cockpit, 😁

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The panels might have distorted a little if the car has been jacked up with the panels locked down in its earlier life . I read somewhere a while back that if you have glass panels ( as I do) and you don`t release the tension on the latches before jacking , the glass can crack due to the slight twist in the chassis / bird cage .
When I leave my bumpy drive , the car flexes side to side and i can hear my tops flexing and creaking 😳

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Buy a convertible or tarmac your drive (y) I'm good at this advice stuff ;)
Last time some pikey offered to tarmac the drive coz he was in the area doing a job “down de road” and we got some tarmac left over , when I asked the price it was 12 K 😱 . I could swap for vert but instead of the tops creaking , the doors may open of their own accord over the bumps 😂😂

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
When I had my Marcos Mantara Spyder the hood rattled like an old pram top when it was up even though I devised a new rubber. sealing system ! Plus the one piece flip forward bonnet ( hood) shimmied like a belly dancer on poor road surfaces because the car had a square section tubular space frame chassis like a poor mans Maserati Bird Cage . It handled like a go kart though . :ROFLMAO: