Fibre glass repair

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
No metal or fibreglass or plastics require different primer

You need to tell that to a painter I used, just once,
As I did a custom hood for my 1999 C5 and that shop did the painting

Went to pick it up, full sunlight and wearing polarized sunglasses and instantly saw a paint mismatch
Painter put my glass on and said "OH Shif^"
Patching repairs and painting them get tougher when there are metallic in paint as primer and direction paint was sprayed can F up the final results

Sure enough, there are 2 paint codes and 2 primer codes.
Painter got the right ones and then color matched for the whole front and

Due to his thinking,
this ended up holding my C5 up at his shop for another week and thus missed a race I was going to do :-(

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member

Went to pick it up, full sunlight and wearing polarized sunglasses and instantly saw a paint mismatch
Patching repairs and painting them get tougher when there are metallic in paint as primer and direction paint was sprayed can F up the final results

Due to his thinking,
this ended up holding my C5 up at his shop for another week and thus missed a race I was going to do :-(
I painted some '71 egg crates yellow but with grey primer which should have been white. You could see the difference as they were slightly darker than the rest of the car

Custom exotics

Well-known user

Due to his thinking,
You need to get a better painter then

antijam

CCCUK Member
......As I did a custom hood for my 1999 C5 and that shop did the painting

Patching repairs and painting them get tougher when there are metallic in paint as primer and direction paint was sprayed can F up the final results......
Recently had my C3 bonnet (hood) resprayed after repairing some heat damage. i decided not to have the paint blended into the rest of the front clip since my car has a bad case of the early C3 'nose pimples' and these need to be addressed first. The resultant 'edge to edge' spray highlights any mismatch in colour, as this photo shows. In direct sunlight from the front the panel appears darker...

P1030282.JPG

...whereas from a different angle it appears lighter.....

P1030276.JPG

In full shade the contrast is hardly noticeable. Couple of factors exacerbate the problem, (a) the colour is a metallic (Brands Hatch Green) and (b) my painter only uses water based paints these days and the original colour formulation is only approximate in these. The painter did have two attempts. Both were close but both were different. The consensus was that the colour was actually pretty near and the main contrast came from the manner and direction in which it was applied. We're still giving thought as to how best to ameliorate the discrepancy.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You need to get a better painter then

Interesting GM using PPG paint for 1998-99
Has 3 shades of the paint as to the same color of my C5 and for Camaro
You notice all 3 say Navy blue, BUT there are 3 different paint codes

GM
Navy Blue 28 WA352E
pearl, 98, Autocolor Colour Register 1998-1999

Navy Blue 28 WA363E
pearl, 98-99, Autocolor Colour Register 1998-1999

Navy Blue 28 WA353E

Guess what ?
One of them was for the Camaro,
and the other 2 are for the C5 (as it has pearl in it),
you know, one for the body and the other for the fascias

So when done correctly, the custom hood on my C5 looks exactly as GM painted it

Rebel9914.jpg

c5paintcodes.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Recently had my C3 bonnet (hood) resprayed after repairing some heat damage. i decided not to have the paint blended into the rest of the front clip since my car has a bad case of the early C3 'nose pimples' and these need to be addressed first. The resultant 'edge to edge' spray highlights any mismatch in colour, as this photo shows. In direct sunlight from the front the panel appears darker...

View attachment 22183

View attachment 22185

In full shade the contrast is hardly noticeable. Couple of factors exacerbate the problem, (a) the colour is a metallic (Brands Hatch Green) and (b) my painter only uses water based paints these days and the original colour formulation is only approximate in these. The painter did have two attempts. Both were close but both were different. The consensus was that the colour was actually pretty near and the main contrast came from the manner and direction in which it was applied. We're still giving thought as to how best to ameliorate the discrepancy.
The 'nose pimples' are the headlight support bracket rivets rusting and expanding. Not an easy fix but doable

Roscobbc

The 'nose pimples' are the headlight support bracket rivets rusting and expanding. Not an easy fix but doable
Some regard this supposed 'affliction' as a good thing........in as much as it shows the originality of the car.............

antijam

CCCUK Member
I can live with the pimples, as Rosco points out, it highlights the car's originality. They do though make prepping the front for respray difficult if not addressed first. Rather than just flatting them (after which they will inevitably reappear) the best approach is to remove the headlamp mount header bar - whose rivets are causing the problem - by drilling them out from below and with the header removed, attacking the rivet heads to remove them without breaking through the front surface. The header bar is then bonded back in position at the same time clamping the top surface to help flatten the pimples. As Mr Cricket states, doable but a lot of work. :(
Annoyingly this problem only affects the very early C3's. The steel header bar is first riveted - with aluminium rivets - to a fibreglass panel that is then bonded to the underside of the body. Over the years galvanic action corrodes the rivets which swell, causing the pimples. In 1973 GM discovered it was possible to bond steel directly to fibreglass and did away with the rivets.

antijam

CCCUK Member

View attachment 22183

View attachment 22185

Well, we've had another go. Used a spectrophotometer this time to match the respray to the adjacent original colour. Still not quite perfect but very much better....

before and after.JPG
................................................................Before.......................................................................................................................After......................................................................

Paint match edge to edge with different paint systems is always tricky, but I can live with that. (y) :)

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Well, we've had another go. Used a spectrophotometer this time to match the respray to the adjacent original colour. Still not quite perfect but very much better....

View attachment 22848
................................................................Before.......................................................................................................................After......................................................................

Paint match edge to edge with different paint systems is always tricky, but I can live with that. (y) :)

Much, much better. Is the dog doing the downward dog yoga thing?

Attachments

• DD.PNG
    DD.PNG
    334.8 KB · Views: 1