Fuel pump

johng

CCCUK Member
I've got a minor leak from my fuel pump. I think it is coming from the brass fitting that screws into the bottom of the pump. I guess that this is a taper thread, but to tighten it up I'll have to disconnect the pipe that goes up to the carb. If I disconnect that pipe will I empty the contents of my fuel tank onto the garage floor? Also should there be any thread sealant on the taper joint and if so what can I use that won't be dissolved by fuel?

Roscobbc

Yes fuel will drain out. Answer is to have low fuel level and get the front end up in the air to minimise drain off. I generally (using a drill bit or something else the correct diameter quickly remove rubber pipe connecting fuel pump and 'plug-it' with drill bit.
I have always used plumbers PTFE tape - no issues to date with ethanol based fuel.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I agree with Roscobb on the PTFE tape , and definitely plug it asap . Also tape up the sleeves of your overalls around your wrists , sounds daft I know but I have done fuel pump jobs in the past and had petrol run down to my arm pits ! It ain`t fun and you smell of petrol for days . :LOL:

Roscobbc

In fact PTFE tape is much like the engineers multi-purpose 1lb Ball Pein Hammer - its a multi-purpose get you home type of 'tool'/

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
PTFE tape , a hammer , a roll of duct tape and WD40 for all those `Martini ` jobs . Any time , any place , anywhere . :D

Roscobbc

Not so many years ago a solitary stocking was also on the list in case a fan belt went. Its a sad fact of life that I've never had to ask a lady to remove a stocking or pair of tights due to a fan belt breaking............

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Didn`t you ever cut half way through the fan belt before picking up your date ? Missed a trick there Ross . :LOL:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Or just drive round the block twice , that will use up most of the 50 litres :LOL: I am always wary of clamping hoses as that may cause damage and the hose might fail in service .

Roscobbc

Damn ! you beet me too it whilst I was typing . I always think clamping is a cowboy job !
If you're gonna do it on fuel or similar sized rubber pipe you really need to use a proper tool - or - clamp the pipe with a couple of short lengths of 3/16" diameter bar stock (rather than the 'bare' jaws of a Mole grip - which will rip the rubber internally) - by all means use the Mole grip on the bar stock.......but carefully. My logic is sod the petrol leak - just 'pull' the rubber pipe off - and 'plug it' kinda pronto like!

johng

CCCUK Member
Well it is at least new rubber, I think I've replaced every rubber hose, bush and weatherstrip on the car. they were all extremely perished

Oneball

CCCUK Member
As with everything, use the correct tool. But if it’s going to crack from being clamped it needs to go in the bin anyway.
1D40864C-8C84-42E0-9DAE-540158442724.jpeg

Emc

Supporting vendor
Older fuel pumps have a tendency to leak from the crimped top section, it best to clean off the pump the run the motor to check where it is leaking from.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I've replaced both flow and return rubber pipes between the fuel pump and hard lines - no petrol leaked out, although having something handy to plug the hoses might be sensible. Mine's a 79

johng

CCCUK Member
Older fuel pumps have a tendency to leak from the crimped top section, it best to clean off the pump the run the motor to check where it is leaking from.
This wins the tip of the day award, my pump is indeed leaking from the top of the crimping. Thanks.
Of course I'll still need to stop any fuel flow from the hoses when I fit a new pump.