Fuel pump

Oneball

CCCUK Member
This wins the tip of the day award, my pump is indeed leaking from the top of the crimping. Thanks.
Of course I'll still need to stop any fuel flow from the hoses when I fit a new pump.

Ive got an as new pump here. Not sure if there’s different types by year, off my 69
8B74AB6A-0D74-458F-A064-07F984B918F1.jpeg

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I’ll give you another tip John....When you go to fit the new pump you will find that the actuator rod keeps dropping down out of the block before you can get the pumps actuating arm located under it. On the front end of the block, adacent to the pump you will find a bolt head. Remove this short bolt. It’s thread in the block goes right through to the actuator so temporarily insert a longer bolt here to touch onto the rod and hey presto it holds it up while you fit the pump.

johng

CCCUK Member
I’ll give you another tip John....When you go to fit the new pump you will find that the actuator rod keeps dropping down out of the block before you can get the pumps actuating arm located under it. On the front end of the block, adacent to the pump you will find a bolt head. Remove this short bolt. It’s thread in the block goes right through to the actuator so temporarily insert a longer bolt here to touch onto the rod and hey presto it holds it up while you fit the pump.
Thanks for that Andy, two top tips in one thread!

Roscobbc

Need to be careful selecting fuel pumps - especially high volume ones - outlets don't always match the positions of the OEM unit. Might pay you if you haven't sourced a new one to physically take it to a supplier for matching-up (perhaps Customville)

Alben78

Well-known user
That’s because it comes from someone who deals with these kind of problems on a regular basis not just working on supposition or guess work. Nice one Gav!

Reactions: Emc

johng

CCCUK Member
I got around to changing my fuel pump today thanks to all the excellent advice I got here
Gavin was right about where the old one was leaking from
I needed to move the brass fitting from the old to the new pump. It is a taper thread and I went with Ross' suggestion of PTFE tape to seal it.
Andy's tip about locking the pushrod worked perfectly.
Tim's idea of clamping the rubber pipe with the correct tool also did the job (I have to say though that my tool is much more shiny than Tim's :) )
Following Ross' advice I did take care selecting the new pump and I can confirm that for a 78 the Delphi pump from Rockauto fits perfectly.
Finally, whilst I couldn't follow Chuffer's advice about taping up my sleeves as I had a T shirt on, he was right I do now stink of petrol!

Thanks everyone.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I got around to changing my fuel pump today thanks to all the excellent advice I got here
Gavin was right about where the old one was leaking from
I needed to move the brass fitting from the old to the new pump. It is a taper thread and I went with Ross' suggestion of PTFE tape to seal it.
Andy's tip about locking the pushrod worked perfectly.
Tim's idea of clamping the rubber pipe with the correct tool also did the job (I have to say though that my tool is much more shiny than Tim's :) )
Following Ross' advice I did take care selecting the new pump and I can confirm that for a 78 the Delphi pump from Rockauto fits perfectly.
Finally, whilst I couldn't follow Chuffer's advice about taping up my sleeves as I had a T shirt on, he was right I do now stink of petrol!

Thanks everyone.
Just don`t stand near any naked flames for a while . :LOL:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Been out on the high seas on a classic sailing ship , so brace yourselves land lubbers , I`m back and raring to go ! :LOL:

Abandon all hope of steering a straight course through any threads, were going to be tacking against the wind from here on. :D

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Abandon all hope of steering a straight course through any threads, were going to be tacking against the wind from here on. :D
It`s called a close reach dear boy . But if the wind should vear away I might jibe and catch you unawares ! :LOL: