Future C3 Owner Questions

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Next Question:
Naturally we must address things we pray never arise, but the need to carry a fire extinguisher is the sensible thing to do, so..

What are the recommended Fire Extinguishers?
🤔
I would think one fire extinguisher is as good as the other. Haven’t got one in the 65, my daily has a Chubb one.

Roscobbc

I'm no expert but understand that while a dry powder extinguisher may be an option the mess afterwards can be difficult to clear up. C02 seems a good option for fire involving petrol or other accelerant. I keep a large one in the kitchen at home - keep it handy if doing something fuel related on the Vette. Foam extinguishers make a wet mess perhaps?. Halon? is it legal except plumbed-in on a race car?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You need to consider what type of fire system you want
A system where there are nozzles pipped into the engine bay and the cabin area
Type that is automatic triggered
A hand pulled cable as the trigger
Or a simple unit like I have in my C5 which is mounted to a harness bar
I replace mine like every 5 years if needed to or not

Then need to consider where it could be mounted but also easy to get to quickly
The size you select might not fit where you want it, so consider location first and then match the size of unit

Most types are real cheap, works for vehicle and like kitchen fires
Get one that has a gauge on it that tells if fully charged or reports it needs to be replaced
and the mount has a quick way to release the unit from the mount

harnessbfireex.jpg

Last edited:

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I have a large extinguisher in the "boot" and still have room for the t tops next to it with a jumper inbetween to stop scratches. The extinguisher is wired up to soak the engine bay if need be.

Roscobbc

Sorry - have to say it ----- that extinquisher positioned there (even though seemingly secure and strapped in place) in the event of even a medium 'shunt' will potentially brake loose, embed itself in the dash, go straight through the windscreen or ........injure/kill driver or passenger on its journey through the cabin........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My Mercedes’ has it under the front passenger seat. It seems very secure. That seems to be the standard position on Mercedes. It’s always there. The Ford has it in the estate part, secured to the side.
Poor ole vet ain’t got one. 🙁

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Sorry - have to say it ----- that extinquisher positioned there (even though seemingly secure and strapped in place) in the event of even a medium 'shunt' will potentially brake loose, embed itself in the dash, go straight through the windscreen or ........injure/kill driver or passenger on its journey through the cabin........

If you mean where mine is located

1. Race groups approve of it when race inspections
2. This allows easy access for a driver and a passenger if needed
3. Different designs of harness bars, all have same mount location
4. Harness bar is steel and bolted into both B pillars
5. Have to go by history, in 55 years of driving/racing I have never been even in a fender bender
6. If crash is that bad, lots of other things to worry about

Could be issues with lots of mount locations
I know a guy who mounted it floor in front of driver's seat, it became loose while driving and almost rolled under the foot pedals :(
Also, mounting there prevents the seat from being adjusted forward.

5point.jpg

Roscobbc

Its all a numbers game. I was once involved in a sub 30 mph head-on - car was then a newish mid 90's Honda. Air bag didn't even go off so actual impact after braking may have been 20 mph or less. We were all belted-up but missus had a couple of cracked ribs. Mine were badly bruised. Shins were badly bruised where legs flew forward on the impact and hit the underside of dash (at a relatively low speed). I was staggered how even relatively light items (like a large map on the rear parcel shelf) instantly and become a dangerously heavy flying object narrowly missing my head. How even the steel framed sunglasses I was wearing actually managed to bend on the bridgepiece before flying off. That 10lb fire extinguisher would become a 100lb missile in exactly the same way as a unrestrained baby in the rear seat. I recently moved mine from the floor in front of the passenger seat (for the same reasons as you mentioned) to the top of the drivers side rear wheel arch in luggage area. If it was to fly forward it would hit the rear of the drivers seat.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I think it is more important when choosing the type is what classes of fires it will work with

There are five classes of fire extinguishers – A, B, C, D and K – and each class can put out a different type of fire.
  • Class A extinguishers will put out fires in ordinary combustibles such as wood and paper
  • Class B extinguishers are for use on flammable liquids like grease, gasoline and oil
  • Class C extinguishers are suitable for use only on electrically energized fires
  • Class D extinguishers are designed for use on flammable metals
  • Class K extinguishers vegetable oils, animal oils and fats in cooking appliances.
Multipurpose extinguishers can be used on different types of fires and will be labeled with more than one class, like A-B, B-C or A-B-C, etc
Dry chemical (or powder) types have a positive as using a gas (replaces air) type blows away, as powder lays down and helps smother what was or is still burning

Letank

CCCUK Member
Class B and C are most likely associated with vehicle fires, so I went for a BC powder extinguisher. Hopefully I’ll never have to use it, but if I ever do then I accept the powder will likely make a bit of mess. Not as big as the mess that an unextinguished fire would make though!
I picked up an AA branded one from Amazon for about £15.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Up next in my general questions. 😊👍
As I get used to dial watching again, (something I haven't done in decades!) and as I don't yet have the original owner's manual yet, my question is:

What PSI should the Oil Pressure sit at on a lower rev cruise & also at higher revs on a major road?

Vetman

CCCUK Member
My 75 L48 is generally 40 psi +/- a couple of psi. These engines had max power at about 3800 rpm so 10 psi per 1000 rpm. Mine now has max power at about 5000 rpm so 40 psi just about ok.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Up next in my general questions. 😊👍
As I get used to dial watching again, (something I haven't done in decades!) and as I don't yet have the original owner's manual yet, my question is:

What PSI should the Oil Pressure sit at on a lower rev cruise & also at higher revs on a major road?

Make use of the GM engineering PDF I gave you in another post as everything as to design specs is in there

oilp.jpg