Future C3 Owner Questions

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I realise I am asking a number of questions over a few forums and some of these are hidden within unrelated threads, so I thought perhaps for the benefit of potential future C3 owners, and to save flooding the forum myself, I will put all my future pre purchase questions here in one place.

Here are some of my previous questions:

Automatic Owners - Do You Use 1st & 2nd?

1971 / 1972 Engine Output Options On An Automatic?

Convertible Softtop & Hardtop Issues?

Buying & Insuring A Car To Drive In America?

Importing - North America vs Europe

Are They Wiping Us Out?

Any Idea What This Is?

Chrome Repair Or Replace?
Which modifications tend to attract a premium increase on a policy?
What Are The Best Spares To Have Handy?
What Are The US/UK Import Costs?
Does a C3 Need Road Tax Paid?
What Security Do People Have On Their C3?
What if any tools do you carry in your C3?
What Tyres Are Recommended & Where To Buy?
What are the recommended Fire Extinguishers?
What PSI should the Oil Pressure sit at on a lower rev cruise & also at higher revs on a major road?

This thread starts with side pipe questions, although currently there is also a discussion HERE about noise and side pipes and whether with the ongoing 'environmental' policing, they can be fitted with a Mild to Wild switch such as those in later Corvette generations and within this, who prefers Factory or Hooker/Dougs style side pipes.

Can I clarify, this top image is the Factory option? :unsure:
6948_1646418181_8b.jpg

Hooker/Dougs style Side Pipes
full.jpg
Hooker Headers and Side Pipes.jpg

Last edited:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Been over to Alcester in mine today.
This is what I took with me.
B0A5095D-3732-4532-B9D9-FC30BE23CD33.jpeg
I’ve got the “quiet” glasspack Doug’s inserts and they’re too loud, you need the ear plugs.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Been over to Alcester in mine today.
I’ve got the “quiet” glasspack Doug’s inserts and they’re too loud, you need the ear plugs.
Interesting.
I have the louder Billy Boat system on my C6 and people tell me it is loud, however I hardly notice it and love what I hear.
Perhaps that comes from working with rock bands on tour all my life?! :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Maybe I need to go out in a few side pipe C3s when my health allows before final purchase, but previously standing outside of the cars, none have bothered me volume wise.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
One thing to have side pipes as it sounds cool but take it from me sooner or later you pay for it by hearing destroyed for good
My C4 ZR-1 racer had special exhaust design and instead of mufflers had nothing but resonators
Had no side windows at all and doing long distance Open Road Races for up to 120 miles, mostly at WOT from 180 to over 200 MPH

Finally caught up to me as even wearing a full face helmet I forgot one race to also put in earplugs and by the end of that
race the hearing in my left ear was shot and only got worse after that :-(

Oh BTW, little trick most never caught on to but the shape of those side rails around the exhaust allowed 5 MPH faster at speed :)

pe100.jpgfordsneak.jpgsnakespg.jpg

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
One thing to have side pipes as it sounds cool but take it from me sooner or later you pay for it by hearing destroyed for good
My C4 ZR-1 racer had special exhaust design and instead of mufflers had nothing but resonators
Had no side windows at all and doing long distance Open Road Races for up to 120 miles, mostly at WOT from 180 to over 200 MPH

Finally caught up to me as even wearing a full face helmet I forgot one race to also put in earplugs and by the end of that
race the hearing in my left ear was shot and only got worse after that :-(

Oh BTW, little trick most never caught on to but the shape of those side rails around the exhaust allowed 5 MPH faster at speed :)

View attachment 15834View attachment 15835View attachment 15836
A fabulous looking race car - I must look up your racing exploits. (y):cool:

I totally take your point about the noise and sorry to know that it gave you issues. :(
I've spent my life on stage with rock groups and as a result have had severe Tinnitus and hearing loss for years.

The C6 will remain my go to touring sports car, but I'm looking forward to the C3 experience on summer days (if we get any in the UK!) ☀️

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
A fabulous looking race car - I must look up your racing exploits. (y):cool:

I totally take your point about the noise and sorry to know that it gave you issues. :(
I've spent my life on stage with rock groups and as a result have had severe Tinnitus and hearing loss for years.

The C6 will remain my go to touring sports car, but I'm looking forward to the C3 experience on summer days (if we get any in the UK!) ☀️

Sorry you have the same issues as I do
For me, non-stop whine in my left ear since about 2001 :-(
and about half volume of hearing is a bummer

Reason when I designed my custom exhaust system for my 1999 C5 that I used a DB meter and made sure sound level
was no higher than about 80 Dba in cabin and lower than 92 Dba at exhaust tops

94PE100.JPG

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I've noticed on some 1968-1973 C3s that the chrome has seen better days. 😞

Is it cost effective to have parts rechromed or is it better to source a replacement? 🤔
Screenshot_20220308-072505~2.png

johng

CCCUK Member
The only chrome bits on my 78 are the door handles and the top corners of the windscreen. I found it cheaper to replace the door handles, but it was cheaper to have the windscreen corners re-chromed.

Roscobbc

Seems that there are three options open to you.
1. Re-chrome existing (which is very expensive, especially if repairs are needed but at least you'll have control of who does the work) -
2. 'new' Chinesium replacemenst with their inherent quality issues (still expensive but less so than re-chroming but look good from 10 feet away) -
3. OEM grade 'new' bumpers which still although supposedly American made may still be inferior to the quality of originals.

Roscobbc

It's easier spot cheap repro ones......may be shiny......but look deep in to that shine and you'll see 'dressing' and bending distortion marks under the surface. Bumper may be thinner material - sizing may be inaccurate..........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It’s all about fit and Finish. I think the original GM bumpers had PR stamped into them
One of the best replacements are from Paragon corvette parts. They purchased the old tooling dyes from GM for the bumpers.