Future C3 Owner Questions

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Do the rounds with as many insurance companies as you wish, compare prices for like for like cover, and choose the one your happy with. The only way to tell “how good” a insurance company is, is unfortunately when you have to claim. Your only really dealing with the broker anyway. Most will be polite and helpful as they want your premium.
Same with all insurance I suppose

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Next C3 Question: What Are The Best Spares To Have Handy? 🤔

As I am normally often in America, I could stock up on a few spares to save on shipping etc, so what are the recommended items to buy 'just in case'?! 😎👍

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I would say service items are a good idea, and of course anything that you may want to replace on the car in the foreseeable future.

Roscobbc

No harm in keeping a small supply of oil fiters, spark plugs and specific gaskets - like, thermostat, rocker covers, carb and air filter to carb, I'd say brake pads, but perhaps not stock ones.....my experience is that they'll last well but stopping power is less than some of the aftermarket choices. Radiator hoses are a goo idea too.....all very specific to the engine combo and year of car.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
No harm in keeping a small supply of oil fiters, spark plugs and specific gaskets - like, thermostat, rocker covers, carb and air filter to carb, I'd say brake pads, but perhaps not stock ones.....my experience is that they'll last well but stopping power is less than some of the aftermarket choices. Radiator hoses are a goo idea too.....all very specific to the engine combo and year of car.
Thank you for those suggestions.
Interesting about brake pads, which would you recommend? 🤔

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I personally have a large supply of various popular filters for corvettes and mustangs. A very large supply of 65 filters, spark plugs, brake pads, points, and a set of rad hoses.
“too much junk “ as my other half says throw it away.
Never.

Roscobbc

Thank you for those suggestions.
Interesting about brake pads, which would you recommend? 🤔
Amazingly in 22 years of ownership I have only changed the pads once (probably in the first few years of ownership) to Hawk HP Plus. Wear rate is good. Minimal residue on wheels. They do need some heat to prevent 'squeaking' and to work at their best. When setting out on a journey I generally do a 1/2 mile or so in first gear with left foot on brake pedal to get some heat build up and 'clean' the discs.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Is there a 'better' company when it comes to the more 'vintage' and modified Corvettes?
I'm with A Plan for the C6 but my brother is saying I should look at Hagerty for a C3 when I have one in my sights? :unsure:
im with adrian flux . I'm over 50 just :) live in norfolk and pay £180 fully comp listed all mods and also got a guaranteed value free of charge. I have my Audi S5 and my Tesla with them too nobody else comes close price wise.

antijam

CCCUK Member
My '71 C3 is with Adrian Flux too - premium has been £107 for the last 2 years. However I'll be 80 - the age at which actuarially accident rates start to rise - at the next renewal, so I'm anticipating a rise then. They also insure one of my other Classics but have not been competitive on more modern cars.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
My '71 C3 is with Adrian Flux too - premium has been £107 for the last 2 years. However I'll be 80 - the age at which actuarially accident rates start to rise - at the next renewal, so I'm anticipating a rise then. They also insure one of my other Classics but have not been competitive on more modern cars.
That surprises me as the S5 Audi is a 2015 and has been mapped and a few other mods too and still under £400. Tesla is expensive to insure at £800 as its my business daily so i have full business use but still £400 cheaper than anyone else i had quotes from.

antijam

CCCUK Member
That surprises me as the S5 Audi is a 2015 and has been mapped and a few other mods too and still under £400. Tesla is expensive to insure at £800 as its my business daily so i have full business use but still £400 cheaper than anyone else i had quotes from.
I think Flux are good on Classics and on tuned, modified or otherwise 'difficult' modern cars. They were nowhere near other quotes on my stock 2016 Mustang and 2003 Mercedes SLK.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Having seen the surgeon and as my recovery is apparently on track, it looks like I may be able to bring forward my C3 purchase to later next month or latest, May / June. 🙏😁

To that end, if I am unable to find the right car in the UK, I will import from America as I plan to go there ASAP.

So my next question to those in the the know please is: Based on a 1970's C3 with a UK value of say £25,000:

What Are The US/UK Import Costs?

Am I missing anything from the cost list below and could anyone calculate / estimate the missing figures please? 🤔

1) UK Value £25,000
2) US Inspection £350
3) VAT 5% £1250
4) Import tax 0%
5) Shipping Container vs RORO?
6) Shipping Insurance?
7) Customs Clearance NOVA - £100?
8) IVA Work?
9) MOT £55
10) DVLA Costs?

11) Anything else to add?.🤔

Naturally then of course my own UK insurance & Road Tax.

Thank you in advance.

Roscobbc

Add potential costs of getting it transported to shipping point (if you're not driving it) - perhaps factor-in a 'professional'uplift on a transporter from docks to home. Several weeks in transit can deplete batteries, create potentail fueling and braking issues.........unless, perhaps you have driven the car across the 'States and are 100% confident?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Having seen the surgeon and as my recovery is apparently on track, it looks like I may be able to bring forward my C3 purchase to later next month or latest, May / June. 🙏😁

To that end, if I am unable to find the right car in the UK, I will import from America as I plan to go there ASAP.

So my next question to those in the the know please is: Based on a 1970's C3 with a UK value of say £25,000:

What Are The US/UK Import Costs?

Am I missing anything from the cost list below and could anyone calculate / estimate the missing figures please? 🤔

1) UK Value £25,000
2) US Inspection £350
3) VAT 5% £1250
4) Import tax 0%
5) Shipping Container vs RORO?
6) Shipping Insurance?
7) Customs Clearance NOVA - £100?
8) IVA Work?
9) MOT £55
10) DVLA Costs?

11) Anything else to add?.🤔

Naturally then of course my own UK insurance & Road Tax.

Thank you in advance.
Tax ( whatever you wish to call it UK end) will be based on the US bill of sale plus the shipping cost then converted into pounds sterling. The reduced vat rate of 5% will also apply to the shipping costs. Which can include the overland transport costs)
the closer to the sea the car is the lower the overland transport will be. It’s getting rather expensive now.

no IVA on a 1970

Nassau65

CCCUK Member

Don't you need to change lights / indicators etc? 🤔
That would fall under the MOT. Some people like to keep the car Americanised, and many MOT stations will now pass the “classic “ car as is.
If you decide to alter the lights it will be a MOT issue, not the IVA people.

Roscobbc

Simply need to be sure that you are showing white sidelights to front of vehicle (either replacing or additional to existing sidelights) and amber front and rear indicators. Simplest to utilise back-up lights with amber bulbs and a simple wiring job. Should also show rear reflectors.......mute point.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Corvettes have along with most yanks used the rear reversing lights as indicators As you say a simple wiring job and a yellow bulb.