Grand Tour

mickn

CCCUK Member
Did they get a car for their proposed filming at the end of October? I fired a photo and description off as soon as the request hit my pc and received nothing, no thanks but no thanks, kiss my arse, nothing. How long does a courteous reply take?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That was brave of you, I wouldn’t let them any where near mine and it’s a pile of crap at the moment.

mickn

CCCUK Member
Well it was only for a static display so I wasn't too concerned....btw am loving your race car thread, I can't even change a plug let alone begin to think about what you are doing :ROFLMAO:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Well it was only for a static display so I wasn't too concerned....btw am loving your race car thread, I can't even change a plug let alone begin to think about what you are doing :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes I wish I’d not thought about it either!

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Courtesy? From The Grand Tour?....... There goes another heard of Gloucester Old Spots...... :rolleyes:
Even if I was in a position to do so, I'd never let them near my car, static or not.:eek:

Rob59C1

Administrator
Hi Guys, As the one who forwarded the request in the first place, I feel a little responsible.
But like you, I had heard nothing from Matt, who sent me the request in the first place.
So I emailed Matt about a week ago and received an immediate automated reply saying he was no longer involved in the project.
His email identified two producers who should now be contacted. I sent both of them emails explaining my reason for contacting them and copying the correspondence with Matt but have heard nothing.
Sorry for raising expectations but perhaps better that nothing came of it, as their reputation isn't that good when it comes to looking after other peoples' property.
That's show business :)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If it is anything like my experience about 10 years ago filming for a the BBC ` Top Gear ` feature on classic British sports cars then you are well off out of it .
I was invited to take my 1995 Marcos Mantara V8 Spyder . They wanted early and late examples of all the great British sports cars and another club member with a 1968 Marcos GT and I were asked . The filming took place at the old empty TVR works in Blackpool and me and my mate were expected to make a 400 + mile round trip up the M1 / M6 in October . Having been involved in filming on several occasions during my steam loco driving days , I knew it would be a long day with lots of faffing about so we asked the Beeb about expenses and overnight accommodation . They said NO ! So needless to say we said " NO !" They obviously wanted our cars more than we wanted them and they relented , paying for fuel and overnight stay in a Travel Lodge . We were sworn to secrecy not to tell other car owners at the film shoot in case " they all asked for expenses " . Can you believe it ??? This from the BBC`s largest grossing TV show world wide at the time ! We were all treated like something they had trodden in , no please , no thank you , no nothing ! And those three clowns who presented the show were arrogant beyond belief :mad:
Even to the point of ignoring families with kids who had gathered outside the works entrance to see the so called stars ! Stars my arse ! I am still waiting to get even with Mr C. 👿

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I must confess I wasn't bothered either when they didn't reply to my email. I have done some filming work with Autotrader when they asked the club for a car. Like you said Chuffer, no expenses offered etc (but the car was insured with their policy for filming), but on the day everyone was friendly and looked after the car. Ultimately though, it was a waste of my time as the car wasn't even featured in the advert. Well technically you can see the actor sat in my car through the windscreen for a split second, but unless you knew that you wouldn't even tell what car it was - literally his head and whatever you saw behind. Originally filmed it was supposed to be a long shot of him driving the car off the dealership forecourt, then an "up the bonnet" close up of him smiling and giving the throttle a blip.

Still, I had fun experiencing it all I guess. Though it was a tank of petrol though.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Glad you at least enjoyed your experience . For me it was a waste of two days annual leave ! And when the filmed episode hit the TV , it was a very short feature about the cars and the camera panned around the assembled cars so fast that you needed lightning fast reactions to spot my car ! At least I got some shots myself inside the old TVR works before filming started and we were all banished to the old canteen with all the windows blanked off so we couldn`t see out and the sight of all us plebs wouldn`t offend the delicate sensibilities of the `stars ` !!!

Attachments

• Marcos 2.jpg
    Marcos 2.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 6

mickn

CCCUK Member
My car was used in the Steve Coogan series, Saxondale, a few years ago and featured in 2 or 3 episodes. The car was hired from me by a company called Miller's Action Vehicles I think, run by John Miller. John could not have been more professional from start to finish, excellent person to deal with. They chipped the paintwork very slightly and I got it repaired free of charge by the company who originally sprayed the car. When I told John there was no charge he wouldn't have any of it and insisted on paying me a not small 'compensation' fee. Very decent bloke to deal with. We went and watched them film a scene one day and Steve Coogan was great, genuinely interested in the car and seemed to be a good all round bloke....Lisa Tarbuck on the other hand.....

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yeah, it was an alright day.... except my starter motor chose that EXACT day to play up. Just gutting though that you put in all that effort, and like you experience, you car is not really shown on screen. Why bother?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
My car was used in the Steve Coogan series, Saxondale, a few years ago and featured in 2 or 3 episodes. The car was hired from me by a company called Miller's Action Vehicles I think, run by John Miller. John could not have been more professional from start to finish, excellent person to deal with. They chipped the paintwork very slightly and I got it repaired free of charge by the company who originally sprayed the car. When I told John there was no charge he wouldn't have any of it and insisted on paying me a not small 'compensation' fee. Very decent bloke to deal with. We went and watched them film a scene one day and Steve Coogan was great, genuinely interested in the car and seemed to be a good all round bloke....Lisa Tarbuck on the other hand.....
Was that the Mustang? yellow Mach 1 if I remember right?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
At least there are still a few `Good Guys ` out there !

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I replied for the LT-1 request although mine are '71 not '70 and as mentioned above and in part explained by Rob didn't get any reply whatsoever. My mate Martin has a '72 LT-1 and they did come back to him to ask his location then *crickets*

mickn

CCCUK Member
Was that the Mustang? yellow Mach 1 if I remember right?

Yes that's the one, it was actually the owner of the Mustang who got me involved, Michelle I think her name was, lovely lady from Farnborough I think. Her car was being used and they asked her if she knew anyone with a red corvette convertible and as luck would have it she parked next to me at an informal meet at Hayling Island, got my name from Martin the local rep at the time, passed it to the producers who got in touch and it went from there. As an aside to this, a couple of years later she wrote the car off on the A27 near Chichester on her way to Goodwood one Sunday morning, thankfully she was ok but the car was a write off, hit a patch of diesel I believe.

Roscobbc

When doing my 'stint' initially as editor and later as chairman we would get several requests from magazines, the occasional t/v and odd photographers etc looking for Vettes. The locations were always miles from anywhere and we were generally given a couple of day notice (made me wonder if we were second or third choice).
The real 'eye opener' was the show Car SOS

- I was directly approached by the producers of this company who going to do a 'resto' on Essex member Peter Knodt's (now Kent member) 454 Vette. Being fairly close with Pete they approached me for some background on the car, what needed doing to it (and what I thought Pete himself would want to do to it).Pete and I often discussed what we wanted to do with our respective Vettes. The production team even came to our December regional meeting, interviewing Pete. It was a complicated experience for all involved, including later when the car was returned for Pete himself. Bottom line was that once the production team had got what they wanted to make the show they were not the slightest bit interested in any further discussion. I'll bet none of you would imagine that the production companies force members of the car owners family to sign effectively what is a 'gagging' clause before they will take the respective car on for restoration. This also means that they can do more or less exactly what they want to do with the car and the owner has zero redress with them...........Suffice to say that a whole catalogue of events occurred following collection of his car, including brake failure, exhaust continually falling off, wiring issues etc etc. To quote Pete himself "they took a perfectly good running vehicle that needed a coat of paint and a chassis repair and ****ed it up" and several years later some of the issues created are still there........So fella's best inform your nearest and dearest that if it looks as though you are not long in this world - on no account let one of these outfits coax you in to doing a similar thing.....

Last edited: