Headlamp relays.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, can anyone remember who it was that posted a how to fit headlamp relays to stop the lights flicking on and off on full beam.? I seem to remember he used a certain halfords relay and spliced into the green wire from the dip switch. Cant seem to find it again. TiA 👍

johng

CCCUK Member
I think that was me, it was on page 12 of the thread "Exciting Day". Let me know if you need any further info

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I think that was me, it was on page 12 of the thread "Exciting Day". Let me know if you need any further info
Thanks johng, I will look it up, I thought I bought the relays in readiness but must have put them somewhere safe 🤭🤣👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks johng, I will look it up, I thought I bought the relays in readiness but must have put them somewhere safe 🤭🤣👍
Thanks johng, just read it , it seems really easy , I have seen a light green wire that is coming from the footwell area into the inner fender , mine is a 72 what year is your car? i will pick up that relay today. Thanks again. 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks johng, just read it , it seems really easy , I have seen a light green wire that is coming from the footwell area into the inner fender , mine is a 72 what year is your car? i will pick up that relay today. Thanks again. 👍
Ps any chance of a close up picture of where you mounted the relay. ? Would be much appreciated 👍 thank you jogng

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ps any chance of a close up picture of where you mounted the relay. ? Would be much appreciated 👍 thank you jogng
Do you remember what amp fuse you put in the relay? Mine has a 30a in it and the relay says 60a peak / 30a continuous , seem ok to you ? 👍thank you again. 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Do you remember what amp fuse you put in the relay? Mine has a 30a in it and the relay says 60a peak / 30a continuous , seem ok to you ? 👍thank you again. 👍
Just wanted to check one more thing, my relay looks like it may be numbered differently to yours, it has 85 as earth and yours was 86? Can you look at my diagram and see what you think. Sorry to be a pain 🤭30DF1A60-0466-4BEF-ADEB-89404ED14263.jpeg

johng

CCCUK Member
Here's close up photo of mine. I put it close to the alternator as you can pick up the supply and earth easily there and also as close as possible to the harness where the wire to the main beam runs. I managed to cut the wire and fit to the relay without having to extend it. Mine also has a 30amp fuse and it doesn't matter that yours says to put the earth on 85 rather than 86. Oh also mine is a 78 don't suppose that makes much difference though.
IMG_20230601_151038.jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Great pic john , thank you, I think I have my head around it now, so, 30 is live from the alternator post, 85 is earth , I cut the green wire from the dip switch and put that to 86 then the other end of the green wire from the lights goes to 87 ? 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Great pic john , thank you, I think I have my head around it now, so, 30 is live from the alternator post, 85 is earth , I cut the green wire from the dip switch and put that to 86 then the other end of the green wire from the lights goes to 87 ? 👍
Did you have to dig into the wrapped loom there to find the green wire ? I think I have located it , the one I saw before was already exposed and going to some other item on the fender. That black loom wrap is messy stuff , all soft and sticky😵‍💫.

johng

CCCUK Member
Yes that's right.
Sounds like your loom is wrapped differently to mine. I've got corrugated plastic tubing which is split and held together by the joints. I could just undo the joint pull the wire out and clip the joint back together.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yes that's right.
Sounds like your loom is wrapped differently to mine. I've got corrugated plastic tubing which is split and held together by the joints. I could just undo the joint pull the wire out and clip the joint back together.
Yes i saw you have the split convoluted flexi conduit, i think I will add that afterward. Off to get unwrapping some more . Thank you again 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yes i saw you have the split convoluted flexi conduit, i think I will add that afterward. Off to get unwrapping some more . Thank you again 👍
Well i found 2 light green wires, looking at a diagram in the haynes manual it looks like it comes from the dip swtch a a single wire then.splitsinto 2, do I have to splice in to it before it seperates? Confused 😵‍💫

johng

CCCUK Member
Well since the whole point of adding the relay is to reduce the current going through the light switch circuit breaker, you could just put the relay on 1 of the wires. That would almost halve the current, so would do what is required. Alternatively you could connect both wires through the relay.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Well since the whole point of adding the relay is to reduce the current going through the light switch circuit breaker, you could just put the relay on 1 of the wires. That would almost halve the current, so would do what is required. Alternatively you could connect both wires through the relay.
Ah yes , tho i do wonder why mine has two that far up the loom, I will unwtap a bit more first. Thanks for yr patience👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ah yes , tho i do wonder why mine has two that far up the loom, I will unwtap a bit more first. Thanks for yr patience👍
Hi again, johng, just watched a video of this mod on a 69 vette, his, like mine has two green wires , he also added a relay to the single tan , (low beam) wire, just as well do this while I am at it to take even more load off the headlamp switch ? What do you think? 👍

johng

CCCUK Member
You can do the low beam as well, which would take virtually all the load off the switch, I didn't think it was necessary as the low beam is only drawing half the current of the high beam. If the switch can't handle that, then it probably needs replacing.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
You can do the low beam as well, which would take virtually all the load off the switch, I didn't think it was necessary as the low beam is only drawing half the current of the high beam. If the switch can't handle that, then it probably needs replacing.
Ok, thank you john, one final question , did you just crimp connectors to your cut wires and connect to the relay terminals or or did you wire them into a relay socket ? 👍

johng

CCCUK Member
I just put crimp connectors on the wires and plugged into the relay. Good luck with doing the job and show us picture when it's done.