I made

mickn

CCCUK Member
an interesting discovery on Monday. My other half has been driving round in her car we bought last July with the 2 first letters on the reg plate the wrong way round, should be KL not LK. Saved her some speeding tickets I suppose ;)

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
The dealership made a mistake on my wife car's numberplate too. An "L" should have been a "C". Worried about getting pulled, I tried to correct the error, until new plates arrived, using some black insulation tape to make the L into a C.....and that looked REALLY dodgy then.

antijam

CCCUK Member
I had a friend who could never remember his car registration - turned out it was different front to back. Took him three years to work it out....

This was the reg on my 'Vette when I bought it......

1-s-l16004.jpg

Turned out this is what it should have been.....

1-P1320096.JPG

When I checked OEU624J on the DVLA website it came up as a silver Camaro - and OEU627J was a green Corvette. The importers had obviously registered several cars at the same time and got the plates mixed. Maybe I should have kept quiet and let the Camaro owner have my speeding tickets.... :devilish:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Back in the late 1970`s I worked with a guy who was a bit `fly` in his activities and owned two Morgan`s , one red and one black . Both had the same registration plates so only paid one road tax regularly alternated which one he drove . :whistle:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I had that once on a 75 that I had. Different plates front/back. Didn’t realise until washing it one day. No way to check in those days. Looked at the log book, and got the offending plate remade and put on. Still got the wrong plate somewhere in the garage.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
There is only one proper measurement , and that is imperial measurement ! :mad: All the rest is Euro rubbish to make it easier for their little brains to deal with things in multiples of 10 . :LOL: What ever happened to furlongs , perches and poles ??:ROFLMAO:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I bought a new car trading in the old one, I asked the salesman to have the car ready with the private plate transferred to the new one, on the day we collected the car we filled her up at the dealers with petrol and the salesman was there doing the same thing with the car we had just traded in, we both drove out in two different makes of car, but with both showing the same registration number.

I bought a new car and the front and rear plates were different via 2 transposed digits

I bought a used car and when the paperwork arrived from DVLA, it showed that the car had a different registration to the year one that was on the car, the DVLA had it still registered with a Private Plate, so I put it on retention and later sold it for £1100

I traded in a 740 BMW in Avus Blue for a 750 BMW in Biaritz Blue (almost the same colour) I had a Private Plate on it and asked for the plate to be transferred to the new one - I had not told my Son that I was buying a new car - I picked him up from School in the afternoon and went straight to pick my new car up, it was outside and I drove up behind it and parked - my Son saw the Blue 7 series with my Private number on it infront of him, BUT that was the car he was already sitting in - he looked at me puzzled and speechless.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I had a friend who could never remember his car registration - turned out it was different front to back. Took him three years to work it out....

This was the reg on my 'Vette when I bought it......

View attachment 9429

Turned out this is what it should have been.....

View attachment 9430

When I checked OEU624J on the DVLA website it came up as a silver Camaro - and OEU627J was a green Corvette. The importers had obviously registered several cars at the same time and got the plates mixed. Maybe I should have kept quiet and let the Camaro owner have my speeding tickets.... :devilish:
Sooo pretty. Love it. I will be looking for a '70 convertible project car maybe next year.

Roscobbc

My Vette is white, 1968 and a coupe - originally registered (and I can't recall exactly the number - but lets just say FTM 27F - a London registered car) - one evening not too long after I got the car I was out in my daily driver and one of the Essex CCCUK guys (Kwik Kev) phoned me and said "where are you sitting"? - I responded something like "WTF are you talking about Kev, I'm out shopping with 'Er Indoors" - Kev then said "you're not in the Harrow having a drink"? - "No Kev" I repeated, "out shopping, why do you ask Kevin"? - "Well, I've just come in to the Harrow pub for a meal and have seen your car in the pub car park - I'm just going to have a meal but looking for you here inside".
As you'll probably imagine a slight level of panic immediately set-in. I was 99% sure that my car was safely tucked-up under lock and key back home in my garage..........nevertheless the Harrow pub wasn't' very far away so I drove over to investigate. Surely enough an early white C3 was parked in the Harrow car park - but this one was a rag top and a small block car without the big block hood - but the registration number was something like just one numeral different from mine (like FTM 28F! - how unusual was that?
Saw that car a few times in traffic locally but never had the opportunity to speak with the driver - he/she didn't join CCCUK unfortunately.