Ignition light query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, took the vette out for a little run this eve.and noticed that when I turn ignition on there are no oil or charging lamps lit. Door ajar and handbrake lights work, as do indicators , side and headlamps. What dash lights should come on when ignition turned one position? Dhould there be a fuse i need to check or could this be a side effect of my headlamp switch , thermal cutout/ dimmer switch issue i reportedwhere my main beams switch off and on due to overload. Havent had time to sort that yet either. Any advice appreciated.
thank you’s

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
i wouldn`t expect any instruments to be illuminated until you turn the headlights / side lights on .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
i wouldn`t expect any instruments to be illuminated until you turn the headlights / side lights on .
Hi chuffa, my instruments are lit when my lights are on . I meant my warning lights for oil and alternator. Should these not come on with ignition and the go out when engine is started? πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Isn't your car a '72? Does it actually have those lamps?
Ooh! I hope not! .. as that would mean all is ok? I have never noticed but suddenly thought there should be warning lights but I suppose it has gauges that do the same job . Any 72 owners can confirm if their’s are present ? Thanks antijam

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi chuffa, my instruments are lit when my lights are on . I meant my warning lights for oil and alternator. Should these not come on with ignition and the go out when engine is started? πŸ‘
Cannot speak for a 72 but my 1980 has an oil pressure gauge so hence no warning light . The alternator light comes on with the ignition and goes off once running . The 1980 headlight switch has a dimmer control for instrument lights .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
My 1968 displays nothing when I put the ignition on.... unless the handbrake is up, then the handbrake warning light is on.
Ahh mine does that too. I may never have ever seen the light or lights but suddenly thought that they should have been there as most old cars did have a couple of warning lamps that came on with ignition and went off when started

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ahh mine does that too. I may never have ever seen the light or lights but suddenly thought that they should have been there as most old cars did have a couple of warning lamps that came on with ignition and went off when started
It`s just as well C3`s have a ` handbrake on ` warning light otherwise we would never know it was on would we ? :LOL:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
It`s just as well C3`s have a ` handbrake on ` warning light otherwise we would never know it was on would we ? :LOL:
^^ This :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . And it seems quite picky that if the handbrake lever isn't 100% down, it still lights up - I mean I can have it at 99% down and it still lights up.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I have just read the 72 owners manual and mentions the gauges but no reference to lights so am presuming i had never seen them and then panicked when i saw nothing lit.
getting senile perhaps 😩

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I can have the handbrake lever 99% up and the brake is not on πŸ€”πŸ˜‚πŸ‘
Maybe the hand brake warning light just tells us that the hand brake isn`t working . 🀣
On a more serious note the 1980`s C3 have dual circuit brakes so the hand brake light has another important function indicating a brake system fault Don`t know if thats the case on earlier models.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have just read the 72 owners manual and mentions the gauges but no reference to lights so am presuming i had never seen them and then panicked when i saw nothing lit.
getting senile perhaps 😩
Don`t worry about getting senile Mad4 , it`s only a state of mind 🀣

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
A couple of years ago the thing that alerted me to my charging system having failed on my bike was every time i indicated to change lanes on the Motorway it misfired and then ran ok when i switched the indicator off... time to take the next exit.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
On a different note, the new workshop is starting to look large now I have started dismantling the old shed within πŸ‘ vette section is the only bit still with the old roof , car still in its airchamber so safe and dry, Its Going to be a long job tho πŸ˜€

Attachments

• 27F54352-6570-4F54-AB58-CDFF383514F7.jpeg
    27F54352-6570-4F54-AB58-CDFF383514F7.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 0AF97199-7BBB-4648-ACCB-41314E04C2CF.jpeg
    0AF97199-7BBB-4648-ACCB-41314E04C2CF.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 5ACCEE33-A8F9-41A9-A8AB-2E13AFA37378.jpeg
    5ACCEE33-A8F9-41A9-A8AB-2E13AFA37378.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 7