Jaguar Type 01

CaptainK

Administrator
I'm obviously not the person they are aiming it at, so Jaguar probably don't care about my thoughts about it. Which is extremely handy as I think it looks horrid. Still, it does get plus points for not being a SUV.
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Quite like that view, back is awful though. In typical JLR fashion; what the hell were they thinking with the charging door!!
 

Roscobbc

Moderator
The side visibility with the heavily bolstered window frames must be very poor - hopefully this is just a styling rendition as the body's ground clearance as pictured must mean minimal suspension travel.
But having said all that what today may seems like a dreadful looking vehicle could, perhaps become a styling icon that other manufacturers could follow.........perhaps.
 

antijam

CCCUK Member
Here's Vicki's take on it......


When is the craze for big wheels with 'rubber band' tyres going to be over? :( My modern Mustang wears 19's and the ride on anything other than a billiard table is abysmal - 23's are going to need some very clever suspension to give the ride you'd expect from a £120k luxury barge.
 
Last edited:

Roscobbc

Moderator
It looks perhaps far less ungainly in the flesh.......but using huge door mirrors when it already features a rear-looking camera instead of mirror? - why not small screens each side to the dash to match the positioning logic of the rear view 'screen'?
 

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
I think it looks great. It's serving the purpose of repositioning the brand. They don't need to do huge volumes on these, I think creating something so different at least differentiates them in a market where every other EV is starting to look like the other.
 

Roscobbc

Moderator
The problem with 'brands' is they have to change 'identity' over the years and decades to hopefully appeal to existing customers and, importantly new emerging customers.......or disappear.
The values that propelled Jaguar as a luxury saloon and sports car manufacturer in the early 50's through to the mid, late 60's and early 70's have changed. The 'old school' customers are long gone. Today's customer has differing requirements. Best of luck to Jaguar against the might of Chinese manufacturing giants........(who are effectively helped by our very own government). 'Helped' you may ask? - HMG only apply the standard 10% import duty on Chinese vehicles.....European and most other world economies apply additional anti 'dumping' taxes on Chinese imports - here in the UK we don't apply further taxation, thereby making the UK a major 'honeypot' for unloading China's excess vehicle manufacturing capacity.
 

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Here's Vicki's take on it......


When is the craze for big wheels with 'rubber band' tyres going to be over? :( My modern Mustang wears 19's and the ride on anything other than a billiard table is abysmal - 23's are going to need some very clever suspension to give the ride you'd expect from a £120k luxury barge.
Looking at the article on it in this weeks Autocar, 21" wheels will be available. Per Autocar "Well equipped cars will be around £150k and "bespoke" spec cars may top £200k"
 

Roscobbc

Moderator
A Jaguar in name only.
Going back to the late 60's a then girlfriends father was very much a Daimler 'man' - he had one of the last Daimler/Jag 250's (with its slimline bumpers and 2.5 litre hemi V8) lovely car, I was so impressed that I bought an earlier used one a year or two later. The XJ6 hadn't been long released and in 1969 he bought a new 2.8 ltr Sovereign (XJ6). I was really knocked-out by the comfort, ride and interior quality - can't comment on the performance as the gf's dad drove around very leisurely. The whole point I wanted to get to was the sudden change in styling of the Jaguar/Daimler range then. So different from the 2 1/2 litre Daimler I had later and the 3.8 Mark 9 before that. I recall quite a bit of 'anti' feeling from people used to Mark 2's, S types and Mark 10's, few initially seeming to like them, but soon 'warming' and getting used to them.
Wonder if people will get used to the new electric Jag. Will it become the 'new' Edsel?
 

Dorsetsteve

Well-known user
Il make a proper judgement when I see one in real life as things look different in reality. First reaction though is it looks a Hyundai, a Temu 7 series. Not a fan.
 

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
A Jaguar in name only.
Going back to the late 60's a then girlfriends father was very much a Daimler 'man' - he had one of the last Daimler/Jag 250's (with its slimline bumpers and 2.5 litre hemi V8) lovely car, I was so impressed that I bought an earlier used one a year or two later. The XJ6 hadn't been long released and in 1969 he bought a new 2.8 ltr Sovereign (XJ6). I was really knocked-out by the comfort, ride and interior quality - can't comment on the performance as the gf's dad drove around very leisurely. The whole point I wanted to get to was the sudden change in styling of the Jaguar/Daimler range then. So different from the 2 1/2 litre Daimler I had later and the 3.8 Mark 9 before that. I recall quite a bit of 'anti' feeling from people used to Mark 2's, S types and Mark 10's, few initially seeming to like them, but soon 'warming' and getting used to them.
Wonder if people will get used to the new electric Jag. Will it become the 'new' Edsel?
You could quite easily say the same about any manufacturer though. Line a Ferrari SF90 up next to a 275GTB and what do they have in common?

I think the problem around the change being "sudden" is exactly the issue. Jaguar iterated their design language over too long a period, becoming less and less attractive to younger buyers. If they want to remain relevant then this kind of shift is what's needed.
 

Roscobbc

Moderator
You could quite easily say the same about any manufacturer though. Line a Ferrari SF90 up next to a 275GTB and what do they have in common?

I think the problem around the change being "sudden" is exactly the issue. Jaguar iterated their design language over too long a period, becoming less and less attractive to younger buyers. If they want to remain relevant then this kind of shift is what's needed.
I guess at least the Ferrari still has an iconic V8 or V12 (even if battery assisted) - and yes the logic of retaining some early Jaguar styling features when the X type (with Ford engine) and S type (with Ford/Mercury body) were introduced doesn't have the same logic today with the increased need for new advanced electric vehicles.
 

Mr. Cricket

Administrator
My 2nd Jag was an F Type. At somewhere around 50k miles I was stationary drinking a coffee when it started to run rough and I thought it was an underground train vibrating the car. It turned out the super charger coupling had failed and in turn it took out two injectors. Authorised Jag garage quoted me £1,500 to fix which turned into £5k and six months off the road as they had to take the engine out and apart to drill the injector bodies out that had fused into the intake due to water ingress via the bonnet vents. Thought I'd flog it once repaired but I enjoyed driving it again so I hung onto it.

MOT was due at 80k miles so dropped it off and expecting it to be a quick pass I hung around and went for a coffee. Pete called and said come back there's a problem..

A main support rail under the fuel tank was completely rotten and the car was deemed unroadworthy. Car was 9 years old at that time and this time once repaired I did sell it.

I do miss giving it full beans on the M6 toll leaving the toll booth 🏎️
 

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
My 2nd Jag was an F Type. At somewhere around 50k miles I was stationary drinking a coffee when it started to run rough and I thought it was an underground train vibrating the car. It turned out the super charger coupling had failed and in turn it took out two injectors. Authorised Jag garage quoted me £1,500 to fix which turned into £5k and six months off the road as they had to take the engine out and apart to drill the injector bodies out that had fused into the intake due to water ingress via the bonnet vents. Thought I'd flog it once repaired but I enjoyed driving it again so I hung onto it.

MOT was due at 80k miles so dropped it off and expecting it to be a quick pass I hung around and went for a coffee. Pete called and said come back there's a problem..

A main support rail under the fuel tank was completely rotten and the car was deemed unroadworthy. Car was 9 years old at that time and this time once repaired I did sell it.

I do miss giving it full beans on the M6 toll leaving the toll booth 🏎️
I honestly thought they got alot right with the F type. Modern styling with clear nods to the past, great engine line up as well. Just wasn't enough.
 

Roscobbc

Moderator
There are certain brands and cars that the only realistic way to use, run and maintain them is as a company vehicle or on a lease/contract hire with full maintenance. Or.....change vehicle after makers warranty has expired....or take a chance and hope you don't get hit with big bills.
 
Top