Last time you were in America? / General chat thread🤣

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Is that why I sometimes see cars [at night] with no rear lights, but when you pass them, their headlights are on? Always newish cars. Why can’t they have have an audible alarm that tells you when you’re lights aren’t on and it’s dark?…there are warnings for just about everything else in a modern car and this is a fairly important safety matter!

I think most people have driven off at some time and forgotten to put the lights on, usually when there is such strong street lighting that your headlights don’t actually make any difference to seeing where you’re going. I recently saw a police car driving along in the dark with no lights on.
That`s precisely why you see cars at night with no rear lights on . The average modern motorist needs to be told everything by a feckin computer system these days cos they can`t think for themselves . :mad: Listen to the apochryphal song by Zager & Evans from 1969 titled " In the Year 2525 " . It is all coming true but 500 years early . :(

antijam

CCCUK Member
They are a rare sight these days , like when did you last see one at a classic car gathering ? Rampant tin worm ate most them , mine was about 10 years old when one day I opened the bonnet and the hinges collapsed through the inner wings . :eek: At that point I thought it was due for the scrap yard !
We had both an HA and an HB Viva ( my wife worked at Vauxhall so got discount) They weren't bad cars although the HB was rather prone to carburettor icing. The HB was traded up for an FD Victor. This had the slant 4 OHC engine with the first belt drive cam in the UK. It had good performance for the day and when I eventually swapped it with a friend for a Daimler SP250 he went out straight away and lead-footed it to find out just how good - and snapped the cam belt.:( I didn't feel too guilty since the SP250 had a lot of undisclosed problems too.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
We had both an HA and an HB Viva ( my wife worked at Vauxhall so got discount) They weren't bad cars although the HB was rather prone to carburettor icing. The HB was traded up for an FD Victor. This had the slant 4 OHC engine with the first belt drive cam in the UK. It had good performance for the day and when I eventually swapped it with a friend for a Daimler SP250 he went out straight away and lead-footed it to find out just how good - and snapped the cam belt.:( I didn't feel too guilty since the SP250 had a lot of undisclosed problems too.
My Viva was followed by a Victor FE 2000 . A good car with poke for the period and I felt like the `Real Deal` cruisin in that car . It was immaculate when I bought in all white bodywork and black interior . My first wife rear ended another car and buggered up the front end ! It was on a Saturday morning and I went off to play Rugby in such a rage that I broke a guy`s nose in the very first scrum !! :mad:
Next car was a Victor VX 1800 that I bought off a friend . Got shot of the wife and the Victor and got a Triumph Dolomite Sprint then had an Astra GTE 16 Valve ( also a rarity these days ) , then an Opel Manta GTE , loved that car ! No more GM products for a few years until a Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 Litre 4 Door and then the Vette in 2016 .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Opel manta’s we’re/are nice cars. Always liked them
Don`t see many about these days at shows etc . The Recaro reclining bucket seats were brilliant . I was suffering with back trouble from a rugby injury at the time and the Manta was the only place I could sit in confort !

Roscobbc

Had a Firenza Sport SL with the 2300 slant 4. Great engine. Great looks. Running gear was 'weak'. Would give 3 litre Capri's a surprise......Firenza 2-2.jpg

Attachments

• Firenza 2-1.jpg
    Firenza 2-1.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Vettemike09

Committee Member
I should have been in Las Vegas this week at a trade show and then next week on vacation. Last time there was Jan’20 at the Daytona 24Hr race……..next time will hopefully be NY for a trade show in Jan’22 and then Florida again for Daytona 24Hr 🤞🤞🤞

Attachments

• 577073B4-9A4F-4F69-ACFE-9E63303A7A63.jpeg
    577073B4-9A4F-4F69-ACFE-9E63303A7A63.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 6FB64CC9-5117-46AF-A0CE-39348FA32DF6.jpeg
    6FB64CC9-5117-46AF-A0CE-39348FA32DF6.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3820F20E-5609-43AC-8F8B-1AAFBF5DE51D.jpeg
    3820F20E-5609-43AC-8F8B-1AAFBF5DE51D.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 5203B027-EFD9-4336-9340-4C615FB9D321.jpeg
    5203B027-EFD9-4336-9340-4C615FB9D321.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 4

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I should have been in Las Vegas this week at a trade show and then next week on vacation. Last time there was Jan’20 at the Daytona 24Hr race……..next time will hopefully be NY for a trade show in Jan’22 and then Florida again for Daytona 24Hr 🤞🤞🤞
I can feel your disappointment Mike ! :cry:

Redlevel

Well-known user
September 2019..
Orlando to Daytona Beach to Don Garlits Museum to Pensacola to Graceland Memphis to NCM Bowling Green to Chattanooga to JD Lynchburg back to Orlando via Atlanta for the Old Town Cruise nights and Machinegun Orlando.
All in a new Escalade rental. Came back on Thomas Cooks last flight out of Orlando into Glasgow..20210104_221649.jpgFB_IMG_1609798339531.jpg

Attachments

• 20190917_152441.jpg
    20190917_152441.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190917_153555.jpg
    20190917_153555.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 4

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Were abouts are you planning to go ? Wales really does it for me and always has done since I was a lad , especially the Cambrian Mountains of Mid Wales and the more rugged mountains of Snowdonia . Cymru is God`s own country IMO (y)
Just to get this thread back OFF topic again as someone put it back on America visit topic..... :ROFLMAO:

Its a Wales touring holiday for two weeks. Few days down in Brecon Beacons, then 5 days in Pembrokeshire area, then 7 days around Snowdonia. We'll be bombing around seeing lots of stuff on our (using that American term that pops up often) "World Tour!".

* World Tour / World Series is actually restricted to our own country, in this case Wales.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just to get this thread back OFF topic again as someone put it back on America visit topic..... :ROFLMAO:

Its a Wales touring holiday for two weeks. Few days down in Brecon Beacons, then 5 days in Pembrokeshire area, then 7 days around Snowdonia. We'll be bombing around seeing lots of stuff on our (using that American term that pops up often) "World Tour!".

* World Tour / World Series is actually restricted to our own country, in this case Wales.
Wales IS the world !! Sounds great , what car are you doing it in ? If you are a whisky lover the Penderyn Distillery in the Brecon Becons is a must . Makers of Wales` only single malt , it`s real sippin` liquor and like an ` angel crying on your tondue `. 😛 If you want a really great drive try the Abergwesyn Pass in Mid Wales . :DDSCF2943 (1).JPG

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Wales IS the world !! Sounds great , what car are you doing it in ? If you are a whisky lover the Penderyn Distillery in the Brecon Becons is a must . Makers of Wales` only single malt , it`s real sippin` liquor and like an ` angel crying on your tondue `. 😛 If you want a really great drive try the Abergwesyn Pass in Mid Wales . :D
Oh you'll love the car I'm doing it in - a Ford Focus Ghia Sport Turbo ..... diesel, with a whopping 140bhp and the very rare optional extra of a big dent in the front passenger side door. :ROFLMAO:

Alas, medical issues and so forth mean I don't drink alcohol any more sadly (haven't done for MANY years now). My wife also doesn't drink either.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Oh you'll love the car I'm doing it in - a Ford Focus Ghia Sport Turbo ..... diesel, with a whopping 140bhp and the very rare optional extra of a big dent in the front passenger side door. :ROFLMAO:

Alas, medical issues and so forth mean I don't drink alcohol any more sadly (haven't done for MANY years now). My wife also doesn't drink either.
Oh well , at least if you pick up another dent on narrow Welsh mountain roads it might not upset you so much . You can get them all repaired as a job lot . :LOL: