LED headlights

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
There are lots of little mods I'd like to do to my 68 C3 over the years, one of them is LED headlights, especially the "dipped beam" ones.

I've seen loads of different C3 LED headlight kits all over the place and they look good etc etc. The question I have though is about whether they are ok for use over here in UK. My thinking being these kits are designed for C3s in LHD countries like their home state of USA. So will the "beam pattern" of these kits be ok for use in the UK, or will I need to find specific kits / individual LED lights for the C3 over here in the UK?

As a novice car tinkering person, a "kit" would be better, but separate lights would be fine too.

Thanks.

Roscobbc

There are lots of little mods I'd like to do to my 68 C3 over the years, one of them is LED headlights, especially the "dipped beam" ones.

I've seen loads of different C3 LED headlight kits all over the place and they look good etc etc. The question I have though is about whether they are ok for use over here in UK. My thinking being these kits are designed for C3s in LHD countries like their home state of USA. So will the "beam pattern" of these kits be ok for use in the UK, or will I need to find specific kits / individual LED lights for the C3 over here in the UK?

As a novice car tinkering person, a "kit" would be better, but separate lights would be fine too.

Thanks.
Do a 'read-up' on Xenon (halogen replacement bulbs)........arguably, depending on output chosen (and whether EU legal) potentially a brighter and simpler option than LED's.........not talking about HID Xenon (which are an illegal retrofit) , simply Zenon replacement bulbs, perhaps in new reflectors......I've been using 50% brighter Xenon for years now. Minimal additional loading and there are 100% brighter options.

GiuG

CCCUK Member
This is cool, and I have a side question... one day I'd like to upgrade the front lights with LED, but to wide up the beam I like to turn all the 4 lights on low light and for depth put only in a couple of them a "double filament" led. I think a C3 looking cool with 4 low beams, and only when you need a couple of them become stronger.... I think is easily doable... maybe :D

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Do a 'read-up' on Xenon (halogen replacement bulbs)........arguably, depending on output chosen (and whether EU legal) potentially a brighter and simpler option than LED's.........not talking about HID Xenon (which are an illegal retrofit) , simply Zenon replacement bulbs, perhaps in new reflectors......I've been using 50% brighter Xenon for years now. Minimal additional loading and there are 100% brighter options.
Indeed, I re-read the Xenon and H4 bulb replacement thread we have on this forum before I posted. I have vague memories of it having LED RHD info, but my memory was wrong - it was just sealed beam "normal" bulb replacements for RHD. So I thought I'd ask about anyone use LED replacements.

I'm currently using those 50% brighter Xenon bulbs in my FTO. Previously I had a set of aftermarket HID lights installed into them (projector lenses in FTOs as HID was a factory option). But I wasn't really convinced with HID, so went back to the upgraded Xenons (OSRAMS I think I'm using) which are better.

I've looked at a few now, and interesting most of the kits use the same bulb for all four "holes" in the headlights, where they are all "dipped" and "main". Might be cool having all 4 Corvette lights come on in dipped mode. I could use Xenons on the Corvette, but I just fancy trying something different, and hence the LEDs.

Roscobbc

Indeed, I re-read the Xenon and H4 bulb replacement thread we have on this forum before I posted. I have vague memories of it having LED RHD info, but my memory was wrong - it was just sealed beam "normal" bulb replacements for RHD. So I thought I'd ask about anyone use LED replacements.

I'm currently using those 50% brighter Xenon bulbs in my FTO. Previously I had a set of aftermarket HID lights installed into them (projector lenses in FTOs as HID was a factory option). But I wasn't really convinced with HID, so went back to the upgraded Xenons (OSRAMS I think I'm using) which are better.

I've looked at a few now, and interesting most of the kits use the same bulb for all four "holes" in the headlights, where they are all "dipped" and "main". Might be cool having all 4 Corvette lights come on in dipped mode. I could use Xenons on the Corvette, but I just fancy trying something different, and hence the LEDs.
If using the same Xenon/Halogen main/dip bulbs for all 4 reflectors you will need to upgrade wiring etc to cope with additional load..........I wonder how effective the super bright non- EU approved main beam bulbs are....?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
If using the same Xenon/Halogen main/dip bulbs for all 4 reflectors you will need to upgrade wiring etc to cope with additional load..........I wonder how effective the super bright non- EU approved main beam bulbs are....?
Yeah agreed and re-reading my post above I didn't specify the kits I saw that I was thinking about doing that with, but I meant LED kit. I was only thinking about the "all four lights" with LED bulbs though due to the lower loading. Deffo wouldn't bother with Xenon/Halogen, for the reasons you state.

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Yeah agreed and re-reading my post above I didn't specify the kits I saw that I was thinking about doing that with, but I meant LED kit. I was only thinking about the "all four lights" with LED bulbs though due to the lower loading. Deffo wouldn't bother with Xenon/Halogen, for the reasons you state.
With these cars is always nice to dream to make them cooler :D Myself I never found a LED kit for the front lights that work with the old C3. Sorry in advance, I know that for some Corvette purist, I'm a heretic, but I'd love to have four low beams all together shine the road also because mine are quite yellow-ish now....

Last edited:

Roscobbc

With these cars is always nice to dream to make them cooler :D Myself I never found a LED kit for the front lights that work with the old C3. Sorry in advance, I know that for some Corvette purist, I'm a heretic, but I'd love to have four low beams all together shine the road also because mine are quite yellow-ish now....
GiuG - welcome to the other 'heretics' on here!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I always figured "its your own car, do what you want with it". :)

* except of course accepting Ā£2k scrappage for a car worth at least 10 times that. That would be silly financially, and also confine a good classic car to the bin.

GiuG

CCCUK Member
1670955498193.png
GiuG - welcome to the other 'heretics' on here!
I hope my heresy don't make me electrocuted, here is my blueprint if it makes sense (the "green" is the second positive that makes the high beam live I made green to make more clear I hope). For sure, I did not see the C3 specs yet, but first you need is a proper "double filament" LED that fit the lamp and the right socket :) you need only a new lamp per pairs that support double filament, who knows one day..... The only real problem is that Some LEDs react weirdly to the Corvette voltage or harness. I try to put LED signals once, but they blink like a machine gun in the night! Who like Star Wars can think about that...

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
LEDs for indicators often don't work in old cars due to the relays I think it is. Basically the old style lights act as a resistor too, and it controls the on / off rate for the indicators. So when the old lamps blow, the resistance across them changes and then you get the machine gun fire style of the indicators - it helps let you know a bulb has gone.

Problem is with LED replacements is the lack of resistance, so the old school wiring thinks the bulb has blown and you get the machine gun fire.

* Note: Very untechnical talk. I could have Googled for the final exact details, but thought I'd brain dump instead.

Roscobbc

LEDs for indicators often don't work in old cars due to the relays I think it is. Basically the old style lights act as a resistor too, and it controls the on / off rate for the indicators. So when the old lamps blow, the resistance across them changes and then you get the machine gun fire style of the indicators - it helps let you know a bulb has gone.

Problem is with LED replacements is the lack of resistance, so the old school wiring thinks the bulb has blown and you get the machine gun fire.

* Note: Very untechnical talk. I could have Googled for the final exact details, but thought I'd brain dump instead.
You need to buy the whole 'kit' that is compatible for the LED's you are using.......so LED specific flasher unit too (sensibly from same supplier as LEDs) and hope that the systems lasts long enough to make the increased cost worth it!

Roscobbc

Haven't used these people - supposed to be good - some items often seem out of stock. For us '68 and '69 owners they do a 'switchback' white/amber led that will replace the white only tungsten front sidelight/indicator bulb.
With a bit of ingenuity (and this only applies to '68 car with rear valance mounted back-up lights) - wondering whether a pair of these could be used on the outboard rear lights for brake/indicator and the inboard pair used as per stock function (i.e side/stop) then perhaps the valance mounted back up lights could use red/white switchback leds for back-up and rear fog lights.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've already got LED rear lights in my 1968. Dunno what type, but they were installed when I had it imported in 2016 by ShipMyCar who also handled the conversion and getting it ready for MOT etc. I confess I'd briefly forgotten they were LED šŸ˜–:ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

I've already got LED rear lights in my 1968. Dunno what type, but they were installed when I had it imported in 2016 by ShipMyCar who also handled the conversion and getting it ready for MOT etc. I confess I'd briefly forgotten they were LED šŸ˜–:ROFLMAO:
I like the idea of white/amber 'switchbacks' using the stock, clear front sidelights........amber/red 'switchbacks' in rear lights (with the rear oem lenses).......it's supposed to shine thru' as amber.......I'd need to see to believe!

johng

CCCUK Member
I've got the white/amber switchbacks (with resistors in parallel) on the rear for indicators and reversing lamps and they work very well.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I like the idea of white/amber 'switchbacks' using the stock, clear front sidelights........amber/red 'switchbacks' in rear lights (with the rear oem lenses).......it's supposed to shine thru' as amber.......I'd need to see to believe!
You've got me thinking about my rear lights now. I know they are all original (or at least original looking) red lens rear lights, and I know my indicators are in there. But for the life of me I can't remember what they look like when the indicators go off now. Have to try and have a look next time I drive it, but it must show amber colour as it had to be MOT'd after importing before it was allowed on the road, and they did that rear LED lights conversion purely for the MOT.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Thereā€™s an article about lighting upgrades in the current issue of Car Mechanic magazine.
You might already know thisā€¦..It mentions that there is the same issue with LED headlamps as there was with HID in that the Halogen/ filament type reflectors will not control the light pattern correctly. There is now a note in the MOT testers handbook to include LEDs as well as HID bulbs retrofitted in halogen reflectors are a fail - ā€œlight source and lamp not compatibleā€ they call the ā€œreflectorā€ the ā€œlampā€ if Iā€™m understanding all this correctly.

Iā€˜m finding that Iā€™m being dazzled by oncoming cars or distracted by super bright headlights in cars behind me more often than ever these days and itā€™s nearly always new or nearly carsā€¦.not sure what regulations theyā€™re working to? Often seems to be all-electric cars, Teslas in particular have intensely bright headlights. Thereā€™s lots more pickup truck and SUV style vehicles on the road nowadays with the headlights mounted higher up in the first place perhaps adds to the problem?