LT1 finned rocker covers

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
anyone suggest a good make of valve cover gaskets that are good fit, read a few of reports of too big and leaky ones even in felpro and other good makes. ?πŸ€”
I fitted FEI PRO gaskets when I refitted my valve covers . Had no problems with fit or leaks , just used a gasket sealant . I ordered them on line from DSC_0936.JPG Malibu Parts in Lechlade , Gloucestershire . I have been following your posts on referb of covers versus chrome replacements . I wanted to keep mine looking stock rather than blinged up and had mine shot peened and coated with Xylan 1270 in silver colour which is a good match for the stock colour . It is a chemicaly bonded coating that is highly abrasion and high temperature resistant .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
excellent, you have a good inventory of parts , I will see what else I need. my handles all work but the chrome is a bit lack lustre, are they a bit of a fiddle to fit ? or dooable by an old duffer with a first class honour’s in muppetry?πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘
I replaced both my door handles as the chrome was pitted and mechanisms warn on mine . You need the dexterity of dentist and plenty of patience to get the nuts onto the studs on the handles in such a confined space but it is double . A telescopic magnetic wand will be useful for all the times you drop bits into the innerds of the door . :LOL:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I replaced both my door handles as the chrome was pitted and mechanisms warn on mine . You need the dexterity of dentist and plenty of patience to get the nuts onto the studs on the handles in such a confined space but it is double . A telescopic magnetic wand will be useful for all the times you drop bits into the innerds of the door . :LOL:
shhhhh, I told him it is a piece of cake...

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I fitted FEI PRO gaskets when I refitted my valve covers . Had no problems with fit or leaks , just used a gasket sealant . I ordered them on line from View attachment 19793 Malibu Parts in Lechlade , Gloucestershire . I have been following your posts on referb of covers versus chrome replacements . I wanted to keep mine looking stock rather than blinged up and had mine shot peened and coated with Xylan 1270 in silver colour which is a good match for the stock colour . It is a chemicaly bonded coating that is highly abrasion and high temperature resistant .
Thanks chuffer, I know we discussed the finish on yours previously, which is pretty close to original, I didnt want chrome as too much bling and too far from stock. However , on seeing the polished alloy ones I think the combination of the polished bits and the finned bits strike a good balance , plus they can be bought back with a quick polish over having to re finish. πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks chuffer, I know we discussed the finish on yours previously, which is pretty close to original, I didnt want chrome as too much bling and too far from stock. However , on seeing the polished alloy ones I think the combination of the polished bits and the finned bits strike a good balance , plus they can be bought back with a quick polish over having to re finish. πŸ‘
Will order up some felpro gaskets tho πŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
ha ha ! I like a challenge, I eventually managed to set the camber /ride height on the back of my buggy. , those inner and outer splines 😱πŸ’₯still have all my fingers too πŸ€£πŸ‘
If I had the patience ( just ! ) to replace my handles then anyone can . There was more than a bit of Fu Fu Fu ing and counting to 10 but I cracked it . It is the classic case of being able to see where bits go but can`t get your hands in , or get your hands in but then can`t see what your fiddling with . 🀣

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If I had the patience ( just ! ) to replace my handles then anyone can . There was more than a bit of Fu Fu Fu ing and counting to 10 but I cracked it . It is the classic case of being able to see where bits go but can`t get your hands in , or get your hands in but then can`t see what your fiddling with . 🀣
Great!, I will look forward to that job , but will be worth it to have some super shiny handles πŸ€©πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Great!, I will look forward to that job , but will be worth it to have some super shiny handles πŸ€©πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Burning the midnight oil in the workshop, .. well not quite actually, I bought an oil burning stove to run in the workshop end of the shed which I plan to run on waste oil. Started to clean and service it only to find that the inside turns out to be a similar state to Tim p’s birdcage !!πŸ˜©πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« guy assured me it was all working fine ! Have gutted the internals and looks like I can hopefully use the oil pan / burner and not bother with the fake wood and coal effect bit . Got to get it going for the kettle to go with those hob nobs when you guys are in cornwall πŸ‘FE347736-EFEB-45F2-A57D-B86E7D8FA5FB.jpeg55A54B97-3BB7-4512-96DE-0F6FA14CC889.jpeg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I think that's what the garage my brother works at does - they have their heating system run from the waste oil from the cars they service etc.

Ideally I also need to replace the rocker cover gaskets on mine as well. Had a weep a while back, but turned out one screw was a little loose. Nipped it up and fine since. But still, probably should replace them at some point.

antijam

CCCUK Member
I used Fel-Pro gaskets too and have had no problems. I do still have 'tin' rather than cast valve covers so I fitted wider spreader bars than standard to minimise distortion when clamping down.

Untitled-1.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Burning the midnight oil in the workshop, .. well not quite actually, I bought an oil burning stove to run in the workshop end of the shed which I plan to run on waste oil. Started to clean and service it only to find that the inside turns out to be a similar state to Tim p’s birdcage !!πŸ˜©πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« guy assured me it was all working fine ! Have gutted the internals and looks like I can hopefully use the oil pan / burner and not bother with the fake wood and coal effect bit . Got to get it going for the kettle to go with those hob nobs when you guys are in cornwall πŸ‘View attachment 19809View attachment 19810
| will be in Cornwall at end of June next year so put the kettle on now as I like my tea well stewed . πŸ«– :LOL:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
8960A22A-E6EB-4AF8-9455-11CB427E5D44.jpeg
| will be in Cornwall at end of June next year so put the kettle on now as I like my tea well stewed . πŸ«– :LOL:
well! We wont be cold in the workshop , started on kerosene and then waste oil 😁πŸ’₯πŸ‘

Attachments

• 0856FD25-8B43-42A7-B1BC-F72DD8373DC4.jpeg
    0856FD25-8B43-42A7-B1BC-F72DD8373DC4.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1
  • CC00BD23-5120-4087-B45F-F446F4BA5E3B.jpeg
    CC00BD23-5120-4087-B45F-F446F4BA5E3B.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 1

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
View attachment 19816 well! We wont be cold in the workshop , started on kerosene and then waste oil 😁πŸ’₯πŸ‘
Sounds good to me (y) I developed a taste for well stewed tea over the years of having my enamel brew can sitting on the `mashing tray` for hours at a time . The tea ended up looking like bulls blood . I bet the waste oil makes a good pong ! We used to fill big plastic Coke bottles with waste oil and then chuck them in firebox . We called them ` Clag Bombs` and they made a fantastic pawl of instant777 footplate 3.JPG black smoke that pleased the lineside photographers no end . :LOL:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Sounds good to me (y) I developed a taste for well stewed tea over the years of having my enamel brew can sitting on the `mashing tray` for hours at a time . The tea ended up looking like bulls blood . I bet the waste oil makes a good pong ! We used to fill big plastic Coke bottles with waste oil and then chuck them in firebox . We called them ` Clag Bombs` and they made a fantastic pawl of instantView attachment 19818 black smoke that pleased the lineside photographers no end . :LOL:
looks fun , cant say the mashed tea sounds nice as I like mine the colour of milk. I was surprised how clean the waste oil burns , not smeechy as I imagined. Just need to make up a 20ish litre metal fuel tank with tap and will be all set. πŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
looks fun , cant say the mashed tea sounds nice as I like mine the colour of milk. I was surprised how clean the waste oil burns , not smeechy as I imagined. Just need to make up a 20ish litre metal fuel tank with tap and will be all set. πŸ‘
Colour of milk ???? That`s not proper tea !