Number plate choices.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi, hoping to be issued with an age related plate soon for my 72.
what have folk on here done with the choice of plates. Do most go with the black and silver , the chome engraved on black, or us pressed style or even yellow rear and white front modern plates. Any pics of types on yr vettes please 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Nick B , I am with you so far, next problem is how to expose that sexy centre egg crate grill and still run a front plate 😩

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I think black and silver look better on earlier cars but being a 1980 car I had these reflective plates made up in white and yellow to original US plate dimensions with a purple border to mimic the body colour . You could choose your own DSCF3029.JPGDSCF3031.JPGwording so being a Sporting Bears member I went for ` Sporting Bears - Driving For Charity `.

Roscobbc

The simple answer to 'open-up' the centre grille on a chrome bumpers C3 is to use the the slightly smaller (bike sized but UK legal) number plates. I made some brackets and drpped it down below the level of the centre grille. My reason for doing this was not aesthetic - it was for improved air flow through the grille and radiator and therefore better cooling (which it achieved) - didn't realise untill that point that '68/'69 Vettes should have the horizontal grille bars finidhed in silver - which I think is nice.

Attachments

• 20201218_125449.jpg
    20201218_125449.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 14

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Only problem is they are not UK legal as spacing is wrong . Doubt the plod would ever stop you considering the many ludicrous creations you see on the road these days . An MOT station might take a different view though unless you use a `tolerant ` one ! 🤫

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The simple answer to 'open-up' the centre grille on a chrome bumpers C3 is to use the the slightly smaller (bike sized but UK legal) number plates. I made some brackets and drpped it down below the level of the centre grille. My reason for doing this was not aesthetic - it was for improved air flow through the grille and radiator and therefore better cooling (which it achieved) - didn't realise untill that point that '68/'69 Vettes should have the horizontal grille bars finidhed in silver - which I think is nice.
Hmm, thanks, I will have a play around 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Here is my rear end. It uses a flat silver and black plate - they are the plates the car came with after I imported it. I do like the States Plates look as above, but time and money need investing elsewhere etc. That and Plod....

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Same colour as mine, black and silver look perfect 👍
Oh 100%, on our older models with chrome bumpers the black and silver combo looks much better. Just depends on whether you want a flat plate like mine, or one with raised letters etc. I wasn't that fussed, so stuck with the plates the car came with from the importers.

Redlevel

Well-known user
DVLA spec for non EU type approved imported vehicles (..ours) with small plate apertures is..
Font.. 64x44mm
Spacing.. 10mm
Strike.. 10mm

I would just fit what you like as long as it is readable, it should be fine. 🙄