Number plate holders/brackets

IanS C8 HTC

CCCUK Member
4834E0D4-3265-4CAD-BE6C-AFCBCA9BE237.jpeg what’s your thoughts on the position for the bracket? it uses the tow hook bolt for a fixing ? And is the USA size plate legal in the Uk?

Jim W

CCCUK Member
The standard UK number plate bracket looks awful on a C8.
Best to use a US market bracket..... GM #84793981

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Love it, would it still be road legal for 7 digits 3+4 in two rows one above the other?
That depends whether the car is US or Euro. All Euro cars need full size characters to be fully legal and you probably wouldn't be able to fit two rows with correct spacing on a standard US mount.
If the car is a US import you can try to claim it doesn't have room for a full size front plate and therefore try to rely on the exemption that allows motorcycle-size plates and characters to be used on a car. But this is really only intended to cover cars where there's an "aperture" in e.g. the tailgate or rear bumper in which the number plate needs to fit. You see quite a few Japanese imports like this.

IMO the best option is to buy a "short" number like Jim W that will fit the US mount with full size, UK legal characters. My preference is to use a standard height UK plate with the ends cut off, so there are black bars above the plate and below the plate on that US mount. It's a bit fiddly to organise but gives a good result.

C8s won't need MOT test for a while. However, latest MOT rules include,
* Registration plate characters must be the correct size, stroke width and spacing. (This includes spacing around the edges.)
* Registration plates may be in single or two line formats.

Jim W

CCCUK Member
I think you'd get away with it anyway. There's a lot of American cars in the UK, and practically all of them have smaller plates.
A shorter reg is cheap enough to buy from the DVLA and is better than the full 7 digit reg. I paid £395 for mine from the DVLA on-line site.

IanS C8 HTC

CCCUK Member
That depends whether the car is US or Euro. All Euro cars need full size characters to be fully legal and you probably wouldn't be able to fit two rows with correct spacing on a standard US mount.
If the car is a US import you can try to claim it doesn't have room for a full size front plate and therefore try to rely on the exemption that allows motorcycle-size plates and characters to be used on a car. But this is really only intended to cover cars where there's an "aperture" in e.g. the tailgate or rear bumper in which the number plate needs to fit. You see quite a few Japanese imports like this.

IMO the best option is to buy a "short" number like Jim W that will fit the US mount with full size, UK legal characters. My preference is to use a standard height UK plate with the ends cut off, so there are black bars above the plate and below the plate on that US mount. It's a bit fiddly to organise but gives a good result.

C8s won't need MOT test for a while. However, latest MOT rules include,
* Registration plate characters must be the correct size, stroke width and spacing. (This includes spacing around the edges.)
* Registration plates may be in single or two line formats.
Thanks for the info and advice

antijam

CCCUK Member
Isn't your reg a Northern Ireland one Ian?

P1370768.JPG

Doesn't make it any easier to fit in.:unsure:

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
At least slides right off if doing a show or event
They also make one for base Stingray that has no front spoiler

Here is the maker's website

Makes license plate holders

Could click on their "contact Us" link at the bottom, and maybe they could make a deal price
if others in club or others would want one

They make these for many types of vehicles

Last edited:

IanS C8 HTC

CCCUK Member
At least slides right off if doing a show or event
They also make one for base Stingray that has no front spoiler

Here is the maker's website

Makes license plate holders

Could click on their "contact Us" link at the bottom, and maybe they could make a deal price
if others in club or others would want one

They make these for many types of vehicles
That looks the business!
I think you’ve found the solution, suitable for European plate and factory fitted z51 spoilers
Thanks

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You're Welcome,

Another reason I would slant to this vendor's product, as their website states :

Disabled Veteran and Retired Master Sergeant from the United States Air Force, Mike McKinney started out as a mechanic at 17 years old in San Jose, CA. Mike joined the US Air Force in 1980 where he enjoyed a successful career in Law Enforcement.
He traveled the globe on many missions protecting his country during his 24 years of service.

He was retired from active duty in 2004 due to injuries sustained while on active duty.

They have been designing and making these for 10 plus years

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
They make an option costing $5 that you would know better than I as it allows mounting UK plates or American sized plates

UK plates option

You can order their product directly on their website, and they make these from C5s to C8s
Bet you guys could make some money, contact them and become s dealer to see UK and other areas near you
and looks like they give a discount for those that were in military or first responders

Last edited: