Number Plates

Letank

CCCUK Member
I like your States Plates. You can research online how many drivers are fined for illegal plates. I imagine most fines relate to dodgy spacing and other tricks to spell names. You may get away with these with any luck. Are you feeling lucky?
I had the exact same style statesplates on my 73 for 2 years with no issues, so I’m not too concerned about that aspect. 👍🏻4482C6E8-0B72-406C-8654-80D7BFC5A8AC.jpeg

Letank

CCCUK Member
For anyone considering 12”x8” plates, please don’t do it! 😄 They are far too big imo, especially on the front.61DADCB8-F8C3-41FB-A059-A32F3AB13F11.jpeg7BF24CB7-057A-4473-8979-BBDC621C8495.jpeg

Roppa440

Well-known user
It helps when using States Plates to go with plain standard UK colours, no graphics and no other wording or numbering other than the licence number itself. Then it doesn't draw attention. Also get the UK vertical size digits. The US digits themselves are not quite as wide as the UK spec but it is only a couple of mm difference. Not enough to bother the police.

It also helps a lot if you get a registration number that is only 6 digits or less. Then the plate does't look crowded. Few hundred quid from DVLC but does look better.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
UKGov allow 12” x 6” plates for imported US cars but there are detailed requirements for letter size and spacing. Plates that look American with additional wording usually require the reg letters or spacing to be smaller than specified. This would make them illegal. Old style black/white or silver plates do not require BS code and plate makers details as required in white/yellow modern plates.
Do you have a link etc to back up your assertion that 12*6" plates are legal on imported cars? I'd be happy to print off something to show Plod should the need arise....

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
If using 12 x 6 US sized plates you are allowed to use the slightly smaller motorbike sized lettering. Spacing and font must still be as per UK regs. Looks better balanced with smaller font.
Any links etc to support the use of smaller font please??

Roscobbc

Have run US cars with US size plates since 1977, never been pulled up once for the size of the plate.
This was the original 'understanding' relating to bike sized number plates. I do not see any major reference to this in the latest DVLA download..........but it should be retrospective, so given the age of our vehicles the m/c sized plates should be 100% legal (if your vehicle is an older import). The 'real' question will be if later cars, say 2001 onwards can use the smaller font. I would guess that 'officially' imported American vehicles (so that is cars that were marketed in the UK by a manufacturers dealer network) can not use this legislation (whereas a 'personal' import should be covered)
My six figure registration plates are 6" high x 12" wide on rear and 6" high x 9" on front. Front is lowered (to unblock centre grille)
Numerals are 64mm high, 44mm wide figure. My understanding is that this is 100% legal

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 11-16-32 DTLR News Release.png

Attachments

• 20220415_123304.jpg
    20220415_123304.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220415_123641.jpg
    20220415_123641.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 4

Roppa440

Well-known user
There seems to be some confusion here.
The size of the plate has nothing to with the plate being legal or not.
It's the size and spacing of the font that makes it one or the other.

Roscobbc

There seems to be some confusion here.
The size of the plate has nothing to with the plate being legal or not.
It's the size and spacing of the font that makes it one or the other.
No confusion here Dave. As far as I'm concerned its a 'given' that DVLA approved font, size and spacing etc is adhered to. Anything else (including States Plates items) are not legal - use 'em and you're on your own.....

Roppa440

Well-known user
No confusion here Dave. As far as I'm concerned its a 'given' that DVLA approved font, size and spacing etc is adhered to. Anything else (including States Plates items) are not legal - use 'em and you're on your own.....

Well States plates do give you the option of using 80mm tall font and that part is legal. The only difference is the thickness of the digits. They are just a couple of mm thinner than the 14mm normal. It's really not enough to attract unwanted attention or create unwanted Police paperwork. On both Corvettes I have had I used a UK legal plate on the rear anyway. That's the one any Police are going to be looking at.
The number recognition systems do not have any difficulty with the 80mm States Plate I use on the front. Works with police/council cameras, paperless car parks and toll roads no problem and at the end of the day that is really all they want them for.

Roppa440

Well-known user
The US size front plates with 80mm tall font.

Attachments

• c5rront.jpg
    c5rront.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 10
  • c7front.jpg
    c7front.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 10

Roppa440

Well-known user
The UK legal 80mm tall font rear plates.

Attachments

• C5rear.jpg
    C5rear.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 8
  • c7rear.jpg
    c7rear.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 8

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I suppose you could get a pull on the C7 rear plate as it’s a bit small for UK, of course the C5 has a UK rear bumper so the plate opening will accept a UK size plate. Both cars look fine to me, and if I was a copper, I wouldn’t bother with a “pull”. However some are “jobsworths” and will take great pleasure in pulling you up, either for a lecture or a Nicking.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think problems arise with the more “fancy” designs from states plates and the like. I’ve seen white backgrounds with coloured lettering which is totally illegal.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I was pulled up many many many years ago on the M25 by the police for no front plate. I was on FL tags in a C4 and explained you can’t have a front plate period. They would have none of it.They were right, and I was wrong. Went to Chelmsford magistrates court for the case, explained same, case dismissed. Both officers were told off for wasting the courts time. They were NOT happy.