Oil filter type c3

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I keep toying with the idea of having mine on a rolling road to find out just what it is turning out . I am running with a 305 cu in Camaro IROC -Z engine with a 9.5 compression ratio , Edelbrock Torker 2 inlet manifold and 600 cfm Edlebrock carb and a Hypertech Street & Strip dizzie . De smogged and tandard manifolds but decatted and piped straight through to Supertrap tail mufflers . Happy with what I have got but just wondering what max bhp to expect . :unsure:
I'm glad I did - my 327 was running about 185bhp before the rolling road where it was also being tuned. Felt like a different car after they set it up properly. Still 250bhp now is not bad, and its enough for me.

Blockpower

CCCUK Member
I keep toying with the idea of having mine on a rolling road to find out just what it is turning out . I am running with a 305 cu in Camaro IROC -Z engine with a 9.5 compression ratio , Edelbrock Torker 2 inlet manifold and 600 cfm Edlebrock carb and a Hypertech Street & Strip dizzie . De smogged and tandard manifolds but decatted and piped straight through to Supertrap tail mufflers . Happy with what I have got but just wondering what max bhp to expect . :unsure:
Blimey that sounds like a great set up.

Get it done

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
If you research some of your motors component specs you can run them through this horsepower calculator that I posted up a while ago:

Googling your IROC-Z motor, the stated factory output was 190 Bhp @ 4000 and 284 lb/ft torque, also @ 4000rpm. You've got a different intake from factory which may give better bhp. Intakes can make quite a difference to any given engine but if they give you more horsepower, there is often a trade-off on the torque number.
It's only those guys with big blocks that get to have big torque AND big horsepower potential (although forced induction on a SBC works well)

Roscobbc

If you research some of your motors component specs you can run them through this horsepower calculator that I posted up a while ago:

Googling your IROC-Z motor, the stated factory output was 190 Bhp @ 4000 and 284 lb/ft torque, also @ 4000rpm. You've got a different intake from factory which may give better bhp. Intakes can make quite a difference to any given engine but if they give you more horsepower, there is often a trade-off on the torque number.
It's only those guys with big blocks that get to have big torque AND big horsepower potential (although forced induction on a SBC works well)
Torker single plane inlet will tend to move tq and hp figures further up the rev range than a dual plane - but couple that with higher flowing heads and a cam that is optimised for the higher revs and there are significant benefits to be had.........but it never stops there does it?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor

I assume Brits call a "Rolling Road" is a chassis dyno ?
If so, what do you use, a static drum type or a load bearing type ?

If you want more detail, if you supply me with a dead stop run to like 100 MPH (or at least 10 data points) and tell me
the elapsed seconds from 0 MPH to each 10 MPH after that, along with what the RPMs were for each MPH of each 10 data points
So that is elapsed seconds, RPM & MPH I can do all the math

If you want the numbers even closer than tell me what the weather temps, dew point, pressure, and aprox elevation in feet is, so I can calculate corrected D/A

Also, what you think your flywheel HP is and aprox weight I also calculate what numbers would be at a drag strip as to ET and trap speed

I crunch all the numbers
If wanting more data tell me rearend gear ratio, each tranny gear ratios and tire size

D-Dyno#Power.jpg

And results are like this at the HP and Tq to what RPMs were that would not get using a static type of chassis dyno

hptq.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

Info I have seen states that a 1985 IROC -Z gave 215 bhp with TPI . Mine is a 1985 but with carb etc as stated . I will have a go at the HP calculator and see what I come up with .

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I saw there was a carburated engine option for the IROC - I took that??

The lowest horse-power Corvette, an honour my ‘75* very proudly took when it left the factory would still have accelerated pretty well - because the torque was always there.
(*although it’s now stroked with a tad more power🤣🤣).

There’s that saying about two cars - one with more bhp, the other with more torque - that for street driving, the car with the torque will be quickest. It will also be the most pleasant to drive when you’re not belting it.

antijam

CCCUK Member
There’s that saying about two cars - one with more bhp, the other with more torque - that for street driving, the car with the torque will be quickest. It will also be the most pleasant to drive when you’re not belting it.

Torque gives you acceleration, power gives you speed. On our increasingly crowded and speed regulated roads high power is largely superfluous. Even the base engines from the doldrum years of the C3 have enough torque to provide plenty of driving fun. My base '71 has probably lost several of its original 270 horses over the years, but the 'shove in the back' factor is still invigorating. :)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Seeing who can twist better, ie, Torque
If it cannot twist the crank well, then HP will pay for it

Took different makes of 1968, as engine and tranny types and then throw in a few smog'ers in C3 and modeled them as compares

c3cmpb.jpg
Then took the 20 of them and day at the drag strip

c3drags.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
250 HP of real horse power! (not a figment of someones imagination)
Yeah, it does bother me when people say "added this, that, the other to my car and now it runs XYZ horsepower!", and then when you ask for the rolling road output they say they've never had it checked.

Take for example my car - it had an upgraded Edelbrock Carb, Edelbrock intake and HEI distro - that's gotta be good for an extra 50bhp right? Add that onto the factory rating of 300bhp for my car and that's an easy 350bhp bro for monster burnouts!!! Yeehaw! Errrr.... no, I had it checked and it was about 185bhp before setting it up properly (250 after setup). :ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

Torque gives you acceleration, power gives you speed. On our increasingly crowded and speed regulated roads high power is largely superfluous. Even the base engines from the doldrum years of the C3 have enough torque to provide plenty of driving fun. My base '71 has probably lost several of its original 270 horses over the years, but the 'shove in the back' factor is still invigorating. :)
With a very real 600 ft lbs of torque the power on mine almost never ever seems to run out - from 1500 rpm it's a steady increase - from 2500 rpm its a quite significant increase - from engines torque peak at 3800 rpm it's kinda manic. With 70 mph cruise at 2550 rpm simply 'flooring' it in 4th and it just goes - drop it down to 3rd and its closer to its torque peak..........even with sticky 285 section tyres the slightest bit of damp or grease on road surface can be problematic........wouldn't care be driving it with an auto transmission.