Questions About Owning A C3 In The UK?

Roscobbc

Internal width of container is 2350 mm. So 2" under 8'. Chrome bumper Vette is 1758 mm wide (69"). So it will fit but you'll probably need to step out of T Roof (rather than door) or push/pull the car in. No different to many local authority lock-ups - I've used 8' wide lock-ups before with other American cars.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I recently visited a chap here who has a lovely 1972 and, coincidentally, lives on a farm. His car is stored in a garage made of two shipping containers, fixed together and the "inner" walls taken out, giving a good sized, almost double, garage. He does have them on a concrete "slab". Fully painted, all sorts of pictures, poster and photos on the wall, work bench, power, even an armchair and a coffee machine. He has at least one extractor fan, but is looking at installing A/C - (it gets much warmer here), but has had no issues in the few years he's had it.

Personally, if I couldn't keep a Corvette in a garage of some sort, I wouldn't have one. But, I don't leave any cars outside.

Roscobbc

Ross should be "Fan powered 4/27"
Barry - you are so 'adroit' wiv dem words -
slide_4.jpg

Alben78

Well-known user
Yes had mine in a regular garage for 27 years until it was recently sold. It just fitted in but it was not possible to get into the passenger door and the drivers door was a bit of a squeeze but possible. Length wise it was fine. I put a rubber strip on the wall at waist height to prevent door damage. It was also on a battery tender so access to the rear of the drivers seat was possible but a bit of a squeeze. Servicing was quite possible, I changed the oil and filter on many occasions, the steering control valve and associated plumbing 3 times, brake calipers at least twice and had the radiator out. Eventually we had an extension added which allowed me to widen the garage at one end which made working on one corner at a time much easier, other than having to move it in and out and turn it round to get to all 4 wheels. Sorry no pics of the car in the garage, but it was β€œtight”.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Yes had mine in a regular garage for 27 years until it was recently sold. It just fitted in but it was not possible to get into the passenger door and the drivers door was a bit of a squeeze but possible.

Thank you for the information.
Sounds much like what I had to do with my C6 in a car port.
Good to know, thank you. πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
A good tip for parking your pride and joy in a tight garage is to suspend a tennis ball on a length of string from a roof truss at the point where it touches the windscreen with a bit of clearance between the nose and the wall if driving in forwards , or rear screen if reversing in . Much more user friendly than a bit of carpet fixed to the wall . No damage to bodywork if you get it wrong ! :)

Roscobbc

A good tip for parking your pride and joy in a tight garage is to suspend a tennis ball on a length of string from a roof truss at the point where it touches the windscreen with a bit of clearance between the nose and the wall if driving in forwards , or rear screen if reversing in . Much more user friendly than a bit of carpet fixed to the wall . No damage to bodywork if you get it wrong ! :)
Do as Chuffer suggests for gauging length of vehicle - if width is 'tight' (and you're happy to access car from passenger door) then use an additional tennis ball (or same one re-aligned with l/h side of windscreen frame) to place the car as far to the left as possible.

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Another tip: When you can only open the door a limited amount it is five thousand million times easier to get in and out with the window down and the roof off.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Another tip: When you can only open the door a limited amount it is five thousand million times easier to get in and out with the window down and the roof off.
OK if you have manual wind up windows , but if power windows you will be hard pressed to reach in to the centre console switch ! Or have to leave window open . :cautious:

Oneball

CCCUK Member

Just remember there might be t bar there. I keep thinking mines a convertible and whacking my head.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Internal width of container is 2350 mm. So 2" under 8'. Chrome bumper Vette is 1758 mm wide (69"). So it will fit but you'll probably need to step out of T Roof (rather than door) or push/pull the car in. No different to many local authority lock-ups - I've used 8' wide lock-ups before with other American cars.
Thanks for those details. Its interesting to see that a shipping container is bigger than my current council garage I have to park my C3 in (1968) until the solicitors pull their fingers out and I can finally move house.

I can say that getting out of a C3 in such a tiny space does require a lot of moaning, joint pain, and mostly swearing where you try ever so hard but end up banging the door AGAIN on the garage wall.