Questions About Owning A C3 In The UK?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I can say that getting out of a C3 in such a tiny space does require a lot of moaning, joint pain, and mostly swearing where you try ever so hard but end up banging the door AGAIN on the garage wall.
You should have Carpet on the wall to protect the door - Preferably Wilton a minimum of 90% Wool

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I can average about 20 to 23 mpg on steady cruising with 3 speed auto and 3.08 : 1 diff , but down to about 15 mpg or less if hooning about :p.So with a 20 gallon on tank a range of about 300 miles is a reasonable guess . But then there is no point worrying about fuel consumption when you run a Corvette

kentvette

CCCUK Member
We just completed a one day round trip of 374 miles. The car used 18.5 gallons, and the MPG came out at 20.2 mpg. I re-fuelled close to our destination (including a pot pf Millers EPS) and again on our return home at our local station. It was down to about half a tank on the gauge on both occasions. It's worth noting that the second half of the tank seems to go a lot quicker than the first!

On long trips I reckon to plan on a re-fuel at around the 250 mile mark, which gives me a nice amount of leeway. In reality, I try not to do more than 300 miles in a day, as more gets a tad tiring.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Kentvette is right about the second half of tank going down more quickly than first half . I thought it was just me getting bored after after about 150 miles and giving it `some beens ` :oops:

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Another question based on an observations...
How many C3 owners carry a fire extinguisher in their C3? :unsure:
I'm seeing them quite often in photos.

More to the point perhaps, how many have had to use them?! :eek:

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
We just completed a one day round trip of 374 miles. The car used 18.5 gallons, and the MPG came out at 20.2 mpg. I re-fuelled close to our destination (including a pot pf Millers EPS) and again on our return home at our local station. It was down to about half a tank on the gauge on both occasions. It's worth noting that the second half of the tank seems to go a lot quicker than the first!

On long trips I reckon to plan on a re-fuel at around the 250 mile mark, which gives me a nice amount of leeway. In reality, I try not to do more than 300 miles in a day, as more gets a tad tiring.
374 miles in one day in a C3 - seriously impressed Steve(y)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

I always carry one quickly accessible in a carrier behing derivers seat in case I have to bail out in a hurry . An absolute must in a plastic car :eek:

Roscobbc

Thanks for those details. Its interesting to see that a shipping container is bigger than my current council garage I have to park my C3 in (1968) until the solicitors pull their fingers out and I can finally move house.

I can say that getting out of a C3 in such a tiny space does require a lot of moaning, joint pain, and mostly swearing where you try ever so hard but end up banging the door AGAIN on the garage wall.
Perhaps the answer is to invest in one of those roof hoists you can get for some of those cars like Merc's with really heavy removable hard tops - fix it to the garage roof and using some form of strapping to sit in - simply lift and lower yourself through the convertible or T roof aperture a bit like one of those air/sea helicopter rescue operations.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Perhaps the answer is to invest in one of those roof hoists you can get for some of those cars like Merc's with really heavy removable hard tops - fix it to the garage roof and using some form of strapping to sit in - simply lift and lower yourself through the convertible or T roof aperture a bit like one of those air/sea helicopter rescue operations.
The better solution is the one I'm currently investing in, and would have already if it weren't for the silly-icitors that have been VERY slack with regard to my house purchase (literally taken all year so far and still no sign of it completing). Large double garage coming up soon - the horrid council garage will fingers crossed soon be dispensed with and quickly forgotten. It is a necessary evil after all - either cramped garage, or leaving it out in the rain etc. :(

kentvette

CCCUK Member
374 miles in one day in a C3 - seriously impressed Steve(y)

To be fair, we did have a 6 hour break mid way, as we were at Magny Cours:) But we've done 300 or so straight off on a number of occasions, especially since living here - better roads and less traffic! But, we did take it to Cornwall back in 2000 - that was 310 miles, with a stop for fuel and it took 5 hours.

kentvette

CCCUK Member

Yes, we've carried one since we had the car, (not the same one!) based on advice at purchase. It's not fixed in, just in the rear compartment. It also gave us a few extra "brownie points" when we had the car valued for insurance.