Roadtrip.

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
Heading off this morning with all fingers crossed, a handful of spares and some tools in the trunk well. Will try and post a few pics nd report on the cars (hopefully flawless) performance.
Portsmouth, St Malo, La Rochelle first.
"Est que vous avez un tow rope sil vous plait mate?"

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
H
Heading off this morning with all fingers crossed, a handful of spares and some tools in the trunk well. Will try and post a few pics nd report on the cars (hopefully flawless) performance.
Portsmouth, St Malo, La Rochelle first.
"Est que vous avez un tow rope sil vous plait mate?"
Have an epic trip, lovely down that coast, did it in 88 in a landrover , crossed the girande nr royan , hot summer evenings watching the fireflies. Great memories , the vette will draw crowds everywhere . Have fun 👍

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Your C5’s a nice modern car, and should be able to complete your trip without any problems at all. Have a pleasant enjoyable time.

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
Well she got us 280 miles south of St Malo for a stop-over in Mortagne-sur-Gironde without missing a beat, gets a lit of attention when we stop, especially when the wife's driving it. Managed to do about a hundred miles with the roof down and some sun beating down. About 410 miles so far and used about a tank and a half. My Camaro would be on its third fill by now.20210831_164143.jpg20210831_162559.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
We are not jealous , not a bit , we`re not , honestly we`re not !!! :unsure: :sick: I have had some great drives and holidays down the Brittany coast and just love it . Enjoy ! (y)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s the benefit of technology/engineering in modern American cars. MUCH better MPG. Took the old 65 to Juan les pins in the late 90’s, got there and back without any problem. It was a very enjoyable trip. I enjoyed it, my wallet didn’t. Wouldn’t like to do it nowadays with the price of gas.

Last edited:

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
638 miles gone, St Jean Pied -de port in the Pyrenees for a couple of nights. Beer for me and fuel for the yellow steed. No issues apart from a proliferation of sleeping policemen and a v slight noise from a hub, I'm thinking wheel bearing maybe on the way out.20210901_180047.jpg20210901_174524.jpg20210901_174555.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
638 miles gone, St Jean Pied -de port in the Pyrenees for a couple of nights. Beer for me and fuel for the yellow steed. No issues apart from a proliferation of sleeping policemen and a v slight noise from a hub, I'm thinking wheel bearing maybe on the way out.View attachment 13228View attachment 13229View attachment 13230
I think you will find they are called Gendarmerie Sommiel over there ! :ROFLMAO: Hope they haven`t buggered up a wheel bearing ! Good luck and have lots of fun . It`s been years since I drove over the Pyrenees but remember the stunning scenery .

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I think you will find they are called Gendarmerie Sommiel over there ! :ROFLMAO: Hope they haven`t buggered up a wheel bearing ! Good luck and have lots of fun . It`s been years since I drove over the Pyrenees but remember the stunning scenery .
"Ralentisseurs", and they are an increasing pain in villages and towns! It means that unless we are desperate to see a particular stretch on picturesque road, we take the autoroute! Then turn off it when we're closer to the destination... The route for our up-coming Alps trip has been carefully planned to allow sightseeing, but avoiding multi-villages!

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
"Ralentisseurs", and they are an increasing pain in villages and towns! It means that unless we are desperate to see a particular stretch on picturesque road, we take the autoroute! Then turn off it when we're closer to the destination... The route for our up-coming Alps trip has been carefully planned to allow sightseeing, but avoiding multi-villages!
We did the Alps down to Florence over the St Bernard Pass back in 2017 in my Camaro - awesome sights and roads. Best drive of my life, even better than Route 66 or Pacific Coast Highway ( my other faves) TBH the speedbumps if taken slowly ain't an issue; I just got to educate Madame on it...

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
Can recommend Annecy and Aosta as start - finish places for an Alpine Crossing, found some great little hotels.FB_IMG_1608309190128.jpg

kentvette

CCCUK Member
We drove down to Annecy in September 2019, not in the Corvette though. We actually stayed here for four nights, Menton, just down the lake.
IMG_6835.JPG
Some wonderful driving on the well known Tour de France routes east of Annecy. Then over to Montreaux, for the paddle steamers and to pay our respects to Freddie....
IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

I meant to say that if you'd gone due west from St Jean Pied-de-Port you come to a fab little restaurant/shop on the Spanish border, on a pass where you can look down on the Griffon Vultures - wonderful!

Keep the photos coming!