So I enquired on a 1977 in the USA...

Alben78

Well-known user
That cars rusting from the bottom up, that’s why the exhaust and the brake calipers have been replaced, they have already rotted away. The car was originally from Detroit where they use a lot of road treatment in the winter resulting in the rust worm. I would be very wary about a car with that level of corrosion on the underside. You are looking at a body off job to treat it properly. Do you have the time, expertise, space and tools to do that sort of job. Just removing the body from the chassis with that level of corrosion is a job in itself. Potentially it could turn into a money pit. Look around the UK, there are cars better than this one at good prices.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
That cars rusting from the bottom up, that’s why the exhaust and the brake calipers have been replaced, they have already rotted away. The car was originally from Detroit where they use a lot of road treatment in the winter resulting in the rust worm. I would be very wary about a car with that level of corrosion on the underside. You are looking at a body off job to treat it properly. Do you have the time, expertise, space and tools to do that sort of job. Just removing the body from the chassis with that level of corrosion is a job in itself. Potentially it could turn into a money pit. Look around the UK, there are cars better than this one at good prices.
Seconded 👍 cant see you being happy when you got a proper look. even if its ok you have no way of knowing til its here so it is too big a gamble imho . 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Seconded 👍 cant see you being happy when you got a proper look. even if its ok you have no way of knowing til its here so it is too big a gamble imho . 👍

I would never buy a car unseen and would even be sceptical about relying on an ` independent` inspection . I know lots of people do but too risky if I was parting with my hared earned .:cautious:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I would never buy a car unseen and would even be sceptical about relying on an ` independent` inspection . I know lots of people do but too risky if I was parting with my hared earned .:cautious:
As you know I have just done it , cant believe I ever would have , I was just lucky to stumble across a particular car and a particular vendor at a particular time. Had looked at so many over here and never quite bought one. Ended well but could have ended differently 😱

Attachments

• 7616E661-38EB-448C-9D2B-3A4AA7D7E2E1.jpeg
    7616E661-38EB-448C-9D2B-3A4AA7D7E2E1.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1C990541-23C1-4E60-BACD-337A27AF6FA9.jpeg
    1C990541-23C1-4E60-BACD-337A27AF6FA9.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 18

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yeah , you were one of the lucky ones and very glad it all worked well for you (y)

PS . Thought you would be out ` Hanging Ten` and catching some Atlantic surf in the storm today :LOL:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yeah , you were one of the lucky ones and very glad it all worked well for you (y)

PS . Thought you would be out ` Hanging Ten` and catching some Atlantic surf in the storm today :LOL:
I was out in the storm but in devon collecting 3 vintage motorcycles for bonhams , hasnt stopped raining all day. 💦

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Over the years I have bought many many cars from the USA sight unseen, and apart from a 1972 Mustang Convertible have never had any major issues. Some might say I’ve been lucky. As most of you are aware the states does not have a MOT. Cars are driven until the break, and then the owner fixes them. They put up with fluid leaks as top up fluids is cheap compared to getting it fixed properly. Of course like here some owners are fanatics and very particular about their cars so everything is done right. But without a annual inspection many things are not even noticed. On the aforementioned Mustang the floor was terrible, but the owner probably did not know. The first he would know about it would have been when the floor fell out while he was in it, and he’s sitting on the road. Professional inspections are available and are fantastic. They are all licensed, insured and bonded . They give a totally independent appraisal of the car, list all faults. The last one I had done was on my 1957 thunderbird. It took the best part of a day. About 150 pictures and a book size report. I was very happy with the service I received. If they had misinformed me, I could sue them. The internet has made importing soo much easier than it was in the 70’s 80’s 90’s.
And let’s not forget C3 corvettes are bloody old cars now. ( even C4’s are ancient now) We had them when they were new, there now antiques. Say that 77 car, it’s now 44 years old. In 1977 it would be like buying a car from 1933.

Brightgreenmeanmachine

Well-known user
The actual spelling is Dromey Corvettes, you'd need to contact Adrian.
Adrian is just down the road from me and although weve not met yet , he has been a real help on the phone and we are due to meet at some point.

As a total novice Corvette buyer i did a little bit of home work and then went to see my car, my main point to look at was the bird cage and it looked solid. Look at my post ref the restoration and you will see we have just took the body off and like i had hoped the cage is beautiful. I am going over the top with my build now as i have a team of guys who want this to be the best C3 out there when its done, but that comes at a price!. My advice (if its worth anything) is to defo try and see a car first and take someone who knows about them! Good luck dude..

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Over the years I have bought many many cars from the USA sight unseen, and apart from a 1972 Mustang Convertible have never had any major issues. Some might say I’ve been lucky. As most of you are aware the states does not have a MOT. Cars are driven until the break, and then the owner fixes them. They put up with fluid leaks as top up fluids is cheap compared to getting it fixed properly. Of course like here some owners are fanatics and very particular about their cars so everything is done right. But without a annual inspection many things are not even noticed. On the aforementioned Mustang the floor was terrible, but the owner probably did not know. The first he would know about it would have been when the floor fell out while he was in it, and he’s sitting on the road. Professional inspections are available and are fantastic. They are all licensed, insured and bonded . They give a totally independent appraisal of the car, list all faults. The last one I had done was on my 1957 thunderbird. It took the best part of a day. About 150 pictures and a book size report. I was very happy with the service I received. If they had misinformed me, I could sue them. The internet has made importing soo much easier than it was in the 70’s 80’s 90’s.
And let’s not forget C3 corvettes are bloody old cars now. ( even C4’s are ancient now) We had them when they were new, there now antiques. Say that 77 car, it’s now 44 years old. In 1977 it would be like buying a car from 1933.
Jeepers , when you put it like that 77/33 it brings home the age. 😱

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Some very interesting old bikes and the Penny Farthing always struck me as the oddest way to get about on two wheels . :rolleyes:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Indeed. It makes me feel so bloody old. Our neighbour worked for Lendrum and Hartman ( main GM importer) I remember when he bought home a new 1974 model. Looked so much more modern than the 1973 model he bought home the previous day.

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
Well done Jamesvette, I must say, having sourced and imported one myself, it does add an extra dimension of satisfaction and makes the car extra special. Buying blind was , once I decided to go with it , was a better option for me as I couldnt talk myself out of it as I had done on several occasions over here . I was less stressed and had almost zero reservations over buying from the states. Only thing I would say is to more than double any time frames given by the shippers .also I had the good fortune to reply to the ad posted by a lifelong vette enthusiast who has become a friend who I can call with any queries and he will run through them . We have all heard horror stories of mis described cars etc etc but go with your gut feeling , obviously backed up by pictures and history and go for it if you feel happy. Good luck, hope you clinch the deal, look forward to some pics. 😁👍
Exactly my findings too. I bought blind as it felt right, am now friends with the seller and the shipping took twice as long as estimated.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I'd like to see a Penny Farthing restomod with side pipes.
They will be sold at Bonhams motorcycles dept which is now at Bicester heritage. I will take them up on tuesday. Earlier this year when I dropped some off they had a 72 sunflower yellow big block for sale estimate at 26 to 32k interior not a nice place to be . Not sure what it made
ha ha , Steampunk 🤣

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
They will be sold at Bonhams motorcycles dept which is now at Bicester heritage. I will take them up on tuesday. Earlier this year when I dropped some off they had a 72 sunflower yellow big block for sale estimate at 26 to 32k interior not a nice place to be . Not sure what it made

ha ha , Steampunk 🤣

Bicester is only a short drive from me , pity we can`t meet up due to Covid :(