Something for big block owners?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
With tesla and other electric car owner’s installing their own chargers I wondered if any big block owners could avoid “range anxiety” by having a pump of their very own installed at home! 😂👍
Moved this one yesterday from the museum in Truro where they did not want to display it. We suggested it went on loan where it could be enjoyed by the public , ( a bit like the chinese panda’s)
So it now stands in the “Memories” cafe and museum at the Hawkins Motors Dealership nr St. Austell, Cornwall. A great stop if you are into vintage british bikes, with aprox 50 on display.

Attachments

• 68FB898F-76A7-4692-9110-7288C4EFBFF8.jpeg
    68FB898F-76A7-4692-9110-7288C4EFBFF8.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 11
  • E60ECA70-0C7E-4B98-B56A-9167C2FF7006.jpeg
    E60ECA70-0C7E-4B98-B56A-9167C2FF7006.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 11

Roscobbc

Perhaps 'us' big block owners could individually buy our own fuel bowsers and fit a tow bar to the rear of the car.
1000 litres - chould be good for a 2500 mile journey
Towable-Fuel-Bowser-For-Sale.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
As a small block owner, I don't have those problems - knowing I can do about 10 miles more than the big blocks owners just cures my range anxiety and confirms I bought the right car.....

... who am I kidding? I want a big block :ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

As a small block owner, I don't have those problems - knowing I can do about 10 miles more than the big blocks owners just cures my range anxiety and confirms I bought the right car.....

There's an old saying, something like "you might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb", meaning (in our case) irrepective of what you drive, whether a Corvette or 120 mpg Honda Cub.......its all seriously expensive pro rata . I just don't get the logic of someone prepared to drive, say a small block C3 with typical mpg figures of perhaps 17-20 mpg but afaid to run a big block with 'slightly' worse fuel consumption (typically 12-15 mpg). OK so the big block car will use maybe 6/7 gallons for 100 miles (30-32 litres) costing perhaps £50. The small block car should be better on fuel economy (unless a HiPo version) so the small block car will possibly use 5 gallons (22-24 litres) at about £40, perhaps less........?
How ever you look at, small block or big block its expensive to use. OK, the logicists of a big block car on longer multi-hundred mile trips and the amount of fuel being used is staggering.............

Last edited:

richie500

CCCUK Member

What I find really funny is the Small block is 5.7 litres which in the real world is not small, but as most women say size matters so you cant beat a big block

Roscobbc

The 'old school' name used for SBC's was 'mouse motors'. Big blocks were 'rat motors'. Anything larger than 500 cu in's was sometimes referred to as an 'elephant motor'......doesn't have the same 'ring' to it does it?........I'm guessing in todays world that terminology would relate to those 572 and 632 cubic inch monsters.

richie500

CCCUK Member
The 'old school' name used for SBC's was 'mouse motors'. Big blocks were 'rat motors'. Anything larger than 500 cu in's was sometimes referred to as an 'elephant motor'......doesn't have the same 'ring' to it does it?........I'm guessing in todays world that terminology would relate to those 572 and 632 cubic inch monsters.
so your 11" short of being an elephant :)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
What I find really funny is the Small block is 5.7 litres which in the real world is not small, but as most women say size matters so you cant beat a big block
Worse ... mine is only a "tiny" 5.4 litre :eek:

And yes Ros, I agree about the MPG thing. It really doesn't bother me at all, it is what it is. If I had a big block I'd still use it the same amount as my small block and wouldn't care about fuel usage. We don't buy these cars to be concerned about petrol mileage.

Roscobbc

Worse ... mine is only a "tiny" 5.4 litre :eek:

And yes Ros, I agree about the MPG thing. It really doesn't bother me at all, it is what it is. If I had a big block I'd still use it the same amount as my small block and wouldn't care about fuel usage. We don't buy these cars to be concerned about petrol mileage.
Capt........your 'humble' 327 cu in's makes the same rated HP as the 350 cu in 'upgrades' a year later........go back a few years earlier and you could buy a 327 C2 Vette rated at 365 hp........with similar to big block economy.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Capt........your 'humble' 327 cu in's makes the same rated HP as the 350 cu in 'upgrades' a year later........go back a few years earlier and you could buy a 327 C2 Vette rated at 365 hp........with similar to big block economy.
Yeah, its a shame they didn't carry over that hi-po small blocks with the fuelie setup into the C3. Then I could at least pretend I had a big block by the fact it had the same economy :ROFLMAO:

But seriously though, I'm super happy with my 327. Its rare, and with less power I'm less likely to kill myself. I mostly just cruise around in it.... TeamZR1 may be ready to call me a waxer but that wouldn't be accurate - I hate cleaning cars :eek::ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

Yeah, its a shame they didn't carry over that hi-po small blocks with the fuelie setup into the C3. Then I could at least pretend I had a big block by the fact it had the same economy :ROFLMAO:

But seriously though, I'm super happy with my 327. Its rare, and with less power I'm less likely to kill myself. I mostly just cruise around in it.... TeamZR1 may be ready to call me a waxer but that wouldn't be accurate - I hate cleaning cars :eek::ROFLMAO:
I hate washing and cleaning cars - it does my back-in. Washed my daily driver yesterday (only for the second time since buying it in June last year) - its previous wash was a few weeks after buying it later in June last year when giving the Vette a rare wash.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve always liked cleaning cars, ever since I was a toddler. In those days I was only allowed to clean the wheels, but obviously enjoyed myself playing with the soapy water. Can’t remember when dad allowed me to touch the bodywork.
Still enjoy it today. I wouldn’t consider myself a “water” tho, just like a clean car. That’s why silver cars are great, they just don’t show the dirt. My daily is now black, and not having had a black car since 1978 I had forgotten how hard they are to keep clean, and when they are dirty they look terrible.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My friends 5:6 Nissan Titan does 15mpg on its run from Miami to Atlanta. 750 miles each way. Bloody eye watering. Our other friends Toyota Tundra isn’t much better. Last time I borrowed it, I cried. 😂