Stolen Stingrays

Roscobbc

Just had a notification through Member Mojo following an alert from a Surrey Member who 'nearly' had his C3 stolen. Seemingly the Met Police told the Surrey Member that three 'Stingrays' had been stolen within one week and quoted the following "if your car is parked on the street or in a garage it will almost certainly be stolen". Whether that is an 'exaggeration' or a misquote from the Met and/or a generalisation about all Corvettes being described as 'Stingrays' the club needs to substantiate the remarks on behalf of our members. Can we please find out more information bearing in mind that if a gang is targeting Corvettes in London and the South East we need to be sure of alerting all CCCUK members living in London's central and outer postal districts and perhaps check whether our member database could been comprimised giving thieves a 'virtual' shopping list. Tilbury docks is only 20 minutes or so from Central London and a containerised vehicle can be out of the country within an hour or two and in Eastern Europe or North Africa a couple of days later........effectively lost for ever......

Last edited:

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Just had a notification through Member Mojo following an alert from a Surrey Member who 'nearly' had his C3 stolen. Seemingly the Met Police told the Surrey Member that three 'Stingrays' had been stolen within one week and quoted the following "if your car is parked on the street or in a garage it will almost certainly be stolen". Whether that is an 'exaggeration' or a misquote from the Met and/or a generalisation about all Corvettes being described as 'Stingrays' the club needs to substantiate the remarks on behalf of our members. Can we please find out more information bearing in mind that if a gang is targeting Corvettes in London and the South East we need to be sure of alerting all CCCUK members living in London's central and outer postal districts and perhaps check whether our member database could been comprimised giving thieves a 'virtual' shopping list. Tilbury docks is only 20 minutes or so from Central London and a containerised vehicle can be out of the country within an hour or two and in Eastern Europe or North Africa a couple of days later........effectively lost for ever......
This whole situation is suspicious. Everyone should have security cameras with motion sensors by now.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Seemingly the Met Police told the Surrey Member that three 'Stingrays' had been stolen within one week and quoted the following "if your car is parked on the street or in a garage it will almost certainly be stolen".
Indeed, I thought the same when I received the email - a very strange remark if made? :unsure:
Hopefully clarity will follow.

Dazaa

Well-known user
Very worrying news and some clarification about how they are being taken would be nice. Lifted on a flatbed or locks broken and driven away? Also very odd cars to steal.

Roscobbc

Very worrying news and some clarification about how they are being taken would be nice. Lifted on a flatbed or locks broken and driven away? Also very odd cars to steal.
Perhaps not so odd if going over to East Europe (and that's where most written-off cars seem to dissappear to - only to return perhaps as immaculate vehicles.....?

Dazaa

Well-known user
Perhaps. I’m half tempted to pull the wheels off mine and leave it on concrete blocks for now. Also cant find any posts online about the other 3 that have apparently been stolen which is a little strange

Roscobbc

I'm hoping our committee will take this seriously - over the last few years there has been a gradual increase in the theft of classic cars - initially rarer UK manufactured Ford's and similar vehicles but also increasingly less valuable cars that perhaps end-up on the Banger circuits. It seems more recently any classic vehicle, car, truck, or bike is at risk. Corvettes too conspicuous to be stolen? Perhaps not........

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Just had a notification through Member Mojo following an alert from a Surrey Member who 'nearly' had his C3 stolen. Seemingly the Met Police told the Surrey Member that three 'Stingrays' had been stolen within one week and quoted the following "if your car is parked on the street or in a garage it will almost certainly be stolen". Whether that is an 'exaggeration' or a misquote from the Met and/or a generalisation about all Corvettes being described as 'Stingrays' the club needs to substantiate the remarks on behalf of our members.
Ross, my Member Mojo email says that Met saying " four Corvettes had been stolen this last week, 3 of them being Stingrays, in London." So potentially all Corvettes at risk, not just "Stingrays"?

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Irrespective of how many Vettes have been supposedly stolen we are still only seeing third person and unqualfied information. I would like to see this report ratified by the committee investigating reports further. If the report of the stolen cars is correct we will need to know with a degree of urgency if the victims of the supposed thefts are A. All CCCUK members. B. Only Facebook members. C. Thefts in a specific locality D. specific marques or years of Vettes. Presuming of course the information we have received is accurate.

Coffeeboy

Well-known user
At least we have had a heads up about a potential problem we had a run of bmw i drives being nicked around us 2 years ago my mate opposite had his taken car alarmed and outside lights but we don’t have street lights around here

Roscobbc

Sad thing is that it's a really nasty world 'out there' and we can't simply rely on our police preventing criminals nicking cars and stuff (or apprehending the thieves and returning stolen items) How often do you see illegal stuff going-on out on the street with the police seemingly turning a blind eye? Their response all too often unfortunately is not preventative but simply to tell us to make sure we are adequately insured.......

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sad thing is that it's a really nasty world 'out there' and we can't simply rely on our police preventing criminals nicking cars and stuff (or apprehending the thieves and returning stolen items) How often do you see illegal stuff going-on out on the street with the police seemingly turning a blind eye? Their response all too often unfortunately is not preventative but simply to tell us to make sure we are adequately insured.......
Unfortunately all too true . Years of under funding , to much red tape and paper and to much political correctness ahs completely neutered our police force ! :mad: Bring back the days when the local beat bobby slapped you round the head if you were misbehaving ?

Coffeeboy

Well-known user
I’m glad to say they caught the scumbags doing the BMWs round here they traced 80 i drives back to them !!! My mates bmw was 9 months old and it was over &12k to repair it if I remember right as they smashed the dash and consol out of it the police said they get around £300/£500 for each one !! Was a bit up and down as the insurance were going to write it off at first due to them cutting all the wires