Thoughts on high mileage Vette's?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hi John
Make sure you ask them if the PCM has been tuned for the header mods and the tranny and if so do they know if the tuner locked the PCM ?
Also ask about how old the 2 front O2 sensors are or about how many miles on them as long tube headers make the exhaust hotter and that limits the life of the front O2s.

Moreover, I suggest you get a OBD-II scanner as that will tell us once you have the car if because of the headers that the engine is running too lean or tripping DTCs because of it (error codes)

Here is one that uses Bluetooth, and comes with an APP to work with a cellphone that has Bluetooth and also software to work on a laptop that also has Bluetooth
Here is one at Amazon, $119 US

OBDLINK MX+ Scanner

This OBD-II scanner tool allows you to drive the car, and it records all engine and tranny PIDs (parameters) and then saves it as a file that
you could email to me and I can analyze the data and make a report on all I see, or you replay the recording and see how engine or tranny is functioning and you will learn a lot of how these newer Corvettes function

2005 being first year of C6 has odd makeup as changes were done in 2007 as to engine tranny, etc

Stingray

CCCUK Member
He also mentioned that the C6 6 speed auto on a 2005 model is more reliable than the 4 speed 2005 and he was quite lucky to find a 6 speed on a 55 plate car. 4-speed models were evidently only made for 1 year as were unreliable?
I very much doubt there were any reliability issues. The 4-speed transmission had been used in C5 and various other GM vehicles before the strengthened version was adopted for the earliest C6 cars - strengthened to ensure ability to cope with 400 lb ft from the LS2 engine.