Tyres for '74 L48?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Not just old tyres. My newish daily driver with 4k miles had its first service the other day and front nearside inner side wall had a swelling, no not that kind!!! That and a few scuffs looks like pothole damage which is all too common in East Sussex. Outside edges looked great so must remember to check inner walls in future.
Straddling speed humps ( the cushion type ) is a sure fire way of damaging the inside walls of tyres especially as most local authorities are woefully negligent in maintaining them . The bevel edges break up causing even more tyre damage :mad:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Last week I walked past a car stopped at the side of the road with punctures to both front and rear nearside tyres. Not only punctures, but a big chunk of alloy had been smashed out of both wheels. They may have hit something in the road perhaps. It looked like an expensive repair bill.

It's curious that over the years wheel diameters have got larger and tyre profiles lower on most road cars, but as we know they're much more likely to suffer damage from potholes, kerbs and other furniture on our roads. That theoretically makes them more dangerous than deeper profile tyres, but manufacturers are happy to follow this trend. Low profile tyres can improve handling and responsiveness and allow bigger brakes - true. However the ultimate performance cars in terms of handling and cornering - Formula One - contradict this because they still use a very deep section tyre on a 13" rim. They have deeper section tyres than rally cars! F1 is planning to move to an 18' wheel but one reason the tyre supplier has resisted this is because it leaves less area of sidewall for "Pirelli" lettering - so has advertising implications!! (F1 is all about advertising) So for our daily drivers it can only be a case of style and looks prevailing over practicality. F1 drivers will need to give the kerbs much more respect when they move to 18" wheels.

Roscobbc

With more and more newer vehicles using 17" and 18" wheels of 55% and lower profiles with wider sections of 205, 225 wider - coupled with featuring far lower ground clearance - its all too easy to overlook any severe tyre wear on the inside edges of rear tyres (no excuses with fronts which are easily visible).

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
So chaps...….got the Vette back from the paint shop after the blow out....excellent job....very pleased.
However....finally had new Galaxy 235/70 R15 fitted on spare......and realised why most people buy 225/70.......235 wont fit in spare wheel holder!.....Bugger!
Anyone got any advice please......or know how I can lay my hands on a correct sized spacesaver?
Thanks.....Gus

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Glad you got your paintwork repaired and happy with it . That was double quick time for Cosmetic Autocare if you did use them . I real bugger that spare tyre won`t fit . Only problem with relying on a can of tyre weld is the tyre is well and truly buggered after using it and needs replacing even if tyre is repairable . I don`t have a choice as having 295 `s on the rear I would need a trailer to cart them about !!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Did your car have 235/70's on it previously then? 225/70 is the stock size originally fitted to these cars. You could look on eBay for a cheap used 225 then put that on your spare as a get-you-home. Keep the new 235 for when (or if) you need it.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Forrest....thanks for the reply.....no it was on 225/70's......just thought I would fit a slightly wider tyre, at minimal extra cost. The wheel fits into the carrier, but it wont quite bolt up.....out by a couple of inches...

What do most other owners do when their vehicles are sometimes fitted with larger tyres…..other than carry a can of tyre inflator?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That sounds more like something is wrong with the fit of the carrier itself. It should accommodate a 255/60 tyre, a lot of C3's have this size tyre also, the reduction to 60 profile keeps the diameter correct. Could the carrier bolts be the wrong length perhaps?

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
The carrier is held by a long threaded nut and bolt arrangement, which I assume is standard [ can't remember what other C3s have?] The diameter isn't a problem. The previous flat and perished spare 225/70 tyre and wheel fitted comfortably in the carrier...….would not have thought that the difference between 225 and 235 would cause this problem?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The later C3s have a space saver wheel and tyre -Scott at Corvette Kingdom may have one for sale - important issue not to forget; is the overall diameter of the tyres should be the same on an axle, in particular the rear due to the diff, so if you have a puncture on a rear and your spare wheel has a different rolling road circumference, use a front wheel to replace the rear wheel with the puncture and put the spare on the front as a temporary measure.
The cans of tyre goo for puncture repairs, may work with a slow puncture, but not if you have a blow out.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Daytona....thanks.
Must admit, I'm not very keen on space savers, for several reasons, and have previously used a couple of cans of tyre weld on a small puncture to quickly move a vehicle, which worked a treat. But my recent, destructive blow-out would have required rather more than a quick squirt of goo to get me home!
I wonder if I can find a way of extending the retaining mechanism a tad?

Roscobbc

My '68 currently has 18" wheels and tyres with different widths front and rear. Have never tried fitting one of the 'fronts' in the carrier, even though its on an 8" rim and the overall diameter is a 'gnats' over stock (27.2" ish) I'm guessing the 'squarer' profile will prevent. Instead a have a 235/60/15 with BFG as a backup. Is there any logic in deflating your tyre - then try and fit it in carrier. Just carry a 12v tyre compressor at all times and inflate as required?

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Roscobbc Thanks for the suggestion, it might be a way out. As the wheel was likely to be a while before it was checked, it was inflated to 35psi...….and when trying to force the spare into it's holder we dropped it's pressure to below @20psi, but it didn't seem to make much difference...

I suppose if it was completely flat it might do the trick, but then a tyre compressor would be just one more piece of kit to carry, with space at a premium, and you can bet your bottom dollar....that when I needed it, I would have left it in the garage!

Roscobbc

Tyre compressors can be so small (and so cheap) and easy to find room to store in car. Things I always carry are - jump leads - power steering fluid - brake fluid - fire extinguisher - tools........

Roscobbc

I bought an AA branded one at my local Texaco garage for a tenner - OK it hasn't got the 'performance' of other larger compressors and takes its time 'filling-up' but in an emergency.......... - its about 4" square takes no room up really.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-06-20 11-42-39.png
    Screenshot from 2020-06-20 11-42-39.png
    604.5 KB · Views: 2

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
The carrier is held by a long threaded nut and bolt arrangement, which I assume is standard [ can't remember what other C3s have?] The diameter isn't a problem. The previous flat and perished spare 225/70 tyre and wheel fitted comfortably in the carrier...….would not have thought that the difference between 225 and 235 would cause this problem

It shouldn't be a problem, like I said a 255 should fit in the carrier okay, so that's puzzling.

Do your bolts look like this? 4.75" shoulder to end. Carrier depth 8.5"
20200620_113631.jpg

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Crikey…..that is certainly compact...…..looks like I need to update the one in my garage!

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Yes Forrest.....that is the same I think. I extended the single one at the rear of the car as far as it would go, but didn't touch the two at the other end of the carrier