Update on my 71 stingray

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Hi guys. I'll be listing my 71 stingray project for sale on ebay soon as I don't have the time or space to actually restore it. Now that I've built up my money I will be looking to buy one that is in show condition once mine is sold. I'm sad to let this one go but excited to get my next stingray that I can enjoy without worrying about doing work on. I have enjoyed this one for a year and a half.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've been away - did you list it in the end and manage to sell it? Hope it all went well, and good luck with the "new" C3 purchase.

I have contemplated selling mine and buying one done up (and with a big block!), but ultimately the devil I now, and I've got myself (danger!) attached to it now as I used it for my wedding, and the wife loves it too. So I slowly do bits to it here and there.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi guys. I'll be listing my 71 stingray project for sale on ebay soon as I don't have the time or space to actually restore it. Now that I've built up my money I will be looking to buy one that is in show condition once mine is sold. I'm sad to let this one go but excited to get my next stingray that I can enjoy without worrying about doing work on. I have enjoyed this one for a year and a half.
Glad to see you are still living the dream james and getting another c3 that needs less work. We all have different levels of ability and knowledge. A lot of folk would have sold it and never risked getting another old vette as long as they lived. Better we recognise our limitations and buy a car to suit our own level of skill and resources. I am tackling some jobs and enjoying them and sometimes getting frustrated as having to do them two or three times as I learn . But I know I couldnt cope with the amazing amount of work Tim P is taking on , nothing seems to faze or beat him . So you buying another vette that is all done and only requires servicing and fettling with the odd repair is going to be great for you . Go for it πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
@Mad4slalom well I don't work hard for no reason! πŸ˜‚ I'm not patient enough to wait 3+ years to sort the paint and interior. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
You did right , I looked at over twenty vettes in my forties and never bought one because they were either done and out of my price range or the opposite and needed thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours spent on them. I went for an older body off restoration so at least 90% of it is good ! ( he said as he just ordered another part required )! πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ˜†πŸ‘

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
@CaptainK it's on ebay right now thank you. Why not have 2 stingrays?
Because I only have a double garage and the Vette lives on one side of it, and my FTO on the other side. The FTO I've had for 19 years now, and though it looks a bit beat up I just can't bring myself to sell it. Handily its worth bugger all, so I can practice car fixing stuff on it and if I break it - meh.

In all seriousness though, I don't drive much nowadays and having a third car would just be a waste. I sold my daily driver as it just wasn't being used (I don't commute as I work from home).

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I've been contemplating getting a daily driver small muscle car like a 67 firebird instead of getting another stingray just yet. Storage and space is such an issue for me I just don't see the point in having a very non practical 2 seater right now. I hate my banger vw polo and just want it gone so might as well replace with 4 seater practical classic american car and get the stingray in 2 or 3 years time.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I've been contemplating getting a daily driver small muscle car like a 67 firebird instead of getting another stingray just yet. Storage and space is such an issue for me I just don't see the point in having a very non practical 2 seater right now. I hate my banger vw polo and just want it gone so might as well replace with 4 seater practical classic american car and get the stingray in 2 or 3 years time.
I have a 72 stingray project here for sale, it doesnt look much now but once you collect the few missing parts she will be a beaut , open to sensible offers but no low ballers , as I know what I have !!πŸ‘πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£E22943F6-963F-4283-B321-51ED9F04DC5D.jpeg

Roscobbc

That could be the worst choice James......with prices perhaps still undervalued compared with earlier marques you might struggle in the future to source an affordable restored car. An 'old' Firebird will be a can of worms and burn any spare money you'll want to save for another C3. Perhaps be better hanging of to what you have and put money in to that.......kinda depends really as well what you paid for the Corvette I guess?

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Someone has paid the deposit so will probably soon be gone so I will be in the market for a great condition stingray 70-72. Thank you guys.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Something small along these lines James? If the vette does’nt sell at least you can keep it out of the rain in the trunk !!πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘F30F05EF-07C9-41FC-83F8-CE36918007D6.jpeg

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Does anyone know if it's easy to rent a stingray for a week at a time? Because that would save me having to store one.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Someone has paid the deposit so will probably soon be gone so I will be in the market for a great condition stingray 70-72. Thank you guys.
James, have you seen the blue β€˜70 coupe recently advertised on the forum? Looks like it could be what you’re looking for, and a good price too.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here is a perfect fit for James
1972 ZR2 with very shiny bumpers at auction now
They even do loan deals
Starting big 1 cool million bucks :)

1972 Auction

HIGHLIGHTS​

• Previously from the Ed Foss Collection
  • Odometer reads 8,796 miles, the lowest mileage ZR2 known to exist
  • Bloomington Gold Benchmark, Certified and Survivor in 2015
  • NCRS Top Flight Award, 2017
  • MCACN Triple Diamond Award, 2011
  • The Great Hall Inductee, 2011
  • 1 of 12 ZR2 Special Purpose engine packages produced and only 2 convertible ZR2s
  • Unrestored
  • Documented with tank sticker, Protect-O-Plate and dealer shipping order
  • The ZR2s are considered the rarest of big block LS6 Corvettes ever produced
  • These cars were shrouded in mystery, with no pre-production hype, road tests or leaked photographs
  • Based on the famous L88 chassis
  • Each ZR2 is known as β€œZora’s Racer”--named for Zora Arkus-Duntov, lead engineer on the Corvette
  • LS6 454/425 HP engine
  • M22 4-speed close ratio heavy-duty manual transmission
72vette.jpg

antijam

CCCUK Member
From the piccies a very nice looking car, probably one of the best currently on the market James - and it's blue! Very aggressively priced though. Perhaps it's previous 'celebrity' ownership is worth Β£15k?