Update on my 71 stingray

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
From the piccies a very nice looking car, probably one of the best currently on the market James - and it's blue! Very aggressively priced though. Perhaps it's previous 'celebrity' ownership is worth £15k?

Agreed but if it sells to near that it's good for all us C3 bumper cars owners

Roscobbc

I hate these adverts......mentions 'rock crusher gearbox".....really? - if so one would reasonably expect it to have a HO small block......but no mention of engine spec'.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Always wondered why an Ex celebrity owner makes a car work more? Me personally, I wouldn’t pay any more for a car just because X previously owned it.
Back in the late 70’s my ex boss had a 3 litre 911 turbo that used to be owned by john bonham from led zep. He sold it and bought a brand new 3.3. I can see him now driving it ,” over the hills and far away “ 🤣👍(he actually did )

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Back in the late 70’s my ex boss had a 3 litre 911 turbo that used to be owned by john bonham from led zep. He sold it and bought a brand new 3.3. I can see him now driving it ,” over the hills and far away “ 🤣👍(he actually did )
A proper car for a serious rocker.
I remember when they were first launched in 1975 I think. A Greek guy had a bright metallic green one parked in his front garden along Turnpike Lane. At the time I think the car cost more than the house.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
During the 90’s I tried to buy the 1967 or 68 Shelby convertible that Madonna gave to Sean penn as a wedding gift. A dealer ( golden classics) in Clearwater FL had it. We made a good offer, but it was soo overpriced because of who previously owned it. I think it was about $70k over the top because of the Madonna/penn connection. Needless to say we didn’t buy it.
It did look lovely tho in light green poly.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
During the 90’s I tried to buy the 1967 or 68 Shelby convertible that Madonna gave to Sean penn as a wedding gift. A dealer ( golden classics) in Clearwater FL had it. We made a good offer, but it was soo overpriced because of who previously owned it. I think it was about $70k over the top because of the Madonna/penn connection. Needless to say we didn’t buy it.
It did look lovely tho in light green poly.
Agreed but if it sells to near that it's good for all us C3 bumper cars owners
Who was the celeb Who owned the blue “james “ vette ?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Always wondered why an Ex celebrity owner makes a car work more? Me personally, I wouldn’t pay any more for a car just because X previously owned it.
I can`t even stand the term celebrity and hate VIP even more . Drives me mad !! :mad: We are all born equal and die equal, it`s just that some think they are more equal than others .

antijam

CCCUK Member

Many years ago I joined my daughter, who was looking to change her car, on a tour of used car lots in Stroud, Glos. where she lived. She wasn't after anything special, just a small practical second hand saloon. We viewed lots of 'one careful lady owner' rust buckets and I can't now even remember what this particular anonymous car was - possibly a Peugeot or Renault - but when my daughter showed some slight interest the salesman swiftly produced the log book saying 'Check out the name of the first owner!' My daughter wasn't impressed and didn't buy the car - even though the name was that of our present Queen......👑(n)

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It’s like when you see “owned by a doctor” or some other profession. My family is full of medics and I wouldn’t by a car off one of them!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
@Mad4slalom hey man no I haven't seen any good ones come up yet. I'm debating keeping the money to travel to america and canada instead.
Chrome bumper 1968-72 corvettes are making strong money in the US, and the exchange rate of roughly 1 to 1:24 does not help much. Plus shipping has increased quite a bit both overland to port and ocean freight, again priced in Dollars so once again that doesn’t help.
Sorry to be the voice of doom. Happy hunting.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Chrome bumper 1968-72 corvettes are making strong money in the US, and the exchange rate of roughly 1 to 1:24 does not help much. Plus shipping has increased quite a bit both overland to port and ocean freight, again priced in Dollars so once again that doesn’t help.
Sorry to be the voice of doom. Happy hunting.
Not sure if James meant he is considering using the money to purely travel to the us and canada as a visitor as opposed to going there on a vette buying trip , James ? 😁👍.
I still have the contact no of a lady in the USA who arranged the collection of my 72 from Buffalo NY and delivered it to the shipper in new jersey if you are going shopping 👍 have a great trip 😁

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Not sure if James meant he is considering using the money to purely travel to the us and canada as a visitor as opposed to going there on a vette buying trip , James ? 😁👍.
I still have the contact no of a lady in the USA who arranged the collection of my 72 from Buffalo NY and delivered it to the shipper in new jersey if you are going shopping 👍 have a great trip 😁
Just read his post again and yes, it could be he’s just planning to go travelling not buying. Hopefully if he’s just travelling, he might come across a nice car somewhere at a reasonable price.