What Have You Found To Watch?

Roscobbc

Going back many years ago when I had a rumpity rumpity 'cammed' 7 litre Galaxie - when visiting my girlfriend (now wife) in her flat in an East London victorian terrace house she (and the neighbours) would 'feel' me comming up the street from the low frequency vibration that would also cause window and door frames, ornaments and items on shelves to vibrate and move around in unison!
Its true. If I'm out in the Vette on my own, the wife always says something like "I knew you'd be home soon as I could hear your car coming from a few roads away" :cool: :ROFLMAO:

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Yeah everything shakes in the kitchen when its running in the driveway. Obviously these vehicles are not supposed to be on this small island. šŸ˜‚

antijam

CCCUK Member
Years ago when I was using my Daimler SP250 as daily transport my route home from work passed along a long narrow street with tall houses on either side. This was over a mile from home but my wife always knew when to open the gate because our four dogs would suddenly sit to attention - she couldn't hear me but the dogs could.
Although the Daimler V8 is less than half the size of a 350 it has an engine note to make your hair curl and flooring it between the houses was too big a temptation to resist. :)
( I don't think it won me too many friends among the residents though :( )

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Did driver turn off ignition before impact to slow the car?

How about the occupants of the tail-gated vehicle?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Coincidentally, I just watched the full video of that where the presenter reflects back on what happened and how all the signs were there but they didn't notice them at the time. Good video and explains why its a good thing to use the safety belts they had installed, but ignored and used the lap belts, its good to have super fab brakes in a 1300HP car, not small ones that were installed 17 years ago, and its good to check your throttle isn't sticking high causing you to ride your brakes all the time. Oh and it also good to not be a moron and just realise that your car has a problem and pull over instead of continuing to drive it. I mean the guy knew the throttle was sticking, he knew the brakes were old and small, and still drove it...... and probably eventually boiled the brake fluid causing the brakes to stop working, As the presenter in the video said, it would have been good if the car had a lever handbrake as well as a backup instead of relying on the pedal.

I feel people concentrate more on HP than they do stopping that HP. When I got my Vette I was unhappy with my brakes and mine only has 250hp, so they got changed out quickly. The video has reminded me though about the lap belts in my Vette. I do want a good proper 3 point retracting set. Just gotta find some and get someone to install them.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Agree with Capt's comments - I too watched the video and wondered why the driver didn't think about sticking it in reverse.......obviously only an emergency move and tbh not, perhaps a move that would come to you when in an emergency situation with seconds to react. A wrecked auto transmission etc is preferrable to the body damage and personal injuries recieved.
An old car buddy of mine Keith Smith owns the supercharged 'Beast' BBC Jaguar 420 pro street car. A good few years ago at the 'Pod he was taking a run and the gas pedal jammed full open on the 1/4 mile. Fine, one might think - just turn off the ignition etc etc. No it was far worse than that - because he had vacumn brakes with the engine on 'full cha't whether actually running or with the ignition off the inlet system had a good many pounds of positive boost in totally negating the brake booster and brakes........he eventually managed to run it up some banking before the end of the track, damaging the front suspension.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It was odd that he was able to stop the car at the previous set of lights and then a few hundred meters later at the next lights apparently had no brakes at all.

He was trying to do something with the shifter, put it park maybe but seemed to have no effect.

What could you do in that situation??? Try and spin the car perhaps.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
What a couple of muppets. ā€œYeah the throttle is stickingā€. Stop and sort it out ffs. ā€œThe brakes smell hotā€. Stop and sort it out, double ffs. ā€œIā€™m having to ride the brakesā€. Stop and sort it out, triple ffs.

Theyā€™re bloody lucky they didnā€™t kill anyone.

If that happens turn the ignition off and keep pumping the brakes, he just gave up.

A shut off engine will slow you quite significantly. And donā€™t listen to the internet hearsay. Boosted brakes still work without the booster and power steering still works without the power assistance.

antijam

CCCUK Member
PS not once did he mention the other driver/occupants.
Yes, it's hard to imagine they didn't suffer serious injury. If nothing else a classic whiplash scenario.

The ridiculous thing is that the accident had nothing to do with the 1300 HP or even the relatively small brakes. Riding the brakes to restrain a car that the sticking throttle wants to drive at 50mph is eventually going to boil the fluid regardless of how big they are. They could have had exactly the same accident in a car with 200HP. Failure to kill the ignition instead of appearing to shift the transmission into park was a classic example of inexperience and lack of foresight. It's easy to criticise errors made in the heat of the moment, but in a car like that the driver should be on heightened awareness all the time.

Roscobbc

What a couple of muppets. ā€œYeah the throttle is stickingā€. Stop and sort it out ffs. ā€œThe brakes smell hotā€. Stop and sort it out, double ffs. ā€œIā€™m having to ride the brakesā€. Stop and sort it out, triple ffs.

Theyā€™re bloody lucky they didnā€™t kill anyone.

If that happens turn the ignition off and keep pumping the brakes, he just gave up.

A shut off engine will slow you quite significantly. And donā€™t listen to the internet hearsay. Boosted brakes still work without the booster and power steering still works without the power assistance.
Power steering will only work if engine is running, if the engine has 'died' but is still in gear it'll work - even if in drive on an auto the engine should still be turning. What 'kills' the boost with power brakes is continued cadence braking. You'll generally have enough vacuum left for 3 or 4 applications. Not neccesarily so with vacuum boosted brakes on cars with turbo or huffer. It was criminal that the Merc didn't seem to have a emergency brake.