Wheel and tyre opinions

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi, I f one was toying with fitting aftermarket wheels and tyres to a C3 . What are folks views as to the best looking brands and sizes . Have see some polished torque thrusts with wider than stock tyres and 60 series profile . The original turbo vecs are another favorite of mine . Just sometimes I feel they give it a more up to date feel. Any forum owners done this? Pics welcome πŸ‘

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Torqs (I prefer the grey centres) or Vectors or Rallys. Are the only 3 options. I don’t think they look right on anything but 15”

Roscobbc

There are generally fewer options available for older 13", 14" and 15" tyres. Fortunately we are fairly lucky with our cars with a few options on USA manufactured tyres. The issue you will have is finding speed rated tyres. Most 15" tyres suitable for Vettes are only 112 mph speed rated. Galaxy brand have 140 mph rated tyres I believe. I have 18's on mine 'Z' rated - same rolling radius as stock. But you'll need to be careful with these sizes of tyres as the cars the cars that were OEM equipment are perhaps 20 years old or so the manufacturers are starting to withdraw some sizes. Advantages of 17" and larger sized wheels is definately improved handling. Disavantages. Harder, noisier ride. Risk of 'kerbing' damage.
93375656_2743605332414496_3674752547916087296_o.jpg

93375656_2743605332414496_3674752547916087296_o.jpg

Last edited:

Letank

CCCUK Member
15x8 American Racing Torq Thrust II
Go any larger than 15” and you will struggle to get white letter tyres (if they’re your thing!) :cool:.CA7BF7BF-4D98-48E2-B863-66671033317C.jpeg

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Cant see me going over 60 in the car. Had some grey centred t/thrusts on my v8 morris minor project back in the early eighties , they came off a z28 camaro, and i painted a datsun 240 z in teturn for them . Those were the days .
coincidentally the 289 small block ford , C4 autobox and jag irs were bought from a member of this club 41 years ago 😁C6592CC9-2385-4EC0-925A-959351BD5891.png

Letank

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the pic, very nice, are they 70 or 60 profile tyres?
They are actually 235/60’s and were done by the previous owner in the states. However, since the rolling radius is a bit on the small side, when I need to replace them I will probably go 225/70. I have heard that the 255s can rub on earlier cars??

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
They are actually 235/60’s and were done by the previous owner in the states. However, since the rolling radius is a bit on the small side, when I need to replace them I will probably go 225/70. I have heard that the 255s can rub on earlier cars??
Good tip , thank you. Have new tyres on rallyes with rp02 but a change may be on the cards. D40A5744-3A96-49D6-88D6-7FC0EFF02FCF.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Swap the RPO2 caps for rallye centre caps and trim rings and save yourself some money on all new wheels and tyres. You’ll need it for something else soon anyway πŸ˜‚
I have new rings from ck and good centres that came with the car , struggling to fit the rings due to rim wheel weights, need to get to the fitters and re balance with stick on weights inside the wheels. Just that those alloys look so sexy πŸ€£πŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I am in the camp that thinks that 15 inch rims look best on a C3 . I understand the improved handling of larger wheels with low profile tyres but to my mind they don`t look right and with our crap roads , the more rubber between the car and the pot holes the better !DSCF3036.JPGDSCF9436.JPG
I have 15 inch California Convo deep dish split rims .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
They suit that very well, I too think a 60 profile is about the limit, I have never seen the attraction of driving around on cambelts instead of tyres πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
By the way Mad4 , love the Moggy Minor you had (y) All the right in period mods , the Jag rear ends really were the biz back in the day with the custom boys . In the early 70`s I had a mate who did a lovely custom job on a Moggy Minor in Aubergine and a lovely custom interior . It only had a tuned MGB engine but was pretty quick :)

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I am in the camp that thinks that 15 inch rims look best on a C3 . I understand the improved handling of larger wheels with low profile tyres but to my mind they don`t look right and with our crap roads , the more rubber between the car and the pot holes the better !View attachment 8994View attachment 8995
I have 15 inch California Convo deep dish split rims .
The poise of your car looks spot on Chuffer (y). What is the height at the front wheel arch?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
By the way Mad4 , love the Moggy Minor you had (y) All the right in period mods , the Jag rear ends really were the biz back in the day with the custom boys . In the early 70`s I had a mate who did a lovely custom job on a Moggy Minor in Aubergine and a lovely custom interior . It only had a tuned MGB engine but was pretty quick :)
I had a new jago pop chassis modified to suit the minor wheelbase, rob davis , on here with a black 1980 ,had an irs and the 289 out of a 65/ 66 mustang for sale so purchased that . Learnt loads building it , vitesse ifs , one piece steel flip front . Built the exhaust system with 3”” tube and cherry bombs , had to sell it just needing wiring and plumbing as started a paint spraying business and needed equipment and space . Looking forward to meeting rob again post lockdown when We can all get out on some meets .another Rob , the sw club rep kindly put me in touch again . Small world of cars and modding hey. πŸ˜πŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I had a new jago pop chassis modified to suit the minor wheelbase, rob davis , on here with a black 1980 ,had an irs and the 289 out of a 65/ 66 mustang for sale so purchased that . Learnt loads building it , vitesse ifs , one piece steel flip front . Built the exhaust system with 3”” tube and cherry bombs , had to sell it just needing wiring and plumbing as started a paint spraying business and needed equipment and space . Looking forward to meeting rob again post lockdown when We can all get out on some meets .another Rob , the sw club rep kindly put me in touch again . Small world of cars and modding hey. πŸ˜πŸ‘

Wowza ! You are serious customizer then ! (y)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The poise of your car looks spot on Chuffer (y). What is the height at the front wheel arch?
Cheers Forrest Gump :) Can`t say for certain at the moment as the car is in my workshop 9 miles from home , but would estimate about 23 inches to lower lip of front arch .