Wheel and tyre opinions

TimP

CCCUK Member
Torq Thrust II's work for me but I must admit for having a thing for widened steel wheels and so my '72 will have 215/70x15s on Rallye wheels. I fitted Police rims with poverty hub caps on my '70 Plymouth Satellite - wider at the back. Hope I don't get excommunicated for posting a Mopar pic....

Rallye_Wheel.JPG

Plymouth Rear.JPG

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Torq Thrust II's work for me but I must admit for having a thing for widened steel wheels and so my '72 will have 215/70x15s on Rallye wheels. I fitted Police rims with poverty hub caps on my '70 Plymouth Satellite - wider at the back. Hope I don't get excommunicated for posting a Mopar pic....

View attachment 9000

View attachment 9001
Ha ha , I had banded steels painted gold with 225’ dunlops all round on a mk 1 3000GTxlr Capri in 78 . That car felt quick but nothing by todays standards πŸ‘

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
17 inch American Racing Torq Thrust II. I did toy with getting 15 inch and keeping white letter text wheels, but decided to go slightly larger and found that I quite like it without the white letter text. Didn't want to go too large with the wheels, as UK roads not so great. 17 inch wheels is big enough for me.

Letank

CCCUK Member
17 inch American Racing Torq Thrust II. I did toy with getting 15 inch and keeping white letter text wheels, but decided to go slightly larger and found that I quite like it without the white letter text. Didn't want to go too large with the wheels, as UK roads not so great. 17 inch wheels is big enough for me.
View attachment 9021

I think your car looks great. One of the nicest C3’s out there imo. I have toyed with the idea of getting 17 or 18” Torq Thrusts to replace my 15’s but have decided to keep them as they are for now. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it! πŸ˜„

Roscobbc

My '68 with 18" Boyd JYD's
93375656_2743605332414496_3674752547916087296_o.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I think your car looks great. One of the nicest C3’s out there imo. I have toyed with the idea of getting 17 or 18” Torq Thrusts to replace my 15’s but have decided to keep them as they are for now. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it! πŸ˜„
That's very kind of you thanks. But if you got too close to it you'd soon find a few oddities in the paint. But hey, keep it washed and polished and hope no-one notices :D

As for selling my beasty - even if I wanted too, I wouldn't be allowed. The wife loves it as much as me, and we used it as our wedding car. So it has memories attached etc.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
View attachment 9021
Lovely, did you go with a staggered f and r set up ? What width wheels and tyres did you end up with? Available in uk πŸ‘

Redlevel

Well-known user
Stock wheels or Shelby Cal 500 slotmags or maybe Centrelines and no bigger than 15".
Its not an offroader with a lift, so why show off all the braking crap with skinny spokes.. πŸ€”

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Stock wheels or Shelby Cal 500 slotmags or maybe Centrelines and no bigger than 15".
Its not an offroader with a lift, so why show off all the braking crap with skinny spokes.. πŸ€”
Totally agree (y) Just look at the tyres on F1 cars and think on it ! They don`t run on rubber bands because the tyres are a vital component of ride quality and handling .

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Totally agree (y) Just look at the tyres on F1 cars and think on it ! They don`t run on rubber bands because the tyres are a vital component of ride quality and handling .

Casing point that F1 cars, being the fastest cornering and braking machines on the planet achieve that with deep section tyres on 13” rims.

They are actually changing to 18” rims next year, but that’s only to make the tyres visually more aligned to Pirelli’s road car tyre market.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Casing point that F1 cars, being the fastest cornering and braking machines on the planet achieve that with deep section tyres on 13” rims.

They are actually changing to 18” rims next year, but that’s only to make the tyres visually more aligned to Pirelli’s road car tyre market.
Just goes to show that pose value will always outweigh common sense :rolleyes:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Just goes to show that pose value will always outweigh common sense :rolleyes:
Despite the amazing tech in F1 it’s still all about advertising. The change to 18” has a downside in that the brand lettering has to be smaller so less easily visible on tv....FBA508B1-E37E-4EAF-A47A-DC47D78EFEE5.png

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Considering the suspension set up on F1 cars those low profile tyres will surely shake drivers fillings out despite billiard table smooth circuits !

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Lovely, did you go with a staggered f and r set up ? What width wheels and tyres did you end up with? Available in uk πŸ‘
I was asked when I bought them from North Hants Tyres if I wanted bigger tyres at the back for a staggered look, but I went with the same all round. They are normal UK availability 17 inch tyres, good grip and weather ratings etc. That was one of the reasons I ditched the standard 15 inch wheels so I could fit some more modern rubber to it, as I was only finding off road tyres and the white letter text wheels in the 15 inch size I needed (originally 225/70/15 I think). As to the new size now, I must confess I can't remember. I'll try and have a look at them when I'm next at where the Vette is stored. But it basically equates to the same rolling diameter as the original 225/70/15 wheels, but with taking into account 17 inch alloys instead. There are tools online to do size comparisons.