Wheels

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’m a lover of factory wheels on most cars.
The Quick take off wheel as GM called it was/is a beautiful wheel. Introduced in 1964 and finished in 1966. Always been a lover of spinners and the nice chunky ones on the “knock off’s “ was just superb.
At slow speeds ie at a show, the look is great.
IMG_1457.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
When spinners were outlawed by the federal government for the 1967 model year, GM came up with what is widely regarded as the best wheel ever.
The one year only 1967 bolt on. The centre starburst cap is a work of art.
Originals can fetch up to $25k for a set of 5.
IMG_1460.jpeg

antijam

CCCUK Member
When spinners were outlawed by the federal government for the 1967 model year, GM came up with what is widely regarded as the best wheel ever.
The one year only 1967 bolt on. The centre starburst cap is a work of art.
Originals can fetch up to $25k for a set of 5.
View attachment 22383
Those do work so well on the 'Vette.:)(y)

I'm a fan of genuine wire wheels on european sports cars but to my eye they rarely work on american muscle - least of all on something like this...... :poop:

Capture.JPG

Roscobbc

Yep - a mid 60's Iso or similar hi-end sports car looks simply fantastic with 'wires'
k2_items_src_830654fd5d968b7afadb8ca03e3aa03a.jpg

But there again the correct cast ally wheels can also be a 'thing' of art......
1200x-1.jpg

iso-grifo-the-exquisite-italian-grand-tourer-powered-by-american-muscle-165636_1.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
This is another one year/one model only wheel. Styled on the one year only 1967 bolt on, the wheel for the 1982 collector edition was a lovely looking wheel. Once again GM/Chevrolet did a lovely job in creating the centre cover.
IMG_1463.jpeg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I've got a little something for removing / installing spinners in the garage you may have seen an no it's not a hammer. Heading there shortly so will get a pic and I bought it for the name more than anything

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That looks like the German one from old timer tools. Looks like a good bit of kit, a tad expensive tho.

Roscobbc

This is another one year/one model only wheel. Styled on the one year only 1967 bolt on, the wheel for the 1982 collector edition was a lovely looking wheel. Once again GM/Chevrolet did a lovely job in creating the centre cover.
View attachment 22387
That really has to be one of the most beautful wheels ever designed........surprised someone hasn't produced a modern copy in 18, 19 and 20" diameters for use with 'modern' tyres.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
This is my favourite wheel for a C4
Hard to find nowadays and very expensive.
The Callaway corvette Dymag.
IMG_1465.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
And of course, we can’t forget the classic corvette aluminium mag wheel.
Introduced for 1973, but problems with the wheel holding air pulled the plug with only a few sets officially sold.
1976 was its relaunch and it proved a great success. It really is a lovely wheel. So 70’s. Many earlier Corvettes have had these fitted as they look so good. If highly polished they really make the car pop, especially with white lettered tyres.
F03DFD34-53B0-4535-BE75-B4C76656F34B.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Being a fan of spinners on either hubcaps or wheels I’ve bought and fitted a fair few sets of aftermarket spinners and cones for the C3 factory aluminium wheels. Once fitted they look really good.
You can get the spinners either straight ear or swept ear, cones can be either brushed finish or polished.
Look real nice once fitted.
IMG_1462.jpeg

Last edited:

Roscobbc

View attachment 22402

View attachment 22402
Most people are totally unaware that the Dymag wheels are magnesium and manufactured in the UK......and rather expensive! - the one in this image is damaged and irrepairable.