Which Year Variant C3 Did You Buy & Why?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Curious to know...

Did you specifically targeted a particular year variation in your choice of your C3?

Or...
Was it just a love at first sight purchase?

Or...
Did you try a few different year models until you found the perfect combination?

Perhaps it was another reason?

I'm interested to know. 🤔

FB_IMG_1611727447412~2.jpg

Roscobbc

Bought mine off Exhange & Mart sight unseen based on sellers description - had been looking on and off for a mid 70's 350 coupe on and off for a few years without much luck. 30 years ago 'Er indoors was shopping in Tesco or what was Aldi and whilst waiting I was brousing through car mags and E & M and saw my car advertised - immediately phoned and committed myself to buy from the private seller.

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
78 silver anniversary .
I saw a C3 when I was a kid and thought wow(they were a new car back then),I `ve owned various American cars ,hot rods and a street /strip ford 100e.due to work commitments the street strip car got sold as it was n`t getting raced. there was 2 cars I wanted when I was a kid one was a MKII Jaguar the other was a corvette C3,as I`ve worked on a few SBC engines the choice was made . I kept looking on ebay and other adds ,then it occurred to me my mate who lives 2 turnings away from me had a nice silver anniversary .he imported the car and had owned it for 18 months . i walked around to he`s house ,he was n`t planning on selling it. i asked him if I could sit in it as I was thinking about buy one and wanted to see how much of the front of the car I could see from inside the car. next thing I said was how much ,he thought I was joking next thing he knows I bought the car from under him without even a test drive and gave him a large deposit .he`s Mrs said to him what did Dal want and he said he talked me into selling the car ,I don`t know how it happened
I`ve owned the car for 3 years now, he`s owned a coupe of other American cars since but he still likes the C3 he sold me the best

Oneball

CCCUK Member
1969, gives me more options for racing as it can fit into the Sixties. Although having said that if I did it again I’d probably go for an impact bumper convertible, way less money.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
For me it had to be a 78 to 82 C3 as I like the glass back and the benefit of T top so get best of both worlds . Plus the C3 styling was the most faithful shape to the Mako Shark concept car that blew me away as kid ! Set about looking for one after moving on from my Marcos and Jaguar XKR and . Was expecting to get a standard car but was stunned by the looks of my wide bodied modified car when I saw the advert .

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Having owned newer models - C4 when it was current then the same with C5's I still always wanted a chrome bumper Stingray. Walking the field at Stars & Stripes 2015 and approaching my 50th birthday I got talking to the owner of a '72 coupe who had just decided to sell. New tyres to replace the 1977 ones it had and a chambered exhaust made it a properly sorted Corvette. In my research I'd read a lot about the 1970 - 1972 LT-1 and decided to hunt one down and had no luck at all. Expanding my search to the USA I managed to find a '71 that ticked all the boxes and struck a deal. The shipping was a nightmare and I vowed never again having received the car with paint damage from being on the ships deck for nearly four months after I had paid for a single occupancy container. The damage was superficial but still took me 2 months of hand cutting & polishing. The '72 then took a back seat and when getting the MOT done I realised I had only covered 100 miles in 12 months while putting 4k on the LT-1. A mate wanted it bad so off it went. It's currently for sale again at 28 state. On a quiet Thursday morning my CCCUK mag landed on my desk and flicking through the pages BAM another 1971 LT-1 in York. Not moved for 20 years so it was little known and now for sale. It needed a lot of work and that suited me as the red one was 'done' and I wanted something to fettle on. 12 months on it had it's first outing in 21 years and won best classic Corvette at Stars & Stripes.

johng

CCCUK Member
I bought my 78 because it was available at the right price and whilst it needed loads of work (more than I realised at first) it appeared to be structurally sound (that wasn't quite true either):)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I bought my 78 because it was available at the right price and whilst it needed loads of work (more than I realised at first) it appeared to be structurally sound (that wasn't quite true either):)
They invariably do , unfortunately :(

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I bought my 75 in 1980 as a used car rather than an old or classic car. It was a replacement to my stolen 68 Mustang GT Fastback. I had a Ford Capri 2000GT for 2 years between until I could afford another yank tank. I wanted a newish reliable car for my daily driver. Only later did I realise that 75 cars had the lowest factory output of all time. It felt powerful enough for me at the time. I have always loved the look of the car and I don’t know of any car that took on the 5 mph crash bumpers in such a beautiful way. The good side of a 75 is that no one then and possibly now thought that keeping it ‘factory’ would ever make a 75 valuable to collectors. This gives great freedom for ‘restomod’ improvements to all aspects of the cars running gear and engine.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
My wife June & I went to the Chelsea Cruise in 1989 (re-living our separate younger years of 15 years earlier!) with a view to hot-rod-shopping. But, looking around the cars in the park we began to think that a Corvette might be a tad more practical. I'd had a bit of a "thing" about them since parking behind one regularly on South Bank at Brands in the early 70's. My favourite magazine of the time, Street Machine, had an add at the back for Claremont Corvette, only about 5 miles from where we lived, but unknown to us at the time. We went down one week day and spent a few hours vainly trying to get any info out of Tom Falconer- until he realised that maybe we weren't "tyre kickers" an may actually be real buyers!

June fancied a C2 vert he had at the time, but I wasn't so keen. We looked a 74 (I think) convertible that he had, but it was a little more than we wanted to pay. Our '78 was actually for sale in a garage in Maidstone. When I sat in it I realised that it was a lot more comfortable than the earlier C3s - nicer steering wheel, slighter better seats, a proper glove box etc.... It was in our price range, but needed a few things. I knew little or nothing about Corvette mechanicals, so I did a deal with Tom, whereby he bought it, did the jobs, then sold it to us. The price was what we wanted, so we went ahead.

In the meantime I'd discovered the '78 was an "interesting" year, and that the larger rear window gave us a lot more luggage room and a lighter cabin.

Once it was ours it took two weeks of evenings and much of the weekends for me to polish the "pink" car into the red it should be and for June to transform the "light tan" interior to the Oyster that it was! When we called into to Claremont with the refreshed car, Tom realised he may have undercharged us! But he has been a great help over the years.

June is still a fan of the earlier cars, but the '78 shape has "grown" on her. It'll be 31 years in our ownership in April this year, so we must have a liking for it!

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
For me it had to be a 78 to 82 C3 as I like the glass back and the benefit of T top so get best of both worlds . Plus the C3 styling was the most faithful shape to the Mako Shark concept car that blew me away as kid ! Set about looking for one after moving on from my Marcos and Jaguar XKR and . Was expecting to get a standard car but was stunned by the looks of my wide bodied modified car when I saw the advert .
I to was blown away by the looks of the C3 as a kid .a lot of people think the Jaguar E type/XKE is the best looking car made to me the C3 is far more better looking. looking from above the C3 has an hourglass figure like a women`s body

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
As an aside , a friend of mine has owned a 1971 V12 E Type Jaguar from new and is concours condition . 50 years and counting !!

luckyrat

Busy user
Curious to know...

Did you specifically targeted a particular year variation in your choice of your C3?

Or...
Was it just a love at first sight purchase?

Or...
Did you try a few different year models until you found the perfect combination?

Perhaps it was another reason?

I'm interested to know. 🤔

View attachment 9098
Hi all,
New boy here.
Ive recently bought a 1972 Corvette Stingray. Was my dream car since I first saw one aged 15 in 1972.
Now I actually have one it’s more of a nightmare than a dream, but I’m sure you fine people will help me in my quest to get my “dream “ less scary!
Best regards to all
Phil

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi all,
New boy here.
Ive recently bought a 1972 Corvette Stingray. Was my dream car since I first saw one aged 15 in 1972.
Now I actually have one it’s more of a nightmare than a dream, but I’m sure you fine people will help me in my quest to get my “dream “ less scary!
Best regards to all
Phil
Welcome to the party Luckyrat . You are in the right place as there is lots of advice and support within CCCUK . We have all suffered the nightmares to a greater or lesser and I still get haunted by mine at times :eek: But once sorted its big :D all the way .

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Hi all,
New boy here.
Best regards to all
Phil

Welcome Phil!

As Chuffer says, they are almost never all plain sailing, but usually worth the effort!:) By the way, we always like photos......!