Which Year Variant C3 Did You Buy & Why?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I had just split with the then ex-wife and decided I wanted some old school V8 in my life and it had to be Yank. Immediately hit on the C3 Corvette idea as it was smaller and looks fantastic. Looked into the various models and figured I wanted chrome bumpers (so 68 to 72 then), side exhausts, and a manual gearstick. So off I went looking around and found mine in the States and I fell in love.... despite it being a 327 when ideally I wanted a big block, but I couldn't really afford a big block. Yes it was because of the blue colour, and I bought it sight unseen and all that stuff they tell you not to do...... and it turned up months later in the UK and I thought it was awesome...... for about a few weeks until I realised it needed more work than I thought. Hey hum. I love it lots though, as does my new wife and we even used it as our wedding car :)

mickn

CCCUK Member
I bought my 73 mainly because of Ray Groves' (Scott's dad) recommendation. Went to look at the silver one that Scott's mum eventually had and Ray told me of a very sound and original 73 convertible that needed a new nose cone and could do with a respray. Went and looked at it, had someone else look at it for me and he confirmed Ray's opinion so I bought it. If anyone has Tom Falconer's book Original Corvettes 68-82 it's actually the 73 convertible in the book. I must admit I knew very little about the differences between years when I bought it but it's been great in the 18+ years I've had it, only let me down twice, once the battery died and the other was a carburettor problem.

antijam

CCCUK Member
To be honest I wasn't looking for a 'Vette at all. I'd just finished the long term restoration of a couple of other cars and was looking for something else to keep me off the street corners. I had neither the time nor energy for another full scale rebuild and was looking for something roadworthy that I could 'improve' in my own time. I've a weakness for glassfibre cars ( I had a Gilbern Invader Estate for many years and still have a Daimler SP250 ) and had decided that a Reliant SE4 Scimitar GT would be ideal. Scimitar GTE's are a dime a dozen but original and roadworthy GT's are rare and while searching the ads I came across a C3 'Vette for sale. This brought back memories of when they were new and how they'd been my dream car at the time. Having little luck with SE4's I started thinking seriously about a C3. A lot of online research helped me sort out the plethora of models, specs and options and it narrowed down to a chrome bumper manual convertible (the classic look!) I didn't need big block power and I certainly didn't need its weight nor a bulging hood to accommodate it. I really wanted a car that hadn't been 'restored' before but had been reasonably well maintained and needed only the work that could be expected after 50 years - a 'survivor' in other words. Despite the many tempting pictures and prices across the pond I've bought enough old cars to know never to buy unseen, so restricted my search to the UK. C3's are not exactly plentiful over here but certainly more common than Reliant SE4's. I'd zeroed in on '70 to'72 cars as ideal and after viewing a few settled on a green convertible '71 350/270 with manual transmission and power steering and brakes. It had been imported about a year before by a guy who I suspect had rather let his heart rule his head. I think he was bewitched by the looks and rather expected his dream to be exactly as it was in '71. Well of course it looked great in the pictures over in the states but it was a 50 year old car that had had very little done to it over the years. He spent quite a lot of additional cash to rectify some of its shortcomings but I think he realised it was going to need even more and not being a DIY-er he'd decided to pull the plug. It was advertised at a totally unrealistic price to try to recoup his spend but realising that this wasn't getting any bites, agreed to accept my offer well below his asking price. It's been a good buy. The frame and birdcage are sound, it hasn't been too badly attacked by 'Bubba' and slowly bringing it up to the standard I want while still keeping it on the road is giving me pleasure and keeping me occupied - it's had quite a lot of attention during lockdown - and hopefully I'll finish it before the grim reaper calls. :)

Last edited:

Roscobbc

To be honest I wasn't looking for a 'Vette at all. Scimitar GTE's are a dime a dozen but original and roadworthy GT's are rare.
Like you Antijam I wasn't specifically looking for a 427 C3 (20 years ago now) although I had looked a some lesser priced mid 70's small block cars at the time. My interest lay more in the engine. Ideally any car with a manual transmission and a big block engine. I didn't have to be a Chevrolet, anything muscle orinentated but pre '71 emissions. A big block powered Ford was high on the list. Didn't actually ever believe I'd get a 427 Vette - and a C3. Thought they were way out of my league ever since in the late 60's and early 70's driving around West London at weekends and seeing the new muscle cars in Chelsea, Fulham and Notting Hill - all parked on the street. What is it about the UK that 'sensible' enthusiasts would go and buy 'sensible' new UK and European cars like E types, Healeys, Jensens etc and ignored USA sourced cars (except perhaps in West London and similar areas) - perhaps the Brits didn't have the nerve (if well heeled and able to purchase an expensive car) to take a chance on 'one of those tinny, flashy bad-taste American cars?

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
I know this is n`t just about C3`s but it`s a good book and full of information.i bought this about 3 years ago

Attachments

• SAM_6652.JPG
    SAM_6652.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 6