I did mine a few months ago, the bases really easy, the backs i managed to split the first one i did trying to make it perfect which they never are anyway. result was Scott at CK having to order me a single rear cover. was all leather so not cheap. I wanted to do all the interior myself not to save money but just to say ive done it. In the end i got an upholsterer friend to finish them off. Happy with the end result though.Thanks for the tips, everyone. I remember meeting a C3 convertible (silver I think) owner at the annual classic car show on the Western Lawns at Eastbourne a few years back who had done a lot of work on his car and he said that the only thing that he wished he'd got someone else to do was the seat covering - so I knew it must be hard!
I'll have a look at the old coverings tomorrow and see how they look.
Well done Tim, a few more items ticked off your listIt's been a little quiet on the Corvette front these last 2 weeks but I have managed to do a few things., starting with ....
Floor reinforcements! The parking/emergency brake plate was fairly corroded but structurally good. The floor area under the plate was cleaned up.
View attachment 10317View attachment 10318
The plate was originally secured with big head fasteners on both sides but pop rivets wouldn't give that strength/support on both sides so I created some reinforcement plates for each of the items. I painted them to stop them corroding - not original and theoretically they will never be seen but I don't want to have to do this again .....
View attachment 10319
As fitted they look like this ...
View attachment 10320View attachment 10321
The licence plate was in very poor shape - borderline junk to be honest. However I decided to fill some holes with weld, cleaned off the rust and reinforced it with fibreglass. After painting if looked like this. The gasket was unserviceable so I made a new one from cork/rubber gasket material.
View attachment 10322View attachment 10323
Now ready to go back on. It hasn't got a bulb in it at the moment but I'll put an LED in it in due course.
View attachment 10324
Lastly I repaired the damaged rear light attachment area - the holes were badly damaged on both areas. Unfortunately the light recesses on the driver side are in even worse shape so they will be repaired next week.
View attachment 10326View attachment 10325
Not shown, I also managed to remove the rear wiring loom. I will have a look a this later in the build but I will almost certainly replace it. Probably be the cause of endless electrical problems if I don't.