72 Corvette - Restoration Updates

TimP

CCCUK Member
I thought I'd start a thread of various updates on my 72 small block starting this week with .....

Engine removal, achieved with a friend's help.

Engine bay - engine out-small.JPG

Gearbox (manual) also out and awaiting inspection Cross-member being repainted in a somewhat messy corner of the workshop. Having said that it doesn't get any tidier in the rest of it.
X-member-small.JPG

TimP

CCCUK Member
Over the years I seem to have picked up a fair selection of Thor hammers - I think I have four now, all picked up from boot fairs or auctions. Lots of opportunities for Thor thumbs gags too....
I'm not an expert on crossmembers but this is the one that was on the car when I bought it and it all seems to fit very nicely to the manual gearbox other than that the mount is completely shot. Is there a distinguishing mark or characteristic that would allow me to check that I have the right one?

Hope to post an update on this thread once a week or so.

Corvette

Well-known user
If you have unbolted tranny crossmember then that chassis came from an automatic car. Manual car crossmembers can be removed with an angle grinder as they are welded on !

TimP

CCCUK Member
Hi Corvette, Many thanks for the technical guidance on this - you have also solved a small mystery that I had forgotten about:sleep:

When I first got the car home I investigated the CKX engine code - which showed up as being for a Turbo Hydramatic transmission. I had put this down as a question for me to resolve at a later - and then forgot about it. (also possibly explains why the hole in the floor for the gear level has been modded). I have also looked at the serial number P1B16A on the transmission casing (serial # 3925661) which identifies it as a standard M20 gearbox build on the 16 Feb 1971. So someone at some point swapped the original automatic for this manual (see pic below).

Ironically, after I bought the car but before it was delivered I discovered that I have severe arthritis in my knees and I was regretting not buying an automatic - turns out that I did. :)

So that leaves an interesting dilemma bearing in mind that either option will require some spend: should I rebuild what I have or should I rebuild as it should be?

How light or heavy is a standard clutch on a stock small block in good working order?

Gearbox-small.JPG

Corvette

Well-known user
Has the car retained it’s auto radiator? Clutch pedal will never be as light as a modern car whatever clutch you have in it. Did you drive the car before working on it?

TimP

CCCUK Member
I would have to check on the radiator but it needs to be replaced whichever way I go as it's in a pretty poor state. The car wasn't running when I got it (far from it) but I had sat in the drivers seat, pushed the pedals and selected various gears with the gearlever - possibly making brm-brm noises too - and everything seemed to operate ok. The clutch wasn't particularly heavy as I remember but it probably wasn't working properly either.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Apologies Oneball - just noticed your question about the body coming off. Yes I hope to get that off as there are a number of things I would like to get to underneath. That's going to be my next mini-project - build a dolly and lifting frame and see what's lurking below.

Roscobbc

Clutch pedal weight. Following emergency removal of lower disc in my back some years ago and subsequent nerve damage I struggle to drive manual cars. Oddly a modern car with ultra light clutch is impossible for me as I can't 'feel' the bite point when it engages. I can however drive and change gear in the Vette without too much issue as the seating position is low and the pedals are directly in front of me. I'm using a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch which comfortably handles the big block and as a bonus has a slightly lighter action than stock. Why is it that stock manual C6's have a heavy clutch action and Z06 version has a lighter clutch!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have a stock 327 and 4 speed manual in my 1968 C3. I really like the clutch pedal action and find it quite light and nice to operate. As mentioned above the position of the seat and pedals makes for a nice operation.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Not done too much this week apart from painting of various parts but the vacuum system jig is coming along - made a bracket for the vacuum reservoir....

Wiper jig 1.JPG
and cleaned the bellhousing.
Bellhousing clean 1.JPG

This week I will tidy up the gearbox/gear lever linkage, clean up and inspect the gearbox and (hopefully) complete the vacuum system jig