C3 Race Car Build

Dazaa

Well-known user
Have you considered slotting the upper A arms to increase the caster? I did mine because the borg steering box calls for 4/5 degrees of caster, apparently in stock form the c3 has 0 degrees which is why the steering is so crap compared to a new car.

Alexm

CCCUK Member
Have you considered slotting the upper A arms to increase the caster? I did mine because the borg steering box calls for 4/5 degrees of caster, apparently in stock form the c3 has 0 degrees which is why the steering is so crap compared to a new car.
Hi Dazza
What do you mean by slotting the upper A arms ?
I’m just fitting the Borgeson steering box (with the bracing plate, ) and as nothing mentioned in the instructions was assuming could get the extra required caster playing with the chassis spacer plates ?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
He means elongating the holes in the a arm pivots so the can be moved back on the chassis.

I’ve got a set of offset pivots that give more negative camber and along with more spacers at the rear stud to increase caster.

248C57FD-7146-4303-957C-735C28DF4C59.jpeg

Diff crossmember attached with solid mounts
A1FE1C25-9A6D-4DBD-B5AA-FBCD9A57785B.jpeg

And front suspension on08D30EA6-A401-437E-8A3C-7D14497B0679.jpeg

Dazaa

Well-known user
Lovely! How did you figure out how many spacers to fit? I was just going to reassemble with the same no as came off but assume theres a way to measure?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Lovely! How did you figure out how many spacers to fit? I was just going to reassemble with the same no as came off but assume theres a way to measure?

Complete guess. It’ll probably be nowhere near but I won’t be able to set it up till it’s all done anyway. Don’t even know if the front ride height will be right yet.

Dazaa

Well-known user
Hi Dazza
What do you mean by slotting the upper A arms ?
I’m just fitting the Borgeson steering box (with the bracing plate, ) and as nothing mentioned in the instructions was assuming could get the extra required caster playing with the chassis spacer plates ?

I don't want to take over Oneballs thread so have a look at the last page of my build thread over on the US Vette forum, Leigh1322 explains that from stock the c3 has 1 degree of caster for manual steering and 2.5 degrees for power, by slotting the A arms 1/4" it allows you to move them back towards the firewall and increase the caster to the 5/6 degrees as needed for the borgeson box, I don't believe this is possible with shims alone.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Steering column assembled with a new indicator mech and minus the locks, shift tube etc. I didn’t realise but it didn’t have the top locking plate and spring when I got it so need to get those.

Few more bits cleaned.

Steering rod disassembled to clean, paint and re grease

The pitman arm isn’t budging from the box though, heat, Plus Gas, big hammer, puller, nowt working so have left it over night with the puller on and soaking in plus gas.

Dazaa

Well-known user
My pitman arm was also stuck tight, had to use a large ball joint breaker to pop it off, nothing else worked.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Not a lot of progress this evening, pitman arm still won’t budge.

Painted the master cylinder and steering relay rod.

Cleaned the pedal trims and fitted new rubbers

Had a ligbulb moment and went through the box I’d put all the crap that was in the car when I got it in and found the steering column lock plate and spring.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Pedals are now in place along with the column mount.

Servo and master cylinder too, need some weight at the front to balance it out.

Trial fit the body to the chassis, only a trial fit as I need to drill the rear mount I replaced and have to gauge how to cut the floors to lower the seats and mount them directly to the chassis.

All fits and with everything measured, body off again

Floor cut, once the driver’s side is done and ive got a longer drill bit to put split pins in for the rear arm shins the body will go back on.

Got a new puller and the pitman arm just slide off, something I’d done must have loosened it.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
So what's the point of cutting the floor?

Two reasons. The seat and harness needs to mount to the chassis for safety, so will build a frame welded to that and mount the seat to it rather to the fibreglass floor. I also need to lower the seat so I can fit in the car with a helmet on. It’s pretty normal thing to do on C3 race cars. Example here.

4ED14FB5-BA21-4B6E-9A24-B221209645F9.png

johng

CCCUK Member
I've got the opposite problem, I'm thinking of adding spacers under the runners, so I can see over the bonnet! Also, forgot you've got a fibreglass floor, mine's steel.