C3 Race Car Build

Dazaa

Well-known user
Pretty much. Haven’t completely decided on the dash but the only bit of Vette you’re likely to see will be the dash top. Everything else is gone.

i’d be up for buying a lot of the interior plastic trim if you still have it, mines all been replaced with 76 stuff which doesnt fit properly

Oneball

CCCUK Member

Almost there but on starting to clean the underside what I thought would be an easy clean isn’t. It’s covered in underseal so that’s going to be a fair effort to remove. Smeg!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Ready for some paint. Phew 🙃

Painted the internal cavities and any bits that had any surface rust with Eastwood Internal Frame coating. The visible stuff will be black anyway. But if you want something factory spec it’s a perfect colour match for the original birdcage finish.

82B68406-FC85-4B3F-8674-4B13970C7AA9.jpeg7D503A05-75D6-452C-95EF-5092529ADA8F.jpeg4F8C7BE3-2602-425D-8E8F-6206BEF291DE.jpeg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Pedals and steering column mounts painted.

Unfortunately the column and shroud reacted with the paint so back to square one with those.

johng

CCCUK Member
That's interesting, still got to paint my column. What paint were you using? Looks like a can of U-Pol on the workmate. Did you de-grease them first?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It’s reacted with something on the surface rather than the paint.

Yep, cleaned, degreased, sanded, degreased again. I was using Halfords regular spray. I then sanded and degreased it again and tried some Upol etch primer. Same thing happened. I reckon it’s got silicone spray on there it’s a proper nightmare to get off. Will douse it in brake cleaner and start again tomorrow.

Roscobbc

I've been trying to clean off Hylomar gasket paste off the oil pan lip (prior to re-installation) on my '68 BB Vette - wish that brake cleaner or petrol would work (that's all I've got) - it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I've been trying to clean off Hylomar gasket paste off the oil pan lip (prior to re-installation) on my '68 BB Vette - wish that brake cleaner or petrol would work (that's all I've got) - it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket!

Sharp chisel or scrapper. If it’s got dimples then a wire brush works well.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Cellulose thinners (some of your nail varnish remover) may work?