C3 Race Car Build

Dazaa

Well-known user
[QUOTE="Oneball, post: 8175, member:

What size wheels are you running Dazaa?
[/QUOTE]

16x10 front and back but finding 255/55/16 tires is looking pretty difficult so i’m going to rebuild the rears with 17” barrels. fronts are 245 45 16 which look great, easily found and cheap.

Last edited:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Arches positioned and drilled, time to get cutting. :eek: AA934EC0-9CBD-4F63-BCEA-95B1CDF5DE9A.jpeg838DD6D5-BE1C-4164-9F3A-D49A15C9ED72.jpeg0CC151FE-288D-4A83-82F6-E706C7DA3AB9.jpeg

Fit is really good, better than I hoped for. They came from Scott at CorvetteKingdom

Roscobbc

Apologies if I missed this earlier on in the thread but what wheel diameter/width/offset were you planning using? (seem to recall 16" dia but could be wrong) - and what regulations, availability, usage etc has determined your selection?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Awesome....but are you sure the car will fit back out through the garage door? looks tight!!

Yep loads of room the doors are 2.5m. It’s the gate down the side of the house that’s tighter I did measure that!

Apologies if I missed this earlier on in the thread but what wheel diameter/width/offset were you planning using? (seem to recall 16" dia but could be wrong) - and what regulations, availability, usage etc has determined your selection?

Will be running 15” x 10”. I think 4” or 4.5” offset but can’t remember. Although the race series I’m probably going to do is pretty free, to get FIA papers it needs to be period correct and although CSLs and 935s ran 16” in IMSA the Vettes, even the Greenwood widebody ones, were running 15”. Tyres will be Avons and the largest they do in a 15” will fit on a 10” wheel. No handbrake and a shorter spring but standard arms.

Cut

And bonded.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
For some reason the right side didn’t go off. Presumably I can’t have put enough hardener in. So had to remove it, clean it all up and start again.

Back on now and another skim of fibreglass filler and sanded back.

37AC049A-4923-45F2-9DCA-A9850D0C3D66.jpeg2B8B7530-1F19-4B24-8C67-8D8BE571739F.jpeg39908F27-4D57-4404-AF05-D8A7F8CF2700.jpeg

Will put a layer of mat over the join and then blend in with normal filler.

johng

CCCUK Member
Your garage is starting to look pretty dusty, going to need a good clean up before paint. I tried using my shed to sandblast some big items over the winter, when it was too wet and windy to do outside. I thought I'd sheeted it fairly well, but the grit still got everywhere.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Yep it gets everywhere. I’ll strip and replace the sheeting and it’ll have a thorough clean when I’ve finished with the filler.

Dazaa

Well-known user
Now that makes total sense, I was over complicating things. I may have asked before, but are you keeping the stock steering system? Currently looking at a Borgeson upgrade for mine.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Now that makes total sense, I was over complicating things. I may have asked before, but are you keeping the stock steering system? Currently looking at a Borgeson upgrade for mine.

Yes the rules don’t allow anything else.

Is the Borgeson one the one with a box?

I don’t like the rack ones they screw up the geometry

Dazaa

Well-known user
Yes the rules don’t allow anything else.

Is the Borgeson one the one with a box?

I don’t like the rack ones they screw up the geometry

Thats the kit I just ordered. It's a shame you have to keep the stock system, from what i've read they leak no matter what.

Oneball

CCCUK Member

Thats the kit I just ordered. It's a shame you have to keep the stock system, from what i've read they leak no matter what.

I’m going with non PAS and rebuilding the box so fingers crossed it doesn’t.

Alben78

Well-known user

Rebuilt mine once and replaced twice. Original rebuild lasted about 15 years before starting to drip but only a small amount. Decided to replace with a rebuilt unit which leaked the whole system from full to empty in a day. Replaced by vendor and replacement has been oil tight for the last 7 or 8 years so far. Replaced all pipe work with second replacement so this may have helped as well.