Welcome to the new CCCUK website!
Our old website is still available but no longer open for new posts. Click here to visit it. Click here for more information.
If you're not already a member of the CCCUK, join now!

C3 Race Car Build

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I seem to have spent the whole day cleaning and all there is to show is.

4449

Tomorrow I’ll start fibreglassing the gazillion holes in the bulkhead that need sealing. :sleep:
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Fingers crossed last weld repair done to the birdcage, bit complicated as had to do both outside and side the rear left mount.

4461
4462

Got the floor and bulkhead clean too just need to do the “boot”

4463
 

johng

CCCUK Member
What are your number 2 mounts like? With the amount of rust you had in the windscreen frame, I'm surprised they are not rusty too (mine were).
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
What are your number 2 mounts like? With the amount of rust you had in the windscreen frame, I'm surprised they are not rusty too (mine were).
They’re ok. Had to do a repair between the 1 and 2 mounts. But the no 2 mounts only had very light surface rust but have cleaned up fine. I think the windscreen rust was because 20 years ago the header rail was leaking into the car someone bodged a seal and trapped water in the windscreen frame.
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Got the block and heads back after being skimmed and having new valves put in, just waiting for the flywheel to turn up so I can get the crank balanced and it can go back together

4464
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Trying to get all the messy stuff done I’ve started investigating the previous repairs to the crash damage on the rear quarter. The paint was cracked so I knew there was some dodgy filler work, low and behold half a ton of bondo smoothered what were cracks but then seem to have been angle ground out, presumably so they could get more filler in there. Utter cockblock and I’ve not even got to the actual rear end yet.

02FE2471-A95C-40D3-8898-199F5800453A.jpegB0D0416B-0DD3-4E5D-8456-26099D255B54.jpeg6FACE215-B676-4003-A5B0-9837594657A9.jpeg7ECAB24B-9B3D-4839-97FF-4F00BE0C64D2.jpeg
 

johng

CCCUK Member
Oh boy that looks nasty. What are using to get the paint off? I've got a guy coming to price mine up for a paint job on Sunday, hope I haven't got anything like yours hiding under the paint.
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The paint is relatively easy to remove as it’s not really stuck to the primer, just a razor blade and a bit of heat. Some thinners then get the primer off.

I’m using a lot more heat and a meaty scraper to remove the filler. Most fillers go quite soft with heat, the bits where the filler is over paint just peels off in sheets.
 
Last edited:

Dazaa

CCCUK Member
what a strange place for the body to be damaged, makes you wonder how big of an impact caused that....and whats under the paint further towards the rear end...
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It’s had a shunt on that corner. I reckon the wing and rear panel were replaced and the rest bodged. Will need repairing properly with fibreglass to stick any paint cracks. It had also broken the body mount, battery tray and “boot” which I’ve already glassed.

11C219FE-97E7-4336-BFCF-25DBCBD3C0E2.jpeg1B8452DA-4DD1-42AB-AD21-CB502C5DAE4C.jpegAC5A7724-BA87-49D1-8035-9370D30F9440.jpeg20EE2452-2960-4B82-B772-4754AECA1031.jpeg
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Has anyone got a photo of the t top locating bracket that sits on the b pillar, you can see the mounting holes in the above photo. Just want to see what it looks like when it’s on the car.
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks Dazaa that helps, not sure I’ve got the chrome bit next to it though.

The flares aren’t too bad, there’s only 1/4” gap in places!
 

Dazaa

CCCUK Member
You have no idea how lucky you are that you got a decent set of flares. I'm in the process of glassing mine now and both passenger side had to be cut in 3 places to get the shape right, I think they had been removed from the mould before the epoxy was fully set so the shapes were terrible.
 

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You have no idea how lucky you are that you got a decent set of flares. I'm in the process of glassing mine now and both passenger side had to be cut in 3 places to get the shape right, I think they had been removed from the mould before the epoxy was fully set so the shapes were terrible.
The other thing that might be affecting you is the L88 flares are designed for the 68-69 cars.

They changed the shape of the lower portion of the wings in 1970 to stop stone chipping.
 

Dazaa

CCCUK Member
The other thing that might be affecting you is the L88 flares are designed for the 68-69 cars.

They changed the shape of the lower portion of the wings in 1970 to stop stone chipping.
Sadly cutting the bottom of the wings was the easy part. Driver side fitted nicely, passenger side were both about 4 inches too long so bending them in to shape caused the top to flex outwards so there was a 1inch" between the arch and the tire (other side is less than 1/4") so it looked terrible. Got there in the end after cutting it in to three pieces.
 

Attachments

Top