C3 Race Car Build

johng

CCCUK Member
It did take me ages to get all the air out, mind you I think if you are not careful you just suck air in down the side of the bleed nipples when you're using vacuum, I just cracked them a tiny bit and only used a small amount of vacuum

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It did take me ages to get all the air out, mind you I think if you are not careful you just suck air in down the side of the bleed nipples when you're using vacuum, I just cracked them a tiny bit and only used a small amount of vacuum

yes you definitely do. But it doesn’t get into the system.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
What are you thinking? Problem with a master cylinder seal perhaps?

I’ve had it off and it’s not leaking. Also checked the push rod adjustment in the booster and that’s ok. Might just be air in the system but it seems odd. Both m/c and booster are new. Checked it both with engine running and not and it’s the same.

johng

CCCUK Member
Seems to me that either a flow restriction or mechanical friction somewhere are the most likely causes. Wonder if there could be some sort of airlock in the master cylinder that is slowing down fluid return to the reservoir. Or perhaps a seal is out of place causing friction. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? I didn't but I was reusing my old one so it may well have had a small amount of fluid trapped in it.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Seems to me that either a flow restriction or mechanical friction somewhere are the most likely causes. Wonder if there could be some sort of airlock in the master cylinder that is slowing down fluid return to the reservoir. Or perhaps a seal is out of place causing friction. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? I didn't but I was reusing my old one so it may well have had a small amount of fluid trapped in it.

no but mine has got bleed nipples on the m/c itself so figured wasn’t necessary

johng

CCCUK Member
I was thinking if you had bench bled it you might have noticed whether the piston returned quickly after you pushed it in. If it did then the problem must be elsewhere. How about the pedal assembly any chance something is binding there?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Looking good Tim, Congrats on the Start Up - She now lives - Good choice of wheels are they 15"?, and I see you are on the Avons, it will be good to have a report on those in the future for the other C3 Guys, in particular the wet weather grip.
Well done Tim you are on the Home Run now

Roscobbc

I'm guessing the Avon's are 'race - only' (rather than EU compliant track day tyres) and perhaps not road legal?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Looking good Tim, Congrats on the Start Up - She now lives - Good choice of wheels are they 15"?, and I see you are on the Avons, it will be good to have a report on those in the future for the other C3 Guys, in particular the wet weather grip.
Well done Tim you are on the Home Run now

Yep 15” 275 & 295.
They’re often used as a ‘wet’ for racing.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I'm guessing the Avon's are 'race - only' (rather than EU compliant track day tyres) and perhaps not road legal?
No they are road legal and an alternative for some of the C3 Guys, I have not been a fan of the Tread Pattern for the wet and consequently have never tried them, they are more expensive (if I remember correctly) than the usual US Coopers and the like - Avon are now owned by Cooper

Roscobbc

No they are road legal and an alternative for some of the C3 Guys, I have not been a fan of the Tread Pattern for the wet and consequently have never tried them, they are more expensive (if I remember correctly) than the usual US Coopers and the like - Avon are now owned by Cooper
Seem to recall that Avon in the UK perhaps supplied other USA companies with their tyres - one being Hoosier?

Oneball

CCCUK Member

They’re really liked in the wet by a lot of people both race and hillclimb.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It moves under its own steam for the first time in almost 18 months, doesn’t stop though. Can’t get the brakes bled and the pedal is slow to return so not sure what’s going on there yet.
Could the proportioning valve be playing up? I’ve heard that they can get stuck if the system has been empty of fluid.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I think that these are what Pete (Knodty) had fitted to his car by Car SOS. He was surprised they had fitted these as they are pretty much a race tyre….he reckons they’re superb grip-wise. They got that bit right.

During my spell with production saloon car racing on treaded “road“ tyres, the thing to do was get most of the tread depth rubber shaved off a set of new tyres for dry weather racing. With the full depth tread they would overheat in no time and be useless.