C3 Race Car Build

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It’s around 11-1. Yes. Always run cams in. People talk like it’s a new thing but I’ve been running cams in on everything I’ve built for 25 years.
It’s probably becoming an ”old thing” with the popularity of retro fit roller followers somewhat negating the need to break-in.
Are you using a running-in oil?

Roscobbc

It’s around 11-1. Yes. Always run cams in. People talk like it’s a new thing but I’ve been running cams in on everything I’ve built for 25 years.
Far from being a 'new' thing - oddly going back a little further I'm not so sure people really bothered quite so much about the cam running-in procedure - probably didn't bother too much about valve springs or timing things-up correctly either.........

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
I have always run in my flat hydraulic lifter cams ,I v`e seen what happened to a mates cam when he didn't he came round in he`s hot rod and it was missing on 2 cylinders. timing was as near spot on .he drove it home and it ran worse .after a full check over he notice the oil had metal bits in. after a strip down we saw the damage ,cam and lifters damaged he was lucky it did n`t damage any thing else.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Always a rewarding milestone Tim - congratulations! If not quite Brrrmm-Brrrmmm at least Brrmm! (y)
Put me in mind of my own first start - of a V8 - a few years ago....

https://flic.kr/p/2m4S5gD
Even more productive first shot than yours perhaps - but then I have to admit, I didn't build the engine....:oops:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That is one fantastic looking and sounding engine . (y)

It’s a bit tappety. So we’ll see tomorrow now the cams run in if it’s all ok once I’ve set them hot.

Paint on the headers has all flaked off. The cap on the rad decided to spray coolant everywhere even though it’s a non relief. I’ve bent the tabs over a bit more but will try and find a better one.

Leak from one of the water pump bolts so need to sort that somehow. Wonder if it’s a common thing on these

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It moves under its own steam for the first time in almost 18 months, doesn’t stop though. Can’t get the brakes bled and the pedal is slow to return so not sure what’s going on there yet.
852D7E70-0025-4D5F-A642-DF73610E741A.jpeg

johng

CCCUK Member
How are you bleeding the brakes? I did mine first by gravity for a few hours, then gave it a bit of encouragement with a vacuum pump to pull the fluid through and finally the old fashioned "one person pressing the pedal and the other opening and closing the bleed nipples" method.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Vacuum bleeder from the compressor. It might just have a load of air still in it. It’s not lost any overnight