C3 Race Car Build

Roscobbc

The one that’s leaking is the only one of the 4 that isn’t a blind hole, it’s goes into the water jacket. If it doesn’t settle will try a Loctite rather than a PTFE paste.
Mine was a 'blind' tapped hole - leaks were from mating surface of pump to block - not thru' bolt hole itself........

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Rear lights cleaned.
F3E4D6E3-14AB-4F20-B596-9CCC4CC1658B.jpeg
Painted
02AAB483-56CC-40DD-BA4F-D947FB0F3F25.jpeg
And I’ve pressed in new non-Corvette holders as the originals were bent and the pig tails missing.
BD81A000-FAC4-4CDB-8B85-E9ACE1DC8C40.jpeg
Also have confirmed nothing wrong with the servo but the return spring is missing on the pedal. So column and pedal box out.
1B218AE0-30AC-49C7-9399-5261B844F475.jpeg7C55431F-387C-4E1C-951D-41854D483181.jpeg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Second opinion/ thoughts please.

Brakes are fully bled but the pedal is slow to return. I’ve sent the servo off to be tested and it’s ok. The pedal doesn’t stick and neither does the master cylinder. With the servo off the car when you press it in it returns slowly.

Video of pedal in action: Corvette - oneball

johng

CCCUK Member
Sounds to me as if either there is some friction between the rod and the case, the air can't flow quickly enough out of the rear of the case, or the booster return spring is broken. Do you know what testing was done to establish that it is OK?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Sounds to me as if either there is some friction between the rod and the case, the air can't flow quickly enough out of the rear of the case, or the booster return spring is broken. Do you know what testing was done to establish that it is OK?

Compared speed of return with another.

Have you got power brakes on yours? How quickly does it return without the engine running?

johng

CCCUK Member
I have got power brakes, but I'm in Gibraltar at the moment so can't press my brake pedal! Also my tablet won't play your video

johng

CCCUK Member
Just had a thought, if the servo is off the car or the engine isn't running then the check valve would stop airflow into the front of the servo. This might slow the movement. Have you tried removing the check valve?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Just had a thought, if the servo is off the car or the engine isn't running then the check valve would stop airflow into the front of the servo. This might slow the movement. Have you tried removing the check valve?

Yep. No difference with or without the check valve.

johng

CCCUK Member
Not sure what else you can do then without dismantling the servo! By the way it's cloudy here tonight but still 22C

johng

CCCUK Member
Tim, I'm not pleased. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about your servo!!! Do you still have the problem with the pedal spring replaced, the brakes fully bled and the engine running? I think all of these could affect how quickly the pedal returns.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Tim, I'm not pleased. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about your servo!!! Do you still have the problem with the pedal spring replaced, the brakes fully bled and the engine running? I think all of these could affect how quickly the pedal returns.

Me too.

Yep same problem with new pedal spring and fully bled. If anything it’s even slower to return with the engine running. Only reason I can think fir this is the valve in the servo isn’t balancing the pressure either side of the diaphragm when the pedal is released.
View my video at Corvette - oneball

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I’ve just checked how my brake pedal behaves for your reference. It returns instantly. I would say there is as much force on its return as when depressed. I can hear a faint hiss of air in the servo as the pedal returns.

johng

CCCUK Member
Me too.

Yep same problem with new pedal spring and fully bled. If anything it’s even slower to return with the engine running. Only reason I can think fir this is the valve in the servo isn’t balancing the pressure either side of the diaphragm when the pedal is released.
View my video at Corvette - oneball
Yes it sounds like the valve is only letting the air pass very slowly from the rear to the front chamber. If that's the case then I guess you need a new servo.